Just starting out

TMac66

Hello,

Just joined the site and am just starting to prepare. I am going to start building a food supply and have found numerous sites to order from but was wondering which sites are good to do business with and which sites to avoid? Any advice will be appreciated.

Also, I am going to spend $1000.00 initially and about 300.00 a month until I get stocked up. I'd appreciate any advice on what to buy first and then what to buy on a monthly basis to get prepared.

Thanks,

TMac66

Let me add you don't need to spend lots of money to create food storage. simply buying sale items to the max of your normal budget will increase your storage as you go.

Also don't make the mistake of buying large lots of items that will all expire at the same time! The slow and steady pace is far better to allow you to not waste food.

MRE's bulk wheat and stuff is all well and good for disasters but not so much for job loss etc. While some disaster stuff is needed focus at first on the normal stuff you eat.

Pay attention to storage of your items. Have a mixed of freezer items, pre canned items. Canning your own etc. As well as how you are going to manage your storage and rotation to make sure you keep up with it.

I know I already said it but slow and steady is the best way, you don't want to burn yourself out trying to create an instant storage nor the effort to actually store in all at once. Instead of a thousand and then several hundred put that money in the bank (financial storage) and put say 200 a month toward increasing your storage.

Hi, I've been working on my storage for about a year and here are a couple things I've learned....

I purchased a '6 month supply for 2' of Mountain House freeze dried #10 cans online. But first, I tried a couple of the entrees to see if we would like them. You can get the pouches at Wal-Mart in the hiking section. They were fine! I wouldn't choose them over 'regular' food, but there were no fits thrown over them. The #10 cans last from 20 - 25 years. Just add hot water.

Also, I thought about the possibility/probability of not having power, so I bought a small camping stove and some propane.

Then reality hit. I had bought a 6 month supply of freeze dried foods...but when I entered it into my food calculator, it didn't last anywhere near 6 months. Really, it was enough for about a cup of food twice a day.

So, I started buying some bulk food to suppliment. When Jasmine rice was 60% off, I bought 50 pounds. I got large (food quality) storage containers from the bakery at the supermarket for free (just ask) and bought mylar bags and oxygen eaters to put in the bags (eBay). Stored rice and sugar and more rice and beans and more beans. Sugar, too, and was feeling all proud of myself when reality hit (again).

Wheat. What really stretches things and will store really well is wheat. That's my next move. A grain mill and wheat and gaining some knowledge about using wheat. I bought this book:

Amazon.com: HOW to LIVE on WHEAT (9781884979125): John W Hill: Books

I'm planning a trip to a Bishop's Storehouse near here eventually. You might want to see if there is one near you.

Meanwhile, I've been buying 'regular' food when there is a 'buy one get one free' sale. I have a closet and under a bed dedicated to storage.

I'm also stocking up on meds and first aid stuff, making sure all shots are up to date (tetnus, etc), thinking about one day getting one of those heart attack machines like they have on planes.

This is invaluable:

http://www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf

Wish I'd found it earlier!

There is a lot to think about. We're keeping a supply of cash in case banks close. Sanitary items are important. Water!! Good for you for starting to prepare. :)

Judy

(Not a Mormon but am in awe of your preparedness.)

Sounds like there is much we can learn from you as well.

Pam thank you - I wish!! There is so much to consider and I am trying not to disrupt our 'normal' lives in the process. Or get analysis paralysis, crawl under the bed (rats, can't, food is stored there) and give up!

I have broken it down into smaller pieces. Food storage, medical/dental, investing, where to live, security (turned over to husband!), general storage, fuel, pets and general planning.

Food storage is coming along nicely. If I get the wheat and mill and just keep on top of things and continue to add when there are sales, I'll feel OK. I'll feel GOOD with a garden and chickens - but that is for the future.

Medical/dental is a bit interesting because those of us that MUST have meds have a hard time stockpiling them. I am very fortunate as my husband travels to India and he can get my medication there. No proscription needed and made by the same company as here! Was also able to get some antibiotics, etc. I also created a book about medicines to store along with interactions between them. We are very close friends with a 93 year old neighbor (who acts like a teenager) so I include him in our planning. I also have created a 'medical book' with all my medical history and blood work.

