Hello everyone.

Like I said in my intro thread, I have an interesting story to tell. After being an agnostic for a very long time, I've started getting back in touch with my faith. I was raised Catholic, but it never really set right with me. In high school, I lost my belief in God. This year, though, I've been thinking so much about what life really means and what the purpose of everything is. Somehow, my investigations led to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. At first, I thought that Mormons were all crazy. Magic underwear, secret temples, Joseph Smith the con-man and all that. But the more I read about Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, the Church, and all the good that has come from it, the more I felt that maybe there was something right about this. I was in Salt Lake City for business a few weeks ago, and I went to Temple Square, just to see it and say "been there, done that". I felt very much at peace there. The people working at the visitor center and walking the grounds were very friendly. One group even invited us into the meeting house next to the temple. We declined, but I wanted to go in.

So, anyways, last week, I'd been drinking a bit (yes, I know it's bad, but I'm a heathen:D), and for the first time in a very very long time, I prayed. I got down on my knees and in all sincerity, I asked God about the church. I asked if it was true. I asked for a sign.

Nothing happened. No miracle, nothing. After a few days, I forgot all about it.

Until today. Almost a week later to the minute, two young female missionaries rang my doorbell. I was scared. I didn't open the door because my wife was there (she's agnostic and I don't know if she'd approve of joining a church. It's a conversation we have to have soon.) Also, I was scared because when I saw them, I remembered my prayer, and I can't help but think that this was the sign that I asked for.

I went on the mormon.org website and asked for contact from the missionaries afterwards. I think this change is something I need in my life. I hope that I will soon be sharing my experiences with you all in the coming weeks. I hope that God will touch my heart in the same way that I've seen in so many Saints that I've met throughout my life.

Thanks for listening.

Welcome. Yes, miracles do happen. I've known many converts who began with a small miracle like this one. In fact, I'm one of them. The Lord often gives us little miracles and spiritual experiences, like the peace you felt at Temple Square, to guide us gently into the gospel.

Have the discussion with your wife. Share these experiences and feelings with her. You may be surprised that she will either be supportive or even have had some experiences herself. The discussions with the missionaries will only cost some time and consideration. If it leads nowhere, then you have at least researched and considered this avenue. It if leads you back to God and his gospel, then it will have given you a treasure beyond measure.

Hello everyone.

Like I said in my intro thread, I have an interesting story to tell. After being an agnostic for a very long time, I've started getting back in touch with my faith. I was raised Catholic, but it never really set right with me. In high school, I lost my belief in God. This year, though, I've been thinking so much about what life really means and what the purpose of everything is. Somehow, my investigations led to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. At first, I thought that Mormons were all crazy. Magic underwear, secret temples, Joseph Smith the con-man and all that. But the more I read about Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, the Church, and all the good that has come from it, the more I felt that maybe there was something right about this. I was in Salt Lake City for business a few weeks ago, and I went to Temple Square, just to see it and say "been there, done that". I felt very much at peace there. The people working at the visitor center and walking the grounds were very friendly. One group even invited us into the meeting house next to the temple. We declined, but I wanted to go in.

So, anyways, last week, I'd been drinking a bit (yes, I know it's bad, but I'm a heathen:D), and for the first time in a very very long time, I prayed. I got down on my knees and in all sincerity, I asked God about the church. I asked if it was true. I asked for a sign.

Nothing happened. No miracle, nothing. After a few days, I forgot all about it.

Until today. Almost a week later to the minute, two young female missionaries rang my doorbell. I was scared. I didn't open the door because my wife was there (she's agnostic and I don't know if she'd approve of joining a church. It's a conversation we have to have soon.) Also, I was scared because when I saw them, I remembered my prayer, and I can't help but think that this was the sign that I asked for.

I went on the mormon.org website and asked for contact from the missionaries afterwards. I think this change is something I need in my life. I hope that I will soon be sharing my experiences with you all in the coming weeks. I hope that God will touch my heart in the same way that I've seen in so many Saints that I've met throughout my life.

Thanks for listening.

That's awesome :)

I'd say that was a small miracle. I knew a person that every time they asked for a sign she'd either see the missionaries, hear from them, or they'd stop by shortly after she prayed. (to the point where it was almost freaky)

Quick update: Still haven't been contacted by the missionaries. I wish I had opened the door last Sunday. :(

Oh well, maybe this is how I learn to be a little more patient. In the meantime, I downloaded the Mormon Channel app for my iPod and I've been listening to the radio and some of the General Conference lectures. I'm kind of lost, but still persevering. Thanks for the kind words everyone. :)

If it helps any, general conference is coming up...it will be broadcast (except for the priesthood broadcast, which will only be available at the ward buildings, but will be printed in the Ensign next month) on BYU channel if you have cable. Apr. 2 and 3rd

chat with a mormon on mormon.org, there are missionaries that chat with you, it's nice. :)

You bring up fond memories of the investigation part of my church experience.

