• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round 2 Libya

Gaddafi Flees Libya's Capital, Islamists Rise Up

Gaddafi Flees Libya's Capital; Islamists Rise Up Across Nation

Monday, 21 Feb 2011 09:25 AM

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi is believed to have fled the capital Tripoli after anti-government demonstrators breached the state television building and set government property alight, London's Daily Mail reported early Monday.

Protesters appear to have gained a foothold in Tripoli as banks and government buildings were looted while demonstrators have claimed they have taken control of the second city Benghazi.

It is thought up to 400 people may have died in the unrest with dozens more reported killed in Tripoli overnight as protests reached the capital for the first time and army units were said to have defected to the opposition..............

I find it interesting Isiah foretells that both Egypt and Libya will be converted to the Gospel in the last days but that Libya will fight against Israel in the Battle of Armageddon (I wonder how that works).

Ex-leader Gorbachev Slams Russia's Putin

Had to put this in the thread as it ties in with what the future might hold.

Ex-leader Gorbachev Slams Russia's Putin

Monday, 21 Feb 2011 02:02 PM

By Denis Dyomkin

MOSCOW, Feb 21 (Reuters) - Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev criticised Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on Monday for monopolising power in Russia and robbing the electorate of what he says was a real democratic choice.

Putin, who ruled as president from 2000-2008, is widely seen as Russia's paramount leader. He has said President Dmitry Medvedev, whom he steered into the Kremlin three years ago, and he will decide together who will stand in the March 2012 presidential elections.

In some of Gorbachev's harshest criticism yet of the current set up, he slammed Putin as "shameless" and accused him of "conceit" in thinking he could decide Russia's elections. "It is shameless ... such conceit is unbelievable," Gorbachev, whose bold reforms helped trigger the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union, told reporters.

"This is not Putin's business. It is the business of the nation. It is the business of elections. It is the business of those who will vote," he said.

"Are others not even allowed to run?"

Gorbachev joins a marginalised Russian opposition who accuse Putin of wielding too much power, disregarding many freedoms and not holding fair elections.

In the two decades since the Soviet collapse, Russia "has come no more than half-way" on the path toward democracy, Gorbachev said.

"We have a parliament, courts, a president, a prime minister ... But you know that this is little more than imitation," he said.

Likening Putin's ruling United Russia party to the Soviet Communist Party, Gorbachev said democratic institutions in today's Russia were broken because the pro-Kremlin party dominated in parliament.

"United Russia looks to me like the worst copy of the Soviet Communist Party," he said, adding that such political monopolies lead to "stagnation".

Gorbachev told Reuters last year that the Kremlin's economic modernisation drive that Medvedev is championing would not succeed without improvements in democracy and the electoral system.

Last week Gorbachev said the popular revolts in Egypt and Tunisia were a warning to autocrats the world over. (Writing by Alissa de Carbonnel)

Oil Prices Soar on Fears Libyan Crisis Will Spread

Oil Prices Soar on Fears Libyan Crisis Will Spread

Tuesday, 22 Feb 2011 07:09 AM

Oil prices soared to the highest level in more than two years as violence spiraled out of control in Libya and Moammar Gadhafi's grip weakened, threatening the country's sizable oil exports and raising concerns that violence would spread to other major oil producers in the Middle East. . . . . . .

Time: Gadhafi Orders Sabotage to Oil Facilities

Tuesday, 22 Feb 2011 03:17 PM

Time magazine's intelligence columnist reported on Tuesday that Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi has ordered his security forces to sabotage the country's oil facilities, citing a source close to the government.

In a column posted on Time's website, Robert Baer said the sabotage would begin by blowing up pipelines to the Mediterranean. However he added that the same source had also told him two weeks ago that unrest in neighboring countries would never spread to Libya — an assertion that has turned out to be wrong.

"Among other things, Gadhafi has ordered security services to start sabotaging oil facilities," Baer wrote. "The sabotage, according to the insider, is meant to serve as a message to Libya's rebellious tribes: It's either me or chaos." . . . . . . .

• 1 month later...

Get ready for the price of gas to keep spiking because of all the unrest. I think it is going to $150-200 per barrell in the next few months.

It has been two months since prophetofdoom's prophecy. Today's oil price is $112.29 for WTI crude, $124 for Brentwood.

This is an example of why I have a real hard time listening to the average internet doomsayer.

It has been two months since prophetofdoom's prophecy. Today's oil price is $112.29 for WTI crude, $124 for Brentwood.

This is an example of why I have a real hard time listening to the average internet doomsayer.

I predict that everybody will be an internet doomsayer in the next 3 months, LM!

This will, and I don't think I'm exaggerating, DESTROY THE WORLD. :(