LDS'ish Books

slamjet

I just got and am reading Discourses of Brigham Young by John A. Widtsoe. I'm finding it to be an amazing book. There's nothing earth shattering in it thus far, but it presents parts of Pres. Young's discourses in such a way that it's made me thing of what I know vs how it really is. Probably because I'm learning more about what the Gospel is about in a Christ centered way rather than rules and regulations.

Anyhow, it made me wonder if there are any other book, discourses or compilations that are out there that I should put on my list to get (outside of the usual Church manuals).

Thus far I own:

-Earth in the Beginning by Skousen

-God Wants a Powerful People by Dew

-Talking With God by Millet

-Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia by Brewster

-Understanding Isaiah by Parry & Peterson

-The History of Joseph Smith my Lucy Mack Smith

-They Walked with God by Crowther

-The Inevitable Apostasy by Callister

-Lectures on Faith

-New Testament with the Joseph Smith Translations

as well as Jesus the Christ, Articles of Faith and the Church History set of volumes.

Any suggestions to put on my future purchase and read list?

My wife received A Marvelous Work and A Wonder by LeGrand Richards at her Baptism, we are currently going through it a chapter at a time a few times a week after scripture study.

I also picked up "Fathers as Patriarchs" by Grant Von Harrison which I have learned so much and it has helped my testimony grow in leaps and bounds.

Slamjet, are you looking for biographical books, historical/cultural books, or mostly doctrinally-based books?

Mostly doctrinal, but I'm open to anything. I'm not familiar to what's out there so I'm compiling a list and seeing what I think about it. I ran into the Brigham Young one quite accidentally and got me thinking what else is out there that I'm missing out on.

For instance, I tried reading the Infinite Atonement by Callister because all the missionaries wanted it so bad. But it was extremely difficult for me to read because of all the floral prose that really didn't help explain anything. So I gave it to a missionary who was going home as a gift. After that, I thought I'd see what everyone else was or has read church-wise.

This book was just published last year, and I haven't read it, but I personally know the author, and based on his knowledge and personality, I'm sure it's a good read. It's more cultural/historical, though.

Amazon.com: Shakers, Mormons, and Religious Worlds: Conflicting Visions, Contested Boundaries (Religion in North America) (9780253355409): Stephen C. Taysom: Books