Radura Symbol

Chibihippo

I was wondering if anybody on here knew of any products that had it.

My food microbiology course is offering some extra credit for finding a package with it. I went to a grocery store yesterday but wasn't able to find anything and got blank stares from the employees. I plan on going around to some other stores tomorrow but I'm hoping somebody could help to narrow my search.

For those of you that don't know what the radura symbol is, it is an international symbol used to mark foods that have been processed using ionizing radiation.

Posted Image

Edited by Chibihippo

You may be able to get some company names and products by searching pure food type websites trying to steer people away from them. Also if you don't want to go that route the CDC has a list of foods approved for irradiation here: Disease Listing, Food Irradiation | CDC Bacterial, Mycotic Diseases which may help you cut down on your search if you end up going into a Walmart or the like.

Edited by Dravin

You may be able to get some company names and products by searching pure food type websites trying to steer people away from them. Also if you don't want to go that route the CDC has a list of foods approved for irradiation here: Disease Listing, Food Irradiation | CDC Bacterial, Mycotic Diseases which may help you cut down on your search if you end up going into a Walmart or the like.

I had thought of going that route but I couldn't find a site that listed anything specific. For the most part they seemed to go on long rants about how the government and food corporations are just trying to poison us.

I already had a list like the CDC's but thank you for taking the time to find it.

In the interests of turning this into a discussion what is everybody's opinion on using radiation as a form of pasteurization/sterilization?

I personally don't have a problem with using it as a part of a company's HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points). One thing I saw a lot when viewing websites of people opposing it was the claim that it is a band aid for poor sanitation or not following the cGMP (current good manufacturing practices). However I don't see it as replacing cGMPs but being integrated into them to insure a safer, longer lasting product.

So if I eat it I will glow in the dark?

Sadly, no. Food exposed to ionizing radiation in no way becomes a carrier of that radiation, nor does the food itself become radioactive. From what I've read about it, the process works really well at killing bacteria, so I'd be perfectly fine with it, as long as the process is subjected to the same QC tests as other sanitation processes.

Guest Magen_Avot

Try beef and poultry. You've already found jerky.

I've probly already eaten some. I guess that means I don't really care.

Hmmm,... Nuclear burritos! :eek:

Radiant corn chips :eek:

Glowing reviews :lol:

Edited by Magen_Avot