Question about prayers...

Guest tbaird22

Guest tbaird22

In the church, when someone is investigating the church they are often asked to pray about the book of mormon, joseph smith, etc. They often receive answers or spiritual experiences. My question is for those outside the church, but i welcome comments from members as well.

If someone prays to know if the book of mormon is true or if the church is true and they receive said answer either God is answering their prayers or he allows satan to and doesnt answer prayers at all. How can you explain this without saying God doesnt answer prayers? Im sorry if this isnt a well formed question or thought ha it kind of just came to me :huh:

I would first of all give you this advice - try to not worry so much about what answers other people might get, but just try to concern yourself more with what answers you are getting, or will be getting, to your own personal prayers - and how ready you are to receive and act upon those answers. Remember that faith and humility are key ingredients to recognizing if an answer is truly from God.

Do you believe God is the author of all that is good? If so, then all good things come from Him- so if there is an answer of peace to your soul after a heartfelt and humble prayer, will be from Him.

Remember all you have learned, and all that you know about our Heavenly Father. That is what He is- our Father, perfect Father, in Heaven. He loves us; He does not deceive us. But the adversary will try to confuse us and lead us astray, many times by appealing to our pride. So do not seek your own will- only seek the will of the great Creator. If you are sincere, humble, and full of faith, you will know the truth.

I hope you continue to study the scriptures prayerfully, to try the experiment of faith (put faith into action!) and do not give up in your search. Remember that study and prayer are important, but are only the beginning. You have to be ready and willing to act on what you learn, on what you feel God wants you to do. And then do it.

We often receive no witness until after the trial of our faith. Interpretation: ...until after we show we are willing to obey the principles of truth that we learned.

It took me 6 years until I finally got the answer to my first prayer-which was about if the church was true.

I'm still not baptized yet, but I surely will be.

I'm really thankful that Heavenly Father answers my prayers in His own way, it gives me the time to learn and grow and understand His ways.

I did not really know how to pray and what to pray for. But He knows how to answer.

Leave it to God, let Him lead the way, we will have wonderful experiences.

We can't really explain to others why they don't get answers. It between God and them.

I remember as a non-believer, I thought the Mormons are ignorant, because they kept trying to explain everything according to what they believe. But I did not have the same belief.

Now I've got my own testimony about the truthfulness of the church and I can testify that both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were God's prophets. But I can not believe a word until I got my own answers and testimony.

We really can't answer or explain others why they don't get answers to their prayers.

The only thing we can do is to help them build a little faith in Christ, and pray that they will go on building their faith in Christ and have a wonderful experience with the Savior.

I believe that all the true seekers of the truth of God, will have a wonderful journey to the truth with the Savior being their guide.

Ever Seeking After... Jesus Smiling Face: My journey to the light This is my journey to the light, but it's just mine, I'm not sure if it's helpful.

We all have to find our own faith in Christ, and go on our way.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Try again?

Yeah, I'm confused too. There are a couple of ways to parse his question, though to my mind the one requiring the least supposition is: How do we know someone praying about the Book of Mormon is receiving an answer from God and not Satan? And if that latter how can we say God answers prayer?

In the church, when someone is investigating the church they are often asked to pray about the book of mormon, joseph smith, etc. They often receive answers or spiritual experiences. My question is for those outside the church, but i welcome comments from members as well.

If someone prays to know if the book of mormon is true or if the church is true and they receive said answer either God is answering their prayers or he allows satan to and doesnt answer prayers at all. How can you explain this without saying God doesnt answer prayers? Im sorry if this isnt a well formed question or thought ha it kind of just came to me :huh:

are you asking if theres any way for satan to answer prayers, or someone said that they recieved an answer that God doesn't answer prayers?

Guest tbaird22

Im asking how other churches justify something i commonly hear

Them: "how do you know your church is true"

me: "because i prayed to God to know if it was and recieved an answer"

Them: "That must of been satan because its not true"

Paraphrasing of course. But i hope that clears things up. Either God does answer prayers or doesnt, but it seems like they say satan answer our (mormons) prayers and God answers theirs.. which i dont get..

LDS don't avoid the issue. People pray about the Book of Mormon and report receiving a no answer, the only way we have to rebutting that (as opposed to a null answer which we can say requires more prayer/the person isn't ready yet) is to cast doubt (even if just to ourselves) on the source of the answer whether it be from themselves or Satan (or accuse them of lying).

If I prayed and convinced myself that I received a yes to engaging in premarital sex because we're in love and when I prayed about it I got what I consider to be a confirmation how would you respond? Either way you respond (if you disagree), that it was simply me answering my own prayer or Satan having a hand in it (to what ever degree you want to credit him) you're stuck answering the same question. If prayers can be answered other than by God (or be perceived to have been answered) how do you maintain faith in prayer?

