What is Relief society?

Danielle-marie

Hi there!

If any of you have read my intro, Im new, My name is Danielle-Marie and I am not LDS, but my husband is. I have taken a tour from the missionaries in my area when I was living in AZ, and asked my husband plenty of questions, but I was hoping to find out more about relief society from women. What do you do, and what do you learn?

And I had another question, do many have jobs where they cannot attend church? I am a nurse, and my schedule gets pretty hectic. Its hard to find a nursing position that is going to let you have weekends off, unless you have built a rapport with them.

I wont be able to go to church anytime soon, we are stationed overseas, in Korea and the nearest LDS church is nearly 2 hours away, in heavy traffic, but I would like to know more! Person experiences, how its helped you.

Thank you.

Hi there!

If any of you have read my intro, Im new, My name is Danielle-Marie and I am not LDS, but my husband is. I have taken a tour from the missionaries in my area when I was living in AZ, and asked my husband plenty of questions, but I was hoping to find out more about relief society from women. What do you do, and what do you learn?

And I had another question, do many have jobs where they cannot attend church? I am a nurse, and my schedule gets pretty hectic. Its hard to find a nursing position that is going to let you have weekends off, unless you have built a rapport with them.

I wont be able to go to church anytime soon, we are stationed overseas, in Korea and the nearest LDS church is nearly 2 hours away, in heavy traffic, but I would like to know more! Person experiences, how its helped you.

Thank you.

Relief Society (RS) is the largest women's organization in the world. The following link might be helpful in explaining the RS within the church: Relief Society

Many men and women who are members of the church also have jobs in the health care field. In our ward we have a doctor and several nurses. Other fields require work on Sunday too. We all do the best we can.

The most important reason for going to church on Sunday is to attend Sacrament Meeting and partake of the Sacrament to renew our baptismal covenants.

I cannot put in one sentence or even a paragraph how much the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has helped me in my. Its immeasurable. Christ is my Savior, the Son of God. Without Him I am nothing.

The link applepansy provided covers pretty much everything. :) From personal experience though, I'd have to say that Relief Society is what you make of it. It could be nothing more than just another "class" where you discuss gospel topics, or it could be a comprehensive support network for getting help in times of need. We get what we put in, I think- so the more you are participating, the more you will get out of it. And you don't have to be in the meetings on Sunday to be participating. Many sisters have callings in the primary, nursery, or other areas that prevent them from attending the class on Sunday, but we all find ways to stay in touch with one another and stay supportive.

Visiting teaching is a vital part of that support network. Two sisters are assigned a "partnership" to visit other sisters in the ward. These pairs set out to visit with all their assigned sisters at least once a month to share a spiritual message and see if there is anything they can do to be helpful. This can cover anything! Babysitting, making meals, helping clean house, yard work, getting some men in the ward to help with car troubles or moving boxes or furniture, etc. Anything you might need help with, your visiting teachers (and home teachers- men assigned to visit families) are your go-to people.

Then there are meetings and activites outside Sunday that you can attend depending on your interests. A lot of Relief Socities have book clubs or playdates for sisters in the ward to get together. There are also monthly Relief Society activities where the ward plans something for the sisters to get together and learn more about. This can be family history work, service projects, sewing projects, learning to cook/recipe sharing, spousal support, etc. Again, anything! The sky's the limit. :D