reaching out

ReynaRosa

Hello, just wish to introduce myself, my name is Reyna Rosa, I'm 31 years old and I live in a small town in AZ, population aprox. 2000. It's been hard for me to make any kind of friends much less LDS friends or Christlike. I'm not your traditional LDS member, I have a spiritual walk that has lead me to that Church, but I do believe that my spirit is a free spirit and I'm not binded to the yoke of traditional members.

I've blogged on other websites and have accounts on other sites but I've mustured up the courage to say that I am lonely christian and it would be nice to make friends of anykind either face to face or via mail, text....who knows

Hello my new friend :-)

I converted to the church last year, been in about 18 months or so. In that time I've been in 4 wards in 3 states, currently and lastly Utah, Mormon Mecca. I can speak from experience confidently and tell you there is no such thing as a "traditional member" of the church. And if there was, it would be a different kind of person in each ward you go to, nothing traditional about that is there?

I felt completely out of place in my first ward. It was small, cliquey, and the bulk of the members there were older and very VERY well off in life. The number of members who hold PhDs in that ward is into double digits. I was in my late twenties and unemployed with no college. I never felt judged by anyone there, in fact a lot of them reached out to me. But I felt so out of place and honestly, inadequate. When I tried to find my place among them and find my identity in the ward, my attitude about myself and how I felt about myself when I was around "them" made for an awkward and unpleasant time for me. I kept to myself a lot, hanging out with the missionaries most of the time instead of getting to know my ward family. In the end I was the one who missed out, and it was no ones fault but mine.

I've moved around a lot through out my life, 15 moves across 9 states in 9 years. My advice to you is realize that wherever you go and whatever you look for, you'll find it. If you expect to find cookie-cutter Mormons then that's what you'll see. Every Sunday go up to someone you don't know and introduce yourself with a smile and a handshake. And the following Sunday, introduce yourself to someone else. Repeat until You've met everyone. Then you'll know whether you fit in with traditional members or not ;-)

Also, you are never alone. Boyd K. Packer explains ...

"Learn to pray. Pray often. Pray in your mind, in your heart. Pray on your knees. Prayer is your personal key to heaven. The lock is on your side of the veil. And I have learned to conclude all my prayers with ‘Thy will be done’ (Matthew 6:10; see also Luke 11:2; 3 Nephi 13:10)."

— Boyd K. Packer

there is no such thing as a "traditional member" of the church.

To add to Spartans point - I'm 26, raised in the church AND unmarried (Utah joke) ;). I've sported every hair cut from a devilock to a mohawk (current is mohawk). One of my favorite kinds of music is symphonic deathmetal.

The members and non-members alike on this forum can have widely varying personalities and opinions, I'm sure you will find yourself at home here ReynaRosa!

One of my favorite kinds of music is symphonic deathmetal.

I remember ordering Oceanborn from a century media catalog as soon as it was available. I was in love with Nightwish and Stratovarius. There were other bands I was into, In Flames, Hammerfall, Children of Bodom in small doses, Nevermore then Dream Theater. Then the internet happened and I lost interest as they got popularer. Rhapsody was epic too. Now I'm 29 and listen to cheesy 80's music. Life is good.

Replying to both.

thank you guys...i'm not having a good day today, but know that I appreciate taking the time to say hi and letting me know how each of you feel about my introduction. Hopefully my time here on earth will level out and my life circumstance will eventually minimize it's effect on me.

Again, just taking the time to say hello and thank you. God bless..

Hello, just wish to introduce myself, my name is Reyna Rosa, I'm 31 years old and I live in a small town in AZ, population aprox. 2000. It's been hard for me to make any kind of friends much less LDS friends or Christlike. I'm not your traditional LDS member, I have a spiritual walk that has lead me to that Church, but I do believe that my spirit is a free spirit and I'm not binded to the yoke of traditional members.

I've blogged on other websites and have accounts on other sites but I've mustured up the courage to say that I am lonely christian and it would be nice to make friends of anykind either face to face or via mail, text....who knows

well hello:)

sorry to hear your day hasn't gone well, but i hope it will improve for ya.

Sometimes oopening up and just talking to someone is one of the greatest challenges.