Any Recommended Books For Help With Bom?

MikeyG1965

This is my first post here and hopefully not in the wrong place.

My niece is a member of the Church and is married to a non-member. She became inactive after high school.

Recently, my niece and her five year old daughter were involved in a serious accident.

Thru prayers and blessings, they have gotten better. They both still have a long road to recovery, but they are getting better. My niece has started going back to Church. Now my niece's husband interested in learning more about the Church and he would like to read the Book of Mormon and understand it.

I've sort have become his "guide" on things LDS. He is not to the step of asking the Missionaries to visit.

Any one has suggestions/advice on any publications that will help him gain a better understanding of the BoM?

As a matter of fact there is a book. It is called 'Book of Mormon Student Manual' and can be purchased for dirt cheap at any LDS bookstore. It is actually a companion to the Book of Mormon and is intended to be read along with the Book of Mormon.

Thanks LionHeart...I will look into it.

He has been touched by the Spirit...I know it. He has seen what the power of prayer and faith can do. I want to help (but not push) him to learn more.

• 3 weeks later...

As a matter of fact there is a book. It is called 'Book of Mormon Student Manual' and can be purchased for dirt cheap at any LDS bookstore. It is actually a companion to the Book of Mormon and is intended to be read along with the Book of Mormon.

You can also download the BOM study guide MP3 format for free HERE... B) Not the same as the student manual, but helpful nonetheless.

Any one has suggestions/advice on any publications that will help him gain a better understanding of the BoM?

You are absolutely in the right place....the best book I could suggest is "Our Search for Happiness" by Elder M. Russell Ballard. A fabulous book for someone interested in learning about the church...easy to read, 128 pages! This book really touches on many truths...this is a must read for investigators. Here's some insight in the book:

From the beginning of time, men and women have searched for the elusive answers to life's most bewildering questions:

• Who am I?

• Where did I come from?

• What is life all about?

• Does God have a plan for me?

• What is my relationship to Jesus Christ?

• Is there purpose in what I am doing?

• How can I find peace and happiness?

Living in a world filled with confusion and uncertain values, who wouldn't like a clearer picture of just what it is we're doing here on planet earth? And who doesn't want to find peace and happiness now—the kind of happi­ness that transcends the trials and the trage­dies of life?

Fortunately, there are answers.

In Our Search for Happiness: An Invitation to Understand The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, M. Russell Ballard proposes that the meaning of life is to be found not in philosophy or supposition, but in revealed truth.

Here are reasonable and clear explanations of how we are related to God; the extent of His love for us; how we can communicate with Him; Jesus Christ's role as our Savior and Re­deemer; what our purpose in life is; how families can be together forever; and how we can secure for ourselves the happiness we seek—concepts that became known when the Lord restored the fullness of His gospel through The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I checked ebay and there are 4 copies for sale ranging from $3.99 to $11.99!

• 2 weeks later...

My niece is a member of the Church and is married to a non-member. She became inactive after high school.

Recently, my niece and her five year old daughter were involved in a serious accident.

Thru prayers and blessings, they have gotten better. They both still have a long road to recovery, but they are getting better. My niece has started going back to Church. Now my niece's husband interested in learning more about the Church and he would like to read the Book of Mormon and understand it.

I've sort have become his "guide" on things LDS. He is not to the step of asking the Missionaries to visit.

I think you've already been given some excellent suggestions, but I'd like to add what really helped me.

When I read the Book of Mormon and understood what they had written I found what to me was the key.

It wasn't in other words, even though others were really good, that the Spirit helped me to really see.

The power came through a witness from the writers of that book, so ask him to just read it and let it be.

:)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...