Need some help with a talk ....

Madriglace

I have to speak in Sacrement Meeting on the 23rd .... the topic I was given was "Jesus Christ , the Master Teacher". I feel like instead of talking about what He taught that I need togo with HOW He taught and then tie it into how He invites us to join Him in teaching the world.

So ... suggestions on examples of his teaching methods ... parables is one I am looking at, having people essentially teach themselves by asking the questions so they have to work it out for themselves and of course the most powerful is by His example. Any other suggestions ..

Thanks in advance for your help

From my study of the scriptures it appears that he helped individuals move through the following:

1. What do you think?

2. Why do you think that?

3. Here is what I believe/know

4. What do you think now?

5. How can I help?

That seems to be a pattern I see repeated.

-RM

If anything, Christ showed us the Gospel is extremely simple. There's a quote from John taylor, I think, that says real intelligence is the ability to take a subject that is enormous and complex and break it down so simply that even a child can understand it. Christ's teachings are incredibly profound and the symbols and parables in them help make them a fountain of profound truths. At the same time, children can understand them in their beautiful simplicity.

The book "Teaching, no Greater Call" (available online) contains a lot of tips for teaching, but where it will help you the most is where it relates those teaching methods to Christ. For most every teaching method there's something in there showing how Christ used a certain skill/method to teach well. You'll find a lot of good qualities of Christ in there related to your lesson. :)

The main teaching method that Christ used in all his dealings with mortal men, and how he related his message was through common everyday situations and scenarios. Think about it, he is sitting at the well when the Samaritan woman came to him. He used the opportunity of drawing water from the well to teach her about those who truly hunger and thirst and how he is the fountain of living waters. His parables were established on gardening principles, harvesting, laboring, workers in the vineyard, and even the Jewish Marriage Custom. His reference also includes teaching how he is the Bridegroom and his disciples and those who followed Christ are the Bride (again, pointing back to the Ancient Jewish Wedding Custom).

So, if I were asked to give a talk on Jesus Christ, our Master Teacher, I would focus on how he took the opportunities to teach simple principles through every day ordinary events and circumstances.

There are many diverse New Testament Scripture passages that come to mind on this. Already mentioned is the Samaritan woman at the well, the Good Samaritan, the Beatitudes, the Woman caught in Adultery, the Calming of the Sea, Calling Peter to come to him as he is walking on the water, becoming like Little Children, preparations in our mortal life and how they apply to our eternal welfare and well-being (parable of the Ten Virgins), understanding the spiritual aspect of the law and not the law itself, the Widows mite, all are great references that focus on such ordinary and every day examples. Eating with the Tax Collector's is another great one.

Hope that helps.