Something to Think About

Palerider

Elder Robert D Hales says...

"How can I question without losing the spirit?? All of us have questions at times in our lives on policies, procedures, or even principles. The best way to find the answers we seek is to search out the solutions for ourselves.

"How do we go about it"

"First and foremost its our attitude, or how we ask the question, that is very very important. If it is a demand, one loses the opportunity for an answer.

"Second, if we have strong feelings about the way something should be and are unwilling to listen, we may lose the opportunity to get an answer.

"Don't look for signs or answers that build you up. Humility and submissiveness to God will always be fundamental in receiving direction from him."

here is a link to the rest of the talk if interested...

Gifts of the Spirit - Ensign Feb. 2002

Guest tbaird22

Of course we blame someone else it couldnt be our fault ;)

on a more serious note, I agree with pansy. I question a lot (I blame being an INTP) but until i humble myself and become willing to accept the Lord's answer; i wont get any type of answer (which is super frustrating).

I think that we can tend to accept the whole "life is not perfect, trials will come" lessons with an agreeing nod but not really internalize the meaning.

Then trials come. We might not necessarily respond with "God hates me" but there's still "Blessings aren't necessarily contingent with my actions"; "The Bishop, being an imperfect man, gave me the wrong advice"; "I can't do anything about trials."

I actually learned this from my early days of Judaism, but it applies as well to my faith as a Latter Day Saint. There is a Hebrew prayer translated into English that is:

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to you O Lord........."

I was taught to question absolutely everything and that everything was open to discussion and the sincere quest for answers, but from a viewpoint of faith, those questions and words coming from our mouth, and thoughts in our hearts and minds should be of respect and reverence and acceptable to God Our Heavenly Father. I think only then do we receive the answers that we seek. They may not be the exact answers that we hope for at the exact time we wish for but we will receive answers and thus our knowledge and wisdom will be increased and our faith strenghtened.