Sitting in the Temple?

Jason_J

So I was thinking about my experience doing baptisms for the dead a couple weeks ago, and I think I might call the temple to see when there's a group going that I may join (since my ward is doing Endowments for May, then baptisms in June).

Anyway, so after I was finished, I put back on my clothes, and sat and watched the others. Now, I felt a little awkward wearing my shoes in the temple, when we were just wearing white socks and the temple workers wear slippers (right?). Of course it seems that that's okay, since others also sat with me after they were done. So it's okay to be wearing your "normal" clothes while you're just sitting in the temple after you finish the ordinance work (I don't know how to really say what I'm trying to say, but I assume you get it, haha)?

Also, the foyer area behind the recommend desk of the temple has chairs, so I assume they aren't there just for decoration and we can sit there and pray/read the scriptures they have? I also noticed some people online have mentioned a chapel area of the temple. Do all temples have this?

Thanks!

Yes you may sit and ponder at any of the locations they offer chairs.

Yes it's ok to wear your normal clothes before/after temple work. If you just go to view a wedding/sealing you do not change into your temple clothes, you sit in the sealing room in your normal church clothes.

The smaller temples do not have chapels.

The chapels in temples are not like meetinghouse chapels. They are more like waiting areas before going into ordinance rooms when doing endowments, although they may be used for instruction.

The older temples have full assembly rooms. They are unique in design with pulpits at both ends (one for the Melchizedek priesthood, and the other for the Aaronic) and the benches in the Kirtland temple actually have backs that flip so they can face either way. You can read more about them here:

Modern Day Temples | Ask Gramps

I am also glad the grounds of the temple are so nice, because you can enjoy nature and peace and appreciate the exterior of the temple.

Edited by bytebear

Guest saintish

I'm not sure if they would allow an unendowed member to sit in the chairs behind the recommend desk as those are usually for people waiting to go to an endowment session (in smaller temples without chapels) But you can wear your "sunday best" in most places in the temple, even guests at a sealing are not required to wear white or temple robes if they are just witnessing the sealing (i.e. not going through an endowment beforhand) you shouldnt feel uncomfortable at all in the baptistry, in you sunday best.

I'm not sure if they would allow an unendowed member to sit in the chairs behind the recommend desk as those are usually for people waiting to go to an endowment session.

Aren't teenagers going to do baptisms allowed to sit in that area while waiting?

Sometimes I'd like to skip the ordinance work altogether, and just go to the temple to sit in the Celestial Room for contemplation, prayer, and communion. Haven't actually tried it, but somehow I don't think the temple workers would approve! :lol:

Sometimes I'd like to skip the ordinance work altogether, and just go to the temple to sit in the Celestial Room for contemplation, prayer, and communion. Haven't actually tried it, but somehow I don't think the temple workers would approve! :lol:

At the risk of sounding combatant, Wouldn't that be akin to expecting to be full without eating dinner? :hmmm:

Guest saintish

Aren't teenagers going to do baptisms allowed to sit in that area while waiting?

All the times i have gone to the temple, either to do baptisms or just going on my own to do endowments, the youth wait in the entrance/ nonmember waiting area (whatever you like to call it) until its time for their session, then they are escourted past the recommend desk, by a temple worker, and they go straight into the baptistry.

I have heard mixed stories about this. I'd imagine if you dressed in white clothes you'd probably be ok. It never hurts to ask the temple workers if it would be ok. the only objection i could imagine would be that it is kind of selfish to go to the temple and not do any work.

...Sometimes I'd like to skip the ordinance work altogether, and just go to the temple to sit in the Celestial Room for contemplation, prayer, and communion. Haven't actually tried it, but somehow I don't think the temple workers would approve! :lol:

That was talked about in this thread, see post #15 by applepansy.

http://www.lds.net/forums/advice-board/38905-just-got-endowment-feeling-weird-about-2.html

M.

Edited by Maureen

At the risk of sounding combatant, Wouldn't that be akin to expecting to be full without eating dinner? :hmmm:

No, it wouldn't be. Going through a temple ordinance session is not the only means of spiritual nourishment. Prayer, scripture study, service, meditation, and contemplation are other ways. Also, paradoxical as it may sound, fasting is another means of spiritually feasting! ;)