food storage for 2 people

dahlia

Dahlia,

To stop weevils, place a bit of dry ice in with your pastas, etc. It kills any eggs that may be in the container or product.

Not all the time, and dry ice is hard to come by. Can't get it here in my county. Can in Corvallis- but you have to order ahead and they won't sell you small quantities. My HT/VT gave me a 5 gallon bucket of flour- they did the dry ice thing, and when I opened it, the weevils were alive and kicking, 4 inch layer on the top worth of wiggling, very much alive weevils. The entire bucket of flour got dumped because the weevils were so many and it smelled gross.

That is why I put my 5 pound maximum bags of flour and un-ground wheat and grains in the freezer first, for a minimum of one month for that weight, then vacuum seal them to store in a cupboard.

That's because it was flour. The carbon dioxide cannot pass through the fine stuff thoroughly. However, in pasta and etc., it works fine. Still, no 100% guarantee.

Oh, okay. I still prefer putting in the freezer for several weeks.

• 3 months later...

Just noticed on that website. It's cheaper to purchase 12 of the 1 month supply than it is to purchase a 1 year supply. Each pail has the exact same contents. 119.00 X 12 = $1428.00 compared to paying 1495.00

We were having a lot of problems with pantry moths. Tried all sorts of sticky traps and although they caught a lot we still had them. I had read about the freezing to kill bugs and tried that with the bagged dog and cat food that were kept in and near the pantry. It just dawned on me about 2 months ago that the pantry moth problem was gone. I think that every time we bought a new bag of dog or cat food we reinfected the area. It really worked!