Question that has been on our minds

LDSJewess

For me, this is exactly where the confusion sets in. Where are the references from the GA's that say we don't have to wear them during sports or for yard work? And why would there need to be any yes's and no's from GA's if this is supposed to be strictly between God and myself? And why are some sports o.k. and others not? Again, where is the line drawn on this? Dancing is o.k. but if I'm working up a sweat in the yard all day then that's not?:confused: Don't understand that. Just simply trying to get some clarification on this because the lines on this seem to be at the very least blurry.

I think there are some very valid questions here.

As I mentioned before, Bishops read to those receiving a temple recommend a statement regarding the garment and its use. This clears up much of the discussion being stated here.

At wikipedia, it directly answers such questions:

LDS Church teachings on use

The LDS Church instructs its members who have been endowed to wear temple garments during the day and during the night.[20] Members are told that they should not partially or completely remove the garment to participate in activities that can "reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing".[20] When necessary, the garment may be temporarily removed, but members are told that after the activity "they should put it back on as soon as possible."[20] Swimming is given as an example of an activity that would justify removal of the garment.[20]

Garment wearers are also instructed that they should not adjust the garment or wear it in a way that would accommodate the wearing of what the church considers to be immodest clothing[20] (which includes uncovering areas of the body that would normally be covered by the garment, such as the shoulders and lower thighs). Members are instructed to keep garments clean and mended and to refrain from displaying it or exposing it to the view of others who may not understand its significance.[20] Prior to the disposal of old garments, members are instructed to cut out the markings on them.[1][21] After the marks are removed, "the fabric is not considered sacred" and the garment fabric may be cut up and discarded or used for other purposes.[1][21]

source: LDS Church (2006), Church Handbook of Instructions: Book 1, Stake Presidencies and Bishoprics, Salt Lake City, Utah: LDS Church.

Here is a link to a great article by Elder Carlos E. Asay on the garment:

Mormon Temple Garment

Here's a quote from it:

There are some who would welcome a detailed dress code answering every conceivable question about the wearing of the temple garment. They would have priesthood leaders legislate lengths, specify conditions of when and how it should and should not be worn, and impose penalties upon those who missed the mark by a fraction of an inch. Such individuals would have Church members strain at a thread and omit the weightier matters of the gospel of Jesus Christ (see Matt. 23:23-26).

For me, this is exactly where the confusion sets in. Where are the references from the GA's that say we don't have to wear them during sports or have to wear them for yard work? And why would there need to be any yes's and no's from GA's if this is supposed to be strictly between God and myself? And why are some sports o.k. and others not? Again, where is the line drawn on this? Dancing is o.k. but if I'm working up a sweat in the yard all day then that's not?:confused: Don't understand that. Just simply trying to get some clarification on this because the lines on this seem to be at the very least blurry.

It is not meet that we be commanded in all things.

Can we seriously not figure out how to wear our underwear properly? It's simple enough, at least in principle: Take out the self-justification and efforts to avoid wearing the garment because it's "uncomfortable" or "unfashionable" or other such nonsense, and then wear the garment as is appropriate. We really don't need Daddy there telling us every possible situation in which we should or should not wear our underwear.

Hey Vort, that's a great idea. You must have read my quote from Elder Asay....

It's not the first time I've found that I posted some idea that someone had already said, maybe in the post immediately preceding mine. It's not even the only time that has happened today... I suppose I should be more careful in reading what others have written before I post. Or not.

It is not meet that we be commanded in all things.

Can we seriously not figure out how to wear our underwear properly? It's simple enough, at least in principle: Take out the self-justification and efforts to avoid wearing the garment because it's "uncomfortable" or "unfashionable" or other such nonsense, and then wear the garment as is appropriate. We really don't need Daddy there telling us every possible situation in which we should or should not wear our underwear.

But when is/isn't it appropriate? You're right, we don't need Daddy telling us when to wear them.....but yet we do........but then we shouldn't...........but then we still do........but why should we......but then we must.......but then......

At our entry into the Lord's kingdom through baptism, we are given the gift of the Holy Ghost. This will tell us all things we need to know. But we need to learn to use this gift. Self-justification always overpowers the "still small voice".

But as adults who have been through the temple, we ought (and need) to be able to hear the voice of the Holy Ghost in such matters. We ought not insist that our leaders, whom we view as The Chosen Ones but who in reality are just fellow travelers, do our listening for us.

If you made a covenant to wear your underwear, then wear it. If it's an activity where such use is inappropriate, don't wear it for that activity. But don't go looking for excuses to rationalize not wearing it.

We're grown-ups. We should be able to figure out when it's appropriate to wear our underwear.

For a Church founded on the concept of continuing revelation we sure seem to shy away from it. If outside of the guidelines established (such as can be seen in the CHI or heard as a statement when one gets a full use recommend) a situation is in doubt pray about it.

Edited by Dravin

For a Church founded on the concept of continuing revelation we sure seem to shy away from it. If outside of the guidelines established (such as can be seen in the CHI or heard as a statement when one gets a full use recommend) a situation is in doubt pray about it.

its true if your unsure pray about it and see if its the right thing to do.

i mean i dont see how it is so hard to figure out when to wear my underwear lol just dont bring it to an open shame. if your going to be a spot where it might stick out and get questioned horribly then perhaps dont wear it. and of course during swimming or workouts. but dont go hounding for excuses not to wear it.

and ill never understand where the notion that some people shower with it on came from or why they do that but whatever lol still i had no idea it was this complicated.