Online Journal Writing

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

Just curious if you keep an online journal and what you think about the experience, if you do it. I started one on a site called dailydiary.com a while ago, but I didn't like it, and have started at another site called keepandshare which is really for collaboration and not for journal writing, but I like it. Do you keep a journal online? If so, what do you think of online journal-writing?

Don't do it. I don't want my thoughts to be the property of some website.

I'll type out my thoughts and/or experiences and save them on my computer. Then I'll print it out and keep it all in a notebook. This has been especially helpful in my recovery. It's amazing to see where I was, the road I was on and where I ended up. I read through it often to remind myself that I'm doing OK.

I'm with slamjet. I have mine on an app on the iPad. I made sure it can save to pdf. Just didn't want to do all that writing and then the software company disappears, apple comes up with a new OS version and the app doesn't work anymore and all my journal is unusable and untransferrable.

I keep my in Word, but also back it up online, including a copy in GoogleDocs. That way if my computer dies or house burns down, I still have a backup. My thoughts are not so private as to worry about what happens on the Internet. And if I need to keep something so private that I don't want anyone ever to see it, why the heck would I write it down in a journal?

I keep an online journal in the background of my blog, as drafts rather than posts. I journal for sanity, to vent, to explore, to record significant stuff that is sacred to me, but still might be too sensitive to share broadly, to see my thoughts and examine them to see my own selfish motives that I might overlook or justify. Seeing things in black and white make it harder to rationalize away harmful thoughts. I keep it online and on my computer because computers die, and when that happens I can recapture my stuff from the internet.

:) I've been dropping by, but anything I would want to say is already being said so well by many other people. I'm doing well, and packing to go to the 175th anniversary of the Kirtland Temple this weekend. Also going to the lds visitors center there. Anyone here going?

Wish I could go! I have a cousin who lives a stone's throw from the temple that I've been meaning to visit. That's cool that you're going!

A good journal entry coming up, methinks. :)

:) I've been dropping by, but anything I would want to say is already being said so well by many other people. I'm doing well, and packing to go to the 175th anniversary of the Kirtland Temple this weekend. Also going to the lds visitors center there. Anyone here going?

I'll be at the Sunday morning session with two of my young women.

Toledo area. I've visited to the lds village once during a priesthood retreat, is that the kirtland stake center? If so, I'm familiar with where it is.

When you get off I-90 and turn right and go down that big hill, the stake center is at the bottom of it on the left. The temple (owned by your church) is up the hill another 1/4-1/2 mile or so if you keep going past it. The historical sites (owned by my church) (probably the "village" you're referring to -- the Whitney store, Whitney home, ashery, etc.) can be reached if you turn left at the light just past the stake center.

When you get off I-90 and turn right and go down that big hill, the stake center is at the bottom of it on the left. The temple (owned by your church) is up the hill another 1/4-1/2 mile or so if you keep going past it. The historical sites (owned by my church) (probably the "village" you're referring to -- the Whitney store, Whitney home, ashery, etc.) can be reached if you turn left at the light just past the stake center.

OK. I think I remember it now. We always stay at the red roof inn, and we would pass it on the way to the Temple?