non-biblical accounts of the plagues/exodus?

MrShorty

I read through the plagues/exodus the other night, and it occurred to me that the events recounted would represent a very significant event in Egyptian history. So I got to wondering if there have been any accounts (probably from the Egyptian perspective) of the events in Exodus.

I read through the plagues/exodus the other night, and it occurred to me that the events recounted would represent a very significant event in Egyptian history. So I got to wondering if there have been any accounts (probably from the Egyptian perspective) of the events in Exodus.

As far as I am aware, there has not been any found (yet). There has been references found in ancient egyptian writing that does refer to the Israelites however.

I'd also point out that many times the histories and things written are dictated by the rulers... which if the Biblical account is 100% accurate would have been rather humiliating to the king at that time- How much do you think he's going to have written down about how the people fell to plagues, the slaves got away, and the army he sent destroyed without recapturing one of them?

Edited by Blackmarch

Actually, the History Channel show Decoded just did a thing on this. There is actual physical evidence of the exodus. They showed Egyptian carving that depicted the drowning of Pharaoh's army, jewelry designed by the original forgers of the Arc or the Covenant, and even evidence of the real mount Sinai. I didn't get to see the entire show, kids and all, but they did 3D representations of artwork that revealed startling imagery. I am going to do a search on History Channels website and am sure they have the show archived. I had read a few articles about some of the information that was being uncovered in Egyptian archives about the Exodus, but I don't have them in front of me...I'll see if I can dig them up again.

I'm with BlackMarch on this one, I don't think the pharaoh would have wanted those embarrassing events recorded. The jews were clearly slaves, and at some point ceased to be. There's no egyptian record anywhere of when or how, so it was probably the embarrassing and humbling account that we have available which is true.

The Exodus Decoded DVD, History , History Channel Store

This is the link to the History Channel documentary. The other papers I will have to track down later on. I have them in a folder somewhere. There is a lot of back and forth about the interpretation of historical documents that have been found and the timeline of events. The timing alone throws a big curve ball at both sides. For the stated positions above, that the Pharaohs wouldn't exactly be publicizing this event, many of the historical accounts reference the Exodus in terms of "other" events. There are several historical items that point toward a mass exodus, but we don't have satellite photos so by today's standards we consider the evidence weak.

I think there is plenty of evidence that there was an exodus, but there are already people denying that the holocaust didn't happen and that wasn't so long ago. Wonder how history will look at events happening in our lifetime a few thousand years from now?

Egyptian records of the Exodus, zilch. Egyptian records of fighting in Israel at about that time, some.

Wandering in the desert? Solid evidence of a few sheep camps wandering around at that time, but a 40 year campout of thousands? Nothing.

Sorry but I have to disagree. There is a large amount of evidence that not only was there a huge influx of people into the land of Canaan and to peoples of those areas. This was not done all at once and is noted as such in the Bible. God said that he was not going to just push all the people out of the land and leave it deserted, but would make this a gradual process as to allow for the systematic take over of the promised land.

There are archeological evidences that have come to light due to new technologies in the last decade or so, many of which had been discovered much earlier, but could not be properly analyzed. Much of this is shown in the documentaries listed. Cheers.

What, you never saw The Mummy?