Question about Exodus 20:3

apexviper13

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Before I've always thought this meant to not have false gods but after rereading it last night I've viewed this verse a little differently. I understand that Joseph Smith taught about the plurality of gods and that popped into my mind when reading this verse. In Psalms 82:1 it reads this:

1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

Psalms 82:1, to me, doesn't seem to be talking about false gods at all. False gods are either non-existent or if they're men that want to be worshiped then those men would be cast down into Hell, not in the presence of God. Also, if they were false gods David, a man of God, would not have called them mighty. I wanted to bring that verse up to help explain my opinion on Exodus 20:3.

With that in mind is it possible that Exodus 20:3 is really saying that there are other divine beings but to put God above them?

David, a man of God, would not have called them mighty

He didn't. Laying aside the fact that Psalm 82 is attributed in the Psalter to Asaph, not David, "congregation of the mighty" is an egregious mistranslation. The Hebrew reads "adat El," the congregation of El, which is singular, not plural. It is also a proper name, the deity El. So this is the congregation belonging to El, the supreme deity. The gods who were assigned various lots abused their stewardship, and YHWH rails against them and passes judgement upon them.

Guest Sachi001

What it means that no deities, no one not even your spouse. Shall come first in your life in your relationship with HF. This is in relation to all things spiritual coming first and temporal second in the beginning. The way of the mortal world comes second to him, and that includes supposed role models like politicians, kings, presidents, athletes and movie stars, etc... even the First Presidency. This also means in relation to our worldly goods such as purchasing fancy cars and homes above our means. Then claiming they can't afford tithes because such expensive things lead to not service. You have put such over the Lord first.

This is part of the Iron Rod and the vision by Lehi of the tree of life. This is also why it's the First Commandment. It supersedes the other nine.

Edited by Sachi001

So this is the congregation belonging to El, the supreme deity.

No doubt, you interpret it this way because it fits your belief. Inserting the word "belonging" is where you turn it into your idea. It doesn't have to mean "belonging to," in the way you portray. It can mean "belonging to" as He is supreme of all that belong to it, understaning that all that belong to it are lesser, but still gods. It's a very fine line of interpretation.

No doubt, you interpret it this way because it fits your belief. Inserting the word "belonging" is where you turn it into your idea. It doesn't have to mean "belonging to," in the way you portray. It can mean "belonging to" as He is supreme of all that belong to it, understaning that all that belong to it are lesser, but still gods. It's a very fine line of interpretation.

Actually, the Hebrew grammar requires that understanding. Edat is the possesive form of edah, and is possesed by the noun (or proper noun) following it.

I'm afraid it really isn't easy to follow what you are saying, but if you think I was claiming that edat El doesn't mean that the members were gods then you are mistaken.

Something else I just thought of even though it's actually an obvious observation. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament. In John 20:17 Jesus says he hadn't returned to his God meaning he's calling the Father his God. Since the Father is Jesus' God and Jesus is the God of the Old Testament that makes the Father the God of the God of the Old Testament.

Before I've always thought this meant to not have false gods but after rereading it last night I've viewed this verse a little differently. I understand that Joseph Smith taught about the plurality of gods and that popped into my mind when reading this verse. In Psalms 82:1 it reads this:

Psalms 82:1, to me, doesn't seem to be talking about false gods at all. False gods are either non-existent or if they're men that want to be worshiped then those men would be cast down into Hell, not in the presence of God. Also, if they were false gods David, a man of God, would not have called them mighty. I wanted to bring that verse up to help explain my opinion on Exodus 20:3.

With that in mind is it possible that Exodus 20:3 is really saying that there are other divine beings but to put God above them?

A Jewish Rabbi once explained to me that the actual meaning was more along the line that whenever you come “before” G-d that you do not bring any other g-ds with you or in your presents.

The Traveler

Guest Sachi001
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Something else I just thought of even though it's actually an obvious observation. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament. In John 20:17 Jesus says he hadn't returned to his God meaning he's calling the Father his God. Since the Father is Jesus' God and Jesus is the God of the Old Testament that makes the Father the God of the God of the Old Testament.

Perhaps the God of the universe does answer to the gods of the next universe. Liken unto Christ who is answering to his Father now. However the first commandment seems to requires not to worship any other Gods except the Father in this Universe. Therefore until then when you are instructed in the Kingdom with more advanced knowledge. I suggest you stick to such that it is this Heavenly Father in the now.

John 14:6

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Christ said Father not Fathers as in singular. Indicating you have only one to worship.

Edited by Sachi001
Guest Sachi001

I was also thinking of this:

Perhaps the God of the universe does answer to the gods of the next universe. Liken unto Christ who is answering to his Father now. However the first commandment seems to requires not to worship any other Gods except the Father in this Universe. Therefore until then when you are instructed in the Kingdom with more advanced knowledge. I suggest you stick to such that it is this Heavenly Father in the now.

John 14:6

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Christ said Father not Fathers as in singular. Indicating you have only one to worship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Sachi001; 07-25-2011 at 10:59 PM.

I view it similarly-

he's saying how many others we should worship, and how many others have power over us.