Why families if they aren't forever?

Guest tbaird22

Guest tbaird22

I know ive been posting frequently but this site is awesome and i cant help it. So here is the one thing ive never understood except from the LDS perspective (remember i was highly inactive for about 2 years) because of their view of eternal family.

Why would God give man the biological instincts to have a family and take care of the family if he was just going to split us apart after death?

Furthermore, why would he tell us in genesis 2:24 that man shall cleave unto his wife and be one flesh if it was only to split them apart when they die?

I know ive been posting frequently but this site is awesome and i cant help it. So here is the one thing ive never understood except from the LDS perspective (remember i was highly inactive for about 2 years) because of their view of eternal family.

Why would God give man the biological instincts to have a family and take care of the family if he was just going to split us apart after death?

Furthermore, why would he tell us in genesis 2:24 that man shall cleave unto his wife and be one flesh if it was only to split them apart when they die?

So you want us to explain why Heavenly Father would do something, but without using an LDS perspective to do it? Well, let's give it a try.

Heavenly Father created man and woman. He realized that we were very deistinct and had very different ideas on how to do everything, so He needed a way for us to come together. Well, Heavenly Father being all knowing realized that many people think babies are cute, and will go out of their way to take care of babies. Therefore, He concluded that having babies would give man and woman a common purpose, thereby helping them stand living with one another.

Why would he give us biological urges to sleep if we aren't going to sleep after death? Actually I have no clue if we'll sleep in the next life but hopefully though flawed it can take you down a line of reasoning. Just because something is of this life doesn't mean it will be of the next, we have circuitry designed to feel pain and biological processes for repairing that pain that are needed for this earthly existence but won't necessarily have need of in the next life.

Of course those instincts can still be around, just broadened, instead of serving just your immediate family you spend your time serving God and all your brothers and sisters without preferential treatment amongst your siblings.

Why would he tell us to sacrifice animals for a time and then tells us to stop? There is a time and season for things.

For the record I'm LDS, but once but while it's hard to wrap your heart around for LDS considering some of our beliefs wrapping your head around it is much easier. For the record, the equal love angle is something I had a pastor on my mission explain, so it's not complete conjuncture like the rest.

Guest tbaird22

haha no not why gave us a common purpose so much as why he would want us to have families and why he would want man and woman to "be one" if were just going to split up when we die?

haha no not why gave us a common purpose so much as why he would want us to have families and why he would want man and woman to "be one" if were just going to split up when we die?

Well in a practical sense without being one a man and woman can't have children which puts a dint in plans to go forth and multiply. I'm not sure how it being temporary in nature precludes the emotional aspect of being one in purpose either. Generally Christians consider the family the best environment for raising healthy well adjusted children who ideally develop a love of God.

That's kinda like asking a LDS why God would inspire the U. S. constitution only to ultimately replace it with a theocracy. That something isn't permanent doesn't mean it fails at having a useful function.

Edit: BTW, I've edited the title to make it more descriptive.

Edited by Dravin

The problem for other Christians lies in the belief that we are not made from the same substance as God. For others, God allows families as a workable way to raise children in this life. However, since heaven is entirely different, then families are not a function that is required. For many Christians, they believe we will be so wrapped up in gazing at and adoring the glory of God, we won't have time to notice anyone else around us, so family really doesn't mean anything.

However, LDS theology is that this life is part of a continuum. We were not created ex nihilo (from nothing). Instead, we lived with God in a loving family structure before this life, and we will do so in the next, as well. While we will spend time gazing at and adoring God, we will also spend time doing the work of God: bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of all beings.

We understand that we are family, offspring of God, brothers and sisters to angels, spirits, and gods (with a little 'g'). This theological understanding puts us in a realm very different than that of other Christians. They cannot imagine doctrinally the things we often take for granted, because it does not fit into their creeds of Trinity, creatio ex nihilo, and that man can never be as God is. Even those that believe in theosis (becoming God-like) do not believe we actually become like God. Because they believe we are made of other impure substance, we can never truly be exactly as God is. And so their parameters set them on a different path on trying to understand what heaven is all about.

While we do not believe we will live in families in the manner we do on earth, most Christians believe we will see and recognize our loved ones in heaven. It may even be that we will continue to feel a special bond with them. However, heaven will be different. We will be glorified. However the Kingdom replaces our current manner of living will be superior, more fulfilling. While we surely will revel in God's presence, we shall also be living purposefully. We will judge angels. We will rule and reign with Christ. Where some of our answers to LDS inquiries fall flat is in the asking of how heaven will work out, minus our current arrangements. We do not know, and our answers will end up sounding liking we are coping with what we are missing. Surely there will be no disappointments, regrets, sorrows, nor feelings of being deprived in God's kingdom. So, in reality, we do not worry about it. We are satisfied that God will do us right, and we will know and love our loved ones in heaven.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Hi! :-)

Honestly when it comes to this belief I am confused because it doesn't seem to go along with what Jesus states in Matthew (22:23-33), Mark and Luke.

"In the resurrection therefore, when they shall rise, whose wife shall she be of them? for the seven had her to wife. And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven." Mark 12:23-25

"Therefore in the resurrection whose wife of them is she? for seven had her to wife. And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection Luke 20:33-36

I apologize if this isn't an answer to the question. I just honestly don't see how eternal families are biblical.

I'm sorry for going off topic.

Take care! <3

Edited by SeekerofTruth
While we do not believe we will live in families in the manner we do on earth, most Christians believe we will see and recognize our loved ones in heaven..."

Pastor

If I may suggest, the terms traditional Christian or historic Christian or even Creedal Christian are used elsewhere to differentiate between LDS and other Christians. Using the unmodified term of Christians to separate other Christians from LDS is often seen as offensive. By the way, I have enjoyed reading your comments here and on other forums too. You share excellent insights. You have a done a lot to heal wounds and bring people together.:)

Edited by jlf9999
clarity and to be complete

• 2 months later...

Approach it like this: Whatever agreements (be them marriage or whatever) we make here on earth are temporary without priesthood power. Therefore, our Father in Heaven provided us with a way (temple marriage) that we might live together with our family so long as we meet the requirements (keep the commandments and honor the terms of our covenants). As humans it is in our nature to be attracted to a mate so that we can find someone to be happy with and have a family. But the blame falls on us if we do not live worthily of temple marriage or do what is necessary to enter in to such a covenant.