Edited by Dravin

I see this as a simple question with a simple answer.

Line upon line, precept upon precept.

I grew up Catholic. No, I didn't stay Catholic for 30 years because that's all I know. I stayed Catholic for 30 years because... That's what the Holy Ghost testified to me when I went to Him in prayer. I have a strong testimony of the truths I learned as a Catholic.

I'm LDS now. So, it would seem that people will say - oh, so the Holy Ghost that answered your Catholic prayers was Satan or just your own imagination, or you were on drugs or something?

No. The same Holy Ghost that testified to me about the truths of the gospel in my Catholic journey is the exact same Holy Ghost that testified to me about the truthfulness of the restored gospel.

So, you might ask - how can that be? There's only one true Church, right? Sure. But, who are we to tell the Holy Ghost what is the best way for us to progress? If a person's progression is best served as a Baptist than an LDS, then if he prays about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, he might not get an answer... because he may not be ready for it! Line upon line... precept upon precept!

None of us here is god over the Holy Ghost. None of us here should limit what He can do for people. If a person sincerely prays for an answer and the Holy Ghost answers him, then that's the best way for him to come to God - even if the answer lies outside of the LDS church.

Article of Faith 13:

... If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

The LDS church may have the complete truth. But that doesn't mean that none of the other churches have truths as well.

I grew up Catholic. No, I didn't stay Catholic for 30 years because that's all I know. I stayed Catholic for 30 years because... That's what the Holy Ghost testified to me when I went to Him in prayer. I have a strong testimony of the truths I learned as a Catholic.

I'm LDS now. So, it would seem that people will say - oh, so the Holy Ghost that answered your Catholic prayers was Satan or just your own imagination, or you were on drugs or something?

No. The same Holy Ghost that testified to me about the truths of the gospel in my Catholic journey is the exact same Holy Ghost that testified to me about the truthfulness of the restored gospel.

So, you might ask - how can that be? There's only one true Church, right? Sure. But, who are we to tell the Holy Ghost what is the best way for us to progress? If a person's progression is best served as a Baptist than an LDS, then if he prays about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, he might not get an answer... because he may not be ready for it! Line upon line... precept upon precept!

The thing is Anatess is that a "No" to the question, "Is the Book of Mormon scripture?" is different then the answer of "No" to the question, "Should I become LDS now?" or an answer of "..." to the Book of Mormon question. Personally I have not problem with the idea that someone seeking truth might ask, "Is there truth in the Catholic Church, should I join it in seeking thee?" and receive a resounding yes, but that is different then a definitive "No" to a question like the Book of Mormon being true, or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being Christ's church.

Because if the following actually and truly happened (as opposed to being what someone truly and honestly believes happened):

Person Praying: Is the Book of Mormon scripture? Was Joseph Smith a prophet?

God: No and No.

Means we've got some theology to revise.

Edited by Dravin

Just thought I'd offer up my experience here as both a non-Christian and non-LDS. I prayed about the Catholic church (raised Catholic, attended Catholic school) and was given a resounding "no, this is not where you belong." The same thing happened when I prayed about the BoM and the LDS church. I got a resounding "No, it's not where you belong; it's not truth." I've been told a few times that this was either a) I wasn't ready to hear the truth (or that I was deluding myself) and b) Satan is just telling this to you. It's difficult I think to understand why someone could pray about the same thing as you and get a completely different answer, especially when it's something you hold very true and dear to your heart.

Just thought I'd offer up my experience here as both a non-Christian and non-LDS. I prayed about the Catholic church (raised Catholic, attended Catholic school) and was given a resounding "no, this is not where you belong." The same thing happened when I prayed about the BoM and the LDS church. I got a resounding "No, it's not where you belong; it's not truth." I've been told a few times that this was either a) I wasn't ready to hear the truth (or that I was deluding myself) and b) Satan is just telling this to you. It's difficult I think to understand why someone could pray about the same thing as you and get a completely different answer, especially when it's something you hold very true and dear to your heart.

:o

I'm sorry to ask, I don't want to offend you, but I really wonder, did you ever pray about God, if He exists and answers prayers, and got a resounding "no" and "no"?

I did not believe that there was a God, but my prayer was answered with a yes, there is a God, and He answers my every prayer.

Do people really believe Satan has power to answer prayers? Seriously?

Edited by Faith_Grace

Paraphrasing of course. But i hope that clears things up. Either God does answer prayers or doesnt, but it seems like they say satan answer our (mormons) prayers and God answers theirs.. which i dont get..

Satan answers prayers that were offered to God in Christ's name...that is crap. Now, I really think so.

I believe in the answer I got, and I know it's from God.

I know the church is true, and I wanted to be baptized, but for some reasons, I'm still not baptized yet.

I prayed about it, and I got the answer that I should wait and be patient, it's not time to be baptized yet.

