What if the Book of Mormon came first?

apexviper13

I never thought of this until the other day and I think it's a question that should be asked. One reason people say they only need the Bible is because it came first although the Golden Plates themselves speak of events that date back to the Tower of Babel (that's in the book of Ether for those unaware).

My question is what if the Book of Mormon came to be before the Bible? Do you think more people would believe in the Book of Mormon's teachings?

The only way the Book of Mormon could have come first is if Lehi had added everything extant in the brass plates, which is genesis to jeremiah plus a few books not included in the bible today.

As long as this is a hypothetical, yes if the Book of Mormon came first, it would likely be the predominant scripture of Christianity. Along with that would be a serious loss however, as the Book of Mormon does not contain the earthly ministry and atonement and resurrection of our savior Jesus Christ.

For my part, I am grateful for the bible and what it contains of God's truth. We need it today as much as ever. The addition of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price are all needed to find the path back to Heavenly Father.

I never thought of this until the other day and I think it's a question that should be asked. One reason people say they only need the Bible is because it came first although the Golden Plates themselves speak of events that date back to the Tower of Babel (that's in the book of Ether for those unaware).

My question is what if the Book of Mormon came to be before the Bible? Do you think more people would believe in the Book of Mormon's teachings?

Depends.. if the BoM went the route that the bible did more or less, yes there likely would be more people believing it, but on the other hand it would probably be misintrepreted much more, and missing much more.

If the BoM came prior to the Bible, by rules of interpretation, wouldn't the Bible interpret the BoM, since it would be a latter revelation from God?

well if we were to swap the places of the two, technically it would not save for maybe one or two references... what it would do is guide pepole in their intrepretation/understanding of it of it.

within the BoM as we have it theres only one reference ot the bible, and only about one or two segments that quote the same scriptures from which a part of the bible comes from. So in itself it does not intrepret the bible, but it definitely has an influence in regards to what an individual understands about God, and thus changes what they get from the Bible, than were we to have only just one or the other (it goes the other way too)... So a good question would be is, "If the Bible didn't Exist would your views and understandings of the BoM be any different?"

Guest Sachi001

Hmm...well since the Bible is a collection of books the technically it did not exist until after the council of Nicea 325 A.D.

The BoM was not buried until around 400 A.D. but was an ongoing written account. Then BoM came first.

If you want to go by individual books in the Bible vs. Individual books in the BoM then Genesis wins?

Then again the PoGP is another debate. Both have the story Genesis. I guess PoGP trumps them all IMO of course.