Bishop

Dr T

Dror,

Well said. We have to remember that our Bishops are called to do their jobs. None are perfect to say the least, however saying that I think that most do well with their callings. The other ones, sometimes I think that they are "placed" in that position to fill a need of the ward. Unfortunatly, not always the right person for the job.

The Bishop is responsible for ALL the people within the boundaries of his ward, whether members or not. Some would disagree but that is how it is supposed to be. I was told that over and over when when I was investigating the Church.

For anyone, let alone a leader of the Church - any Church - to do this to people is so bad. Was/ Is he a doctor? Just wondering.

What is the saying, something like the CHurch is true and perfect, the members are not?

Marsha

Hi Marsha,

No, that bishop was not a doctor (he works for a mobile phone company). He did want to show the medical records to a doctor in his ward, though--a doctor whose specialty was completely different and entirely irrelevant to the illness in question. That's better than not consulting with a doctor at all, but it was kind of like going to a neurologist when you have pancreatic cancer! In any case, the bishop's stated purpose, and I heard him say it, was to see which medications they could drop. This sister needed all of her medications, according to her doctors, and had she released her medical records, she could have been in danger of losing Medicaid benefits, because it would look to them like she was "doctor shopping." When a person applies for benefits, they usually turn you down the first time. However, when the doctors working for the government saw her, they took one look, so to speak, and knew she was completely disabled and unable to work, and granted her benefits right away. Guess that wasn't good enough for the know-it-all bishop, though... *grimace*

I have often read posts here regarding Bishops since being a member of this site.....now I have a question.....Does anyone ever have a positive expierence with their Bishop????.......seems I read alot of negative comments about a Bishop on this board......... :hmmm:

i have had lots of positive experiences with bishops in my 7 years of re-activity. My bishop was at my endowment, and my bishop was at my wedding in Nuavoo temple...different bishop.

Hi Dror,

Thank you for your comments. I am sad to hear of what was going on there. I'm glad that the church made some changes.

Hi Marsha,

You asked if he was a dr. While I understand the importance of you question, I also thing that regardless of if he was or not, it would not be advisable to recommend changes to the attending physician’s medication without consultation first. The bishop likely would not be aware of all medical issues and to advise against what was being prescribed could be counterproductive and dangerous.

Dr. T

Hi Miztrniceguy,

What else did the "good experiences" consist of? Are any of these things different from the "average Joe" sitting next to you in service?

THanks

while i don't know the average joe's experience, i dare say some of my life situations were very different from most. My bishops have had a good sense of compassion, forgiveness and understanding. I learned a lot about myself from some of them.

Dror is this sister named Debbie?

Its sound like the same bishop.

this bishop sent the ward clerk to our home one evening to go over budgeting because a “corporal” could not make enough money to support his family. What was I chopped liver? The clerk was so embarrassed :blush: and he had no right to send him to go over our bills. He works for taxation Canada. That was the bishops reasoning im sure.

He called about some thing and left a phone message “said you can’t afford this cancel it at once!

(Call answer) by this point our skin was thin, so I picked up the phone and left him one.

Do you have teenagers? No you do not do you have a teenage daughter No!

And if the military pays for the service its not your his business.

Marsha

ALL the people within the boundaries of his ward, whether members or not. Some would disagree but that is how it is supposed to be.

Your right!

I have seen this done, one of the bishop back east dropped my younger children back off at the house after a service project.

He drove around our road being a cresent- one way and returned to my home. He came in and asked about the family down the street whose front living room window was missing.

We told him ever since the father lost his job he turned to the bottle and in a fight throw something large throw the window, from the inside. It was winter and if you know Canadian, winters you can see were his concern was coming from. He went down the black and introduced him self. The next day the window was replace the church help him find a job with only the invitation to come some Sunday.

Dr T

In all the years in the church, I can only say one bishop has failed to rise to his calling.

One bishop out of how many???

I think as Dror said,

“bishops are not always "for us,"

We had a wonderful bishop when our son was kidnapped and sexually assaulted over three days.

He cried with us asked members to fast not letting the members know who it was.

His kindness and compassion was like water that never turned off.

His blessings and in every action was as it should be.

Ill never forget the blessings I have received though wise bishops who understood their roll acting as our ward father here on earth.

As a single mother, my sons were never with out a priesthood member taking my sons to all those father son activities. Preasthood session at conference time or just a icecreem. I had bishop arrive on my doorstep not knowing the reason why but once in the door my children were hassled off to DQ wile, I had tome for my self. It was also the way he know what we needed.

I think that is why I was so hurt and offended by that bishop.

One bad apple does not ruin my faith and understanding.

No, it was not Debbie. (Sorry, there's apparently more than one bishop like that!)

Generally speaking I get along famously with bishops, stake presidents, and everybody else. Like you said, there are a few bad apples, but I won't let it spoil everything for me.

In my 40+ years in the church, I have seen some good bishops, and some whom I felt were not so grand. The ones I felt were not so grand were held up by some around me as being just fine or even their favorites. Maybe the problem was that I personally didn't have such a good relationship or experience with them, but they connected with others who were different from me, in a different way. Not every bishop is going to make every person in their ward love them, there will always be those who become upset with him, and those who will respect him for the very same acts.

I have read a few of the posts here. I hope that all members of the church and those who are not realize that those who are called as Bishops did not seek this calling. They were called of the Lord after much fasting and prayer by those who have stewardship over the wards at the stake and regional level. It is not a popularity contest. Yes we are all mortals, Bishops too. Some may not have reached you or reached out to you as they have to others. Perhaps others had greater needs that you have never or ever will know about.

I have the greatest love and admiration for anyone who would accept the call to be a Bishop or Branch President. The calling should come with the subtext, "Loved by many, hated by a few".

What was that story about the beam in your own eye and worrying about the mote in your brothers?

Ben Raines

Your right DR T

If I were to look back on all my years there was always more loved then disliked.

I am too always amazed at how bishops seem to be every were all at the time they are most needed.

Like that, bishop who dropped my children off we lived three blocks for the chapel they could have walked but something drew him to our street and it was not our children.

Bishops families should be sustained as well. Who is there for them?

I made a dinner for two once and dropped it off at their home knowing she would have the children in bed long before her husband would arrive home late from work. :idea:

It was a welcomed gift and in a simple act of dropping off a dinner shows how much we sustain all that a bishop does and the time his family gives up for us.