And after some time, I started to doubt about it. I asked myself, could it really be God's answer? How could God tell me not to be baptized even if I really want to!

Then I decided to tell the missionaries that I want to be baptized, and well, now, I'm still not a baptized. It was a hard time.

There were a lot of struggle. I even got a priesthood blessing, and guess what, I was bless with patience to wait for my baptism!:rolleyes:

I think I can trust the answers I got for my prayers. Of course it depends how spiritual I am, sometimes I just fail to hear the answer because I am totally out of spirit...

:o

I'm sorry to ask, I don't want to offend you, but I really wonder, did you ever pray about God, if He exists and answers prayers, and got a resounding "no" and "no"?

I did not believe that there was a God, but my prayer was answered with a yes, there is a God, and He answers my every prayer.

Do people really believe Satan has power to answer prayers? Seriously?

You don't offend, don't worry. ^_^ I know it may seem strange but the response I got was that the god of the Christians (and specifically that the BoM is not true) is not my god. I am meant to walk a different path, does that make sense? So while your religion is not true or right for me, I can respect that it is true and right for you. That horribly post-modernist, doesn't it? I hope that helps clarify, but I don't want to drag the thread off topic or anything. :)

I see this as a simple question with a simple answer.

Line upon line, precept upon precept.

None of us here is god over the Holy Ghost. None of us here should limit what He can do for people. If a person sincerely prays for an answer and the Holy Ghost answers him, then that's the best way for him to come to God - even if the answer lies outside of the LDS church.

Article of Faith 13:

... If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

The LDS church may have the complete truth. But that doesn't mean that none of the other churches have truths as well.

As a missionary years ago, there was a member who had previously been a Jehovah's Witness. He told me of a conversation he had with the Stake Pres. shortly after he joined where he expressed regret for 'wasting his time' with the JW's. The Stake Pres. informed him he had not wasted his time, but was a necessary part of his spiritual progression. Many churches stress certain doctrines, and the JW church had what he needed at the time to further his spiritual progression to the point where he was ready to move on.

Everything is line-by-line, precept upon precept. Other churches can help fill in certain holes to get us ready for greater light and knowledge. The trick is not to stop, but keep pressing forward.

It doesn't have to be 'Satan'. Most of the time it is relying on one's own understanding that people think is the right answer. It is like the pharisees who were so tied into their traditions and prideful thoughts about what is right that they didn't even recognize the Savior talking directly to them. They said, this man is not learned, how could he be teaching us, the sons of Abraham, what is right? So, they gave their own understanding more attention than listening to the spirit so they didn't recognize truth.

This is why, I've heard some people say it is good for people to attend some sort of church before they get a chance to receive the gospel. That may not always be true. Sometimes people get emotionally attached to religions for various reasons, tradition or family etc, then they harden their hearts to truth when it comes around. This is probably why Joseph Smith was told to join none of them when he was looking.

The promptings of Satan are darkness and confusion. Satan has dominion over the earth and everything in it which includes our bodies. We are instructed to not be carnally minded but spiritually minded, then Satan will not have power over us. If one listens to their carnal mind mostly it may seem like an answer or seem like a prompting when they can't hear or feel the spiritual influences any longer.

The thing is Anatess is that a "No" to the question, "Is the Book of Mormon scripture?" is different then the answer of "No" to the question, "Should I become LDS now?" or an answer of "..." to the Book of Mormon question. Personally I have not problem with the idea that someone seeking truth might ask, "Is there truth in the Catholic Church, should I join it in seeking thee?" and receive a resounding yes, but that is different then a definitive "No" to a question like the Book of Mormon being true, or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being Christ's church.

Because if the following actually and truly happened (as opposed to being what someone truly and honestly believes happened):

Person Praying: Is the Book of Mormon scripture? Was Joseph Smith a prophet?

God: No and No.

Means we've got some theology to revise.

Unless one was Joseph Smith, God doesn't necessarily come down to face you and say No and No.

The usual answers to prayer goes through our own understanding. We interpret what the Holy Ghost is trying to tell us.

Therefore, it will be just like in Mark 12, when a man asked Jesus if his understanding is correct... his understanding may not be complete, but instead of Jesus explaining to him some more, Jesus tells him instead, "Thou art not far from the kingdom of God" and left it at that.

One may feel that what the Holy Ghost was telling them was tantamount to a No answer as they felt peace in their understanding. The Holy Ghost doesn't contradict the peace, He lets it go at that... because, just like Jesus said, "Thou art not far from the kingdom of God" in that journey.

You will need to understand this... because, what YOU think is the correct answer may just be YOUR understanding of the correct answer that the Holy Ghost leaves as "Thou art not far from the kingdom of God". Once you say, I know it all, your cup is full... and closed to more understanding.

It is the basic definition of Personal Revelation after all.