If it helps any, general conference is coming up...it will be broadcast (except for the priesthood broadcast, which will only be available at the ward buildings, but will be printed in the Ensign next month) on BYU channel if you have cable. Apr. 2 and 3rd

chat with a mormon on mormon.org, there are missionaries that chat with you, it's nice. :)

You bring up fond memories of the investigation part of my church experience.

Jayanna,

I'm not sure if I get the BYU channel. I hardly ever watch TV anymore. It feels as though all my old favorites have betrayed me. I've tried to chat with the missionaries on mormon.org but, since I work nights, every time I have a chance to get on, they're off. :(

Oh well, I'll see what I can do with what I have. If you have anything to share about your investigative period, I'd love to hear it. In public or private message.

I'm dying to learn. :D

Update: Still no contact from the missionaries. I work nights, so I know that contacting me is not easy. I'm thinking about going to Sacrament meeting at the closest ward on Sunday to see what I can see.

I really wish I had opened my heart and my door to those missionaries that last Sunday.

Pray for me and my wife,

Corvus (known as James)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for their support. After spending so long away from any sort of community, I'd almost forgotten there are nice people out there. Juggling a lot of things in life (somewhat unexpectedly) at the moment: school, business, family. I've been reading some books written from the perspective of a Catholic that converted, and that's helping out a bit. I think I might get a little more proactive with the missionaries once everything settles down.

Conversion stories are as varied as the number of people telling them. However there seem to be some common threads. First is that the person felt the need for something more than they had in their life. Second they had a belief in some higher power. They may not have known what or who or if God was but they just had a feeling there was someone or some thing there. That small amount of faith got it all started. Sacrament is a good place to begin.

Hello James! I just want to pop in and welcome you. It's quite a journey once you get a foot on this path.

I have the same experience but in my case, I knelt down in prayer - as a devout Catholic, I was more comfortable using prayer books than actually coming up with my own words. My prayer only had 3 words - "God, help me.". That was it. But those 3 words felt like they were literally torn out of my heart - it was so raw in its sincerity. Not even 5 minutes later, the missionaries knock at my door. Yeah, it was kinda freaky. They've been coming to my house for dinner about once a month (my husband is LDS) because I felt sorry for them being so far away from their mothers. So, my husband was kinda surprised that they came without an appointment. They told my husband they're not quite sure why they came but one of them said they were planning on proselyting in the area and he had this urgent feeling that they needed to stop by my house first. I didn't come out of the room to meet them and my husband told them it wasn't a good time so they left. But that started me on the path.

It took me about 2 more years after that before I finally let go of my strong Catholic upbringing... it was a long and difficult journey. But now, I truly feel I'm where God wants me to be.

Edited by anatess

Hello James! I just want to pop in and welcome you. It's quite a journey once you get a foot on this path.

I have the same experience but in my case, I knelt down in prayer - as a devout Catholic, I was more comfortable using prayer books than actually coming up with my own words. My prayer only had 3 words - "God, help me.". That was it. But those 3 words felt like they were literally torn out of my heart - it was so raw in its sincerity. Not even 5 minutes later, the missionaries knock at my door. Yeah, it was kinda freaky. They've been coming to my house for dinner about once a month (my husband is LDS) because I felt sorry for them being so far away from their mothers. So, my husband was kinda surprised that they came without an appointment. They told my husband they're not quite sure why they came but one of them said they were planning on proselyting in the area and he had this urgent feeling that they needed to stop by my house first. I didn't come out of the room to meet them and my husband told them it wasn't a good time so they left. But that started me on the path.

It took me about 2 more years after that before I finally let go of my strong Catholic upbringing... it was a long and difficult journey. But now, I truly feel I'm where God wants me to be.

Thanks for sharing that with me, anatess. :D

What would you say was the most difficult part about stopping being a Catholic and starting being a Saint?

Thanks for sharing that with me, anatess. :D

What would you say was the most difficult part about stopping being a Catholic and starting being a Saint?

The Great Apostasy. Because, I couldn't even start reading the Book of Mormon until I came to a point where the Apostasy was a possibility. But, after I got through the Apostasy part, it still took me quite some time to then receive confirmation that the Book of Mormon is true.

I have to say though, that I could not have found the LDS church to be true if it meant that what I knew as a Catholic by confirmation of the Holy Spirit wasn't. In other words, my being LDS did not make me anti-Catholic. If that makes any sense to you at all.

Edited by anatess

anatess

That is an interesting story. It somewhat parallels mine although I have been LDS since I was 9. I was well advanced in years before I finally recognized that I too had a testimony. It was not an event. One day I just realized that what I had been taught and told for decades was in fact true. Many others have a similar story. Just being a member or coming from a long line of Mormons is meaningless. Every person has to find his own testimony and for some of us it is well down the road.

