What Is Peace

Traveler

It is said that Jesus brings peace. Yet the scriptures record that Jesus died a violent death as did most of his apostles and many of his disciples. What is the recipe of peace that Jesus taught - can you give examples in scripture where his recipe succeeded in turning violence to peace?

The Traveler

Hi Traveler,

Maybe if you see being seperated from God the Father as violence, then the work of Jesus, dying his horrible death was bringing about peace in the reconciliation of people to God.

Dr. T

There is a part of this that I find interesting and I think I may agree but there in an implication I am not sure I find agreeable. For example I do not believe a mother that takes the lives of her children so they can be safe with G-d and be free of Satan and the evils of this world has the right idea of bringing the peace Jesus taught. I believe you are close but have not seen the forest for all the trees.

The Traveler

I had hoped that this was a subject of interest and opinion. I want to thank all that have responded for your thoughts.

My thoughts are a little different. I believe that the Peace of Jesus is brought about by his sacrifice. And that peace in our lives will come about by our sacrifice in like manner. That is that by making of ourself a sacrifice for others we bring the peace of Christ. Jesus demonstrated sacrifice and that as we sacrifice ourselves we will have the same peace or the greater the sacrifice we make the greater is our peace.

Sometimes the doctrine of sacrifice seems to be lost in our modern times of "me first".

Sometimes I get the impression that the idea of salvation is that it is all about me and what G-d has done for me and what I am going to get or how it is that I am saved. This often lookes a lot like Me, ME, ME, me, me, me and what's in it for me. I think salvation is really you, others, my fellow man, and everybody else but me. Or in other words what can I contribute. I just do not understand the concept in salvation that only what Jesus does counts. I really believe that he wants us to care about others and that love (that comes from sacrifice) can make a difference.

The Traveler

I think we have similar thoughts (from what I think I hear you saying) on this. From my perspective, I can hear you talking about the "me" society and seeking self gratification. I would start to think that our real purpose on Earth/life is not solely to achieve heaven. I think it is a byproduct of belief but not necessarily the ultimate goal. It might better be described as an ultimate subjection of self to the rightful return to the owner/Supreme Being of all things. In pointing to Him, and learning/sharing Him, then all things are an offering to Him.

Dr. T

I believe I see what you're saying. It's similar to what Joseph Smith was feeling three days before he died when he said this:

"I am going like a lamb to the slaughter; but I am calm as the summers morning; I have a concience void of offense towards God, and towards all men. I shall die innocent, and it shall yet be said of me--he was murdered in cold blood."

So basically, his inner peace came in knowing that our Heavenly Father was well pleased with him and his works.

Or better yet when Jesus was about to go to the Cross at calvary and didnt want to but He did because it was the will of the Father. He went and died for our sins so that we can actually have peace in our lives. He died a horrible death on a cross so that we could have life. He took our sins-that rob us of peace. He took our sickness too. He took it all on the cross.

"But he{JESUS} was wounded for our transgressions, he{JESUS} was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."

See, the cross was where He finished it all-so we could actually have peace in our heart and be at peace with God the Father.

I will leave you with this:

"So they took Jesus, and he went out, bearing his own cross, to the place called the place of a skull, which is called in Hebrew Golgotha. There they crucified him, and with him two others, one on either side, and Jesus between them. Pilate also wrote a title and put it on the cross; it read, 'Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews'. Many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek. The chief priests of the Jews then said to Pilate, 'Do not write, The King of the Jews', but, 'This man said, I am King of the Jews'. Pilate answered, 'What I have written I have written'. When the soldiers had crucified Jesus they took his garments and made four parts, one for each soldier; also his tunic. But the tunic was without seam, woven from top to bottom; so they said to one another, 'Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it to see whose it shall be'. this was to fulfill the scripture. "They parted my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots". So the soldiers did this. But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, 'Woman, behold, your son!' Then he said to the disciple, 'Behold, your mother!' And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. After this Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfil the scripture), 'I thirst'. A bowl full of vinegar stood there; so they put a sponge full of the vinegar on hyssop and held it to his mouth. When Jesus had received the vinegar, he said, 'It is finished'; and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit"

- John 19:17-30

I believe I see what you're saying. It's similar to what Joseph Smith was feeling three days before he died when he said this:

"I am going like a lamb to the slaughter; but I am calm as the summers morning; I have a concience void of offense towards God, and towards all men. I shall die innocent, and it shall yet be said of me--he was murdered in cold blood."

So basically, his inner peace came in knowing that our Heavenly Father was well pleased with him and his works.