Investing - I stew over that daily. I do have analysis paralysis on this one. I have a lot of ideas and maybe (if appropriate) will start a thread on investing ideas.

Where to live is interesting. We have a small cabin off the grid in the woods in the Rockies. People thought that was a perfect place if things got really bad. But then I read about Argentina from someone who lived through it and something that had been niggling at me was brought up - living in isolation means that you are a sitting duck! He said the best place to live was a small town with like-minded neighbors. We don't have that situation, but I'm keeping an eye open.

Fuel - not a clue.

I'm doing 'thought experiments' on how things might be....and I'm also planning a 'drill' - 3 days with no use of electricity, living just like we would if no services were available...won't my husband be surprised!

Sorry to ramble on - it's just so nice to discuss all this with like-minded people.

Judy

(who really does more than just prepare for disasters!)

You aren't rambling. You've given me ideas to ponder on.

Most of us don't have the luxury of moving to a smaller town. I live in a big city, so learning to prepare myself to just hunker down where I am is something I have to consider.

I have been buying more canned goods as I see them on sale. The grocery store I shop at most frequently always has sales on canned vegetables etc. So I pick up a few extra each time I go.

I've put a metal shelving unit in a walk in closet in my bedroom (I have 2 closets) so using the walk in for storage. At first I was purchasing many items that were on sale but realized I wasn't using them fast enough for the expiration dates. So I'm having to be more mindful of that.

One thing I do as well, as I finish up a liquid bottle of laundry detergent I fill it up with water. I have to make sure I mark it of course so the rest of my family doesn't think it's just more laundry detergent. That way I have some water that I could use in case water has to be shut off. I can still then use the toilet with the water from those jugs.

Edited by pam

One thing I've been doing, is printing out free copies of books like these:

Where there is no Doctor

Where there is no Dentist

the U.S. Air Force Survival Training manual

The misleadingly-named LDS Preparadness Manual The folks who put it together are LDS, but they're sort of fringe nutty LDS who believe in an impending callout where we'll all going to go have to march to the Rocky Mountains and live in tents for a year. Most of us don't believe that. But it's still a very good manual.

If a short or medium term disaster happens, one overlooked thing, is the need to keep busy and avoid boredom. Lots of helpful reading material would be great.

a couple things i can think of off the top of my head.

-- if you can, garden or go to places you can do you pick, and can what you grow or pick.

--get those big plastic rain barrel type things for water storage. i got 2 for like 70.00 or so?? i forget. or old juice containers.

--multi gallon plastic containers from "industrial" type places. call around and see if there is a place that sells their old containers. my friends and i found a place that sold their jam containers for 5.00 a piece. really nice for rice, wheat, flour, oat type storage. as well, as things like homemade laundry detergent, and pet food.

one site that i'm using for food storage is shelf reliance. what i like about them is that they make it super easy to do your food storage. you type in how many in your family, and how much food you need for a specific amount of time, and they work it all out and then tell you what you need. you also decide how much to spend each month and they send it to you and bill you. it's actually very cool!! i just got my shipment today.

the "red" book, or "black" book is another good idea. keep all important documents in one central location.

OH and of course, do not forget your 72 hrs kits. believe me, even if there is not an national emergency you never know when you'll need to bust out these kits! and when you do, you'll be so grateful that you actually spent the time to put them together. you'll have money, food and clothes for your whole family and won't have to worry about what's going to happen in the next 24 hrs or more! so, spend some time and money on that as well as the longer term food storage!

forgot about things like toiletries, medicine, first aid, detergent type stuff ( laundry/ soap). things for babies, if you have them. diapers, wipes, food, bottles. TP, paper towels, sponges.

our ward has done several "what would you do" scenarios and the picture is just never pretty. one of my faves to think about is if an EMP went off and there was nothing "electrical" working. that would seriously impact the way we live. not only living our normal lives and doing things like getting money out of that bank, but even being able to drive a care, buy gas, or go grocery shopping. now, not the most likely of scenarios of course!!!! BUT one that makes you THINK, A LOT, about being REALLY ready!!

Edited by roundandround