The Great Apostasy. Because, I couldn't even start reading the Book of Mormon until I came to a point where the Apostasy was a possibility. But, after I got through the Apostasy part, it still took me quite some time to then receive confirmation that the Book of Mormon is true.

I have to say though, that I could not have found the LDS church to be true if it meant that what I knew as a Catholic by confirmation of the Holy Spirit wasn't. In other words, my being LDS did not make me anti-Catholic. If that makes any sense to you at all.

I understand what you've said here completely. I've studied history, and I know that the Catholic Church co-opted a lot of pagan rituals and symbols in the process of converting the pagans. I can understand how that would lead to an apostasy. But, on the other hand, I do think that the Catholic faith has much more right than the protestant (and evangelical) offshoots took from it. In fact, I think that the fact that I grew up in the Catholic faith has prepared me for this adventure I seem to be taking soon. A few weeks ago, I ordered "Catholic Roots, Mormon Harvest" by Eric Shuster from Amazon. Written from the perspective as a devout Catholic who converted to the LDS faith, it has helped me to understand how the Catholic faith can be...well....95% right, but how that extra 5% can make all the difference.

I love my Catholic upbringing, I really do. It has made me the person I am today, even though I fell away a long time ago. I just feel, that maybe, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can take me closer to the Divine.

Looking forward to telling you all how the meeting goes,

James

Looks like you are on the right track!

I just wanted to share something I took out of today's sacrement meeting speaker - he said, "When trying to find out of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, it is not required to accept all of the truth all at one time.".

You will encounter something that you can't quite make sense out of. It is okay to put it down and move on to something else. Later on, you will find that you can pick it back up and it makes better sense when you have more understanding of another piece of the mosaic. So that, just because you can't find the proper spot of a piece in the mosaic doesn't necessarily mean the entire mosaic is useless.

That's how I learned (although, I went through the "slow path" because I was resistant to change). A piece starts to fit in the mosaic... I try to ignore it because I was resistant to change, but the truth of it stares at me right in the face and I can't help but humble myself before God and accept that it is true.

Best of luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I had my first meeting with the missionaries yesterday. Sister MacKenzie and Sister Carter were very nice. It was strange (to me) to pray so much. I'm not really in the habit of doing it. They asked me to try and pray at least once a day until the next meeting, so I'm doing that. I also got a copy of the Book of Mormon, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm hoping I can read the passages they recommended by our next meeting, which is tomorrow. They asked me if I was ready to commit to baptism, which I said no to, but I also told them I was more than willing to keep learning to make sure it was right for me, which made them very happy. I got to go inside an LDS building for the first time ever.

I had a good feeling for the rest of the day and I'm feeling good today. :)

Good afternoon Corvus! :)

Update:

I had my first meeting with the missionaries yesterday. Sister MacKenzie and Sister Carter were very nice. It was strange (to me) to pray so much. I'm not really in the habit of doing it. They asked me to try and pray at least once a day until the next meeting, so I'm doing that. I also got a copy of the Book of Mormon, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm hoping I can read the passages they recommended by our next meeting, which is tomorrow. They asked me if I was ready to commit to baptism, which I said no to, but I also told them I was more than willing to keep learning to make sure it was right for me, which made them very happy. I got to go inside an LDS building for the first time ever.

I had a good feeling for the rest of the day and I'm feeling good today. :)

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I've grown up with parents who were members but we weren't always active in the Church. It wasn't until I was maybe 11 or 12 that I began to go to church regularly and really begin to learn about my religion. For me I've never had one single grand event that has assured me of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Instead, I've had small events over the years, small assurances, and some beautiful experiences of the Spirit confirming things to my heart, that when taken together have built a strong testimony of the Church and what it teaches. Although many have great experiences where they have all things confirmed to them at once, I think we can also build our testimonies one step at a time. For me it has been key to just continue obeying and striving to live the commandments I understand with faith.

I'm genuinely happy to know you are beginning to learn about the gospel!

Kind Regards,

Finrock

Finrock,

It's the little things that have started to turn around for me that are leading me down this path. Ever since I got up the courage to contact the missionaries, I've been happier. They told me that it's one of the side effects of getting closer to the Holy Ghost. I just wish I didn't have to take a two week break. Gone on a business trip, but I've got my Book of Mormon to keep me company.

Corvus:

What an exciting time for you! I will certainly be praying for you during these next two weeks... enjoy the Book of Mormon! While I'm a convert to the LDS church (just baptized a week ago yesterday after having walked into Sacrament by myself three weeks before that), I grew up with the Book of Mormon with the church I was raised in, so it wasn't a new thing for me...

Good luck on this journey!