Getting service when there is an adult male at home

dahlia

My suggestion ... figure out the cost of the yard service plus the trimming the trees ... he can either pay for it or do. Stand your ground

This is what I ended up doing. No harsh tones, no begging, just - 'the yard work needs to be done. You can pay for it or you can do it and if you do it, it needs to be done within 3 days.' I am mindful that he is starting school and is getting his schedule together. I waited this long, waiting a few more days weren't going to hurt.

So, no surprise - he opted to do the work and not pay for it to be done. He did the work the next day and we mutually agreed that the lawn service would have to do one task that was beyond the tools that I own.

Then I made him dinner. :D

I have begged and pleaded with my son to do some of the yard work. I have a service that mows the grass, but it costs extra to trim the bushes, etc. I want him to do it, but between work and starting grad school, he claims he doesn't have the time (he has time to date, but I digress...)

The elders are always looking for something to do, and this really isn't much, but I wonder if I should ask for their help or just beat my son into submission? I have tendonitis and even if I felt 100%, isn't there a point where the mom doesn't have to do this kind of work and the son steps in?

Sometimes I wonder if there is a psychological component to his behavior. He will often say, 'you can do it,' while I remind him I'm not as young as I look. I am58 and sometimes think he says I should do certain things because being able to do them means I'm not getting any older.

So, should I ask for the elders' help, or beat the boy?

If he still lives at home.. Yes. Also yes to asking for help from the church..... They need something to keep the deacons, teachers, and priests occupied :P

This is what I ended up doing. No harsh tones, no begging, just - 'the yard work needs to be done. You can pay for it or you can do it and if you do it, it needs to be done within 3 days.' I am mindful that he is starting school and is getting his schedule together. I waited this long, waiting a few more days weren't going to hurt.

So, no surprise - he opted to do the work and not pay for it to be done. He did the work the next day and we mutually agreed that the lawn service would have to do one task that was beyond the tools that I own.

Then I made him dinner. :D

Excellent!