Restored Gospel

Guest sissygal

Guest sissygal

Hi All

I'm non LDS. I'd like to know what is meant by the restored gospel. I asked this question on another site, but did not get a real answer. If you have specifics, I would appreciate. My son joined the Mormon Church about a year ago and was recently elevated to Melchidezek. He went through an interview process to get this designation. I asked him what questions he was asked and he said he was asked if he believes in the restored gospel. I asked him what that meant, but he wasn't sure. He said that the early church went into an apostatic state and the Mormons restored it. How and what they did, he's not sure. They wrote another book. That's probably what is meant, he said. So, that's my question. Thanks

Sissygal

sissygal,

If you have questions ask the LDS missionarys they can answer your concerns,

Some of us could give it a good shot. Please keep an open mind and an open heart.

The book you are asking about is the Book of Mormon it is a compaion

to the bible and tells of christ vist here on the American continet.

And the life of people here. If you have a BofM turn to Moroni Chapter

10:3-7

If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask.

Lash :D

Guest sissygal

Hi Lash:

Thanks for the reply. What concerns me is that this is the sort of answer I got before. It's not really an answer. Unfortunately, the missionaries came to our house a lot. They loved it here and we fed them a couple of times a week. I didn't really have questions for them, then. That's because I didn't really know what my questions were. Finally, my favortie missionary got reassigned and I was left with a couple of newbies. I invited them to a graduation party I threw for my son and they came dressed up as missionaries and started proslatysing (sp) my guests.

They wouldn't let anyone know their names and they were just jerks. I wrote to the missionary president and complained about them. And--I said I'd never let any missionaries in my home again. I was that angry with their rude inconsideration of my family and guests. So, I really don't want to talk to missionaries. I'm through with them. Once I saw those (rude ones) walking in the rain and I pulled over to offer them a ride home and they declined because I was in the car by myself and whatever--They'd rather catch their death of pneumonia apparently. Sorry--I just can't have any thing to do with missionaries. They're not for me.

Sissygal.

Anyone else with a real answer?

Guest sissygal

Hi Lash:

Got your message. I apologize to say I'm really only marginally interested. I told the truth when I said I've asked this question numerous times without getting an answer. And I asked my son who I believe should know and he couldn't answer. So, at this point, I believe the question to be a trick question and for me to even ask it, is rude at best. If there is an answer, then I would read it and I wouldn't argue with you about it. But, quite honestly, I don't expect an answer.

Have a nice weekend.

Sissygal.

Sissygal,

After waking up and rereading you question.

I also gave it a little more thought I try and give my beat shot at this.

Yes the gospel was restored back to the earth and has a prophet to lead

and guide just like the when christ was upon the earth. When Christ was take

from the earth the church fell into aposity.

The gospel was restored back to the earth when Joseph Smith asked

the lord which church he should join and he was told not to join none of them

because the true church wasnt upon the earth.

As the Lord worked through him the fullness of the gospel was restored to

the earth.

So there is aprophet and apostles, teachers and the presithood has been restored.

I dont think your question was rude it was an honest one and neede to be answered.

Iam glad that you are looking and wanting to know so I will answer what I

can.

Catch you later B)

The Restored Gospel to me is what Lash was saying. Here is what it says from 1 Nephi 3:

They have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious;

And also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away;

And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord; that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men:

Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God;

And after these plain and precious things were taken away, it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles:

And after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen, with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity;

Thou seest because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God;

Because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceeding great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them;

Plus restoring the priesthood, etc.

Hope that helps

As we consider the history of Christian thinking over the past 2000 years we see an evolution of sorts. The experts in history call this "reform". To LDS reform means in essence changes brought about by man or men inspired to make things better.

LDS do not believe man should "reform" the things of G-d. It is our basic belief that if the doctrines, orginaztion or practices have become corrupt that in essence G-d will start over with a restoration.

This is because the things of G-d are to be kept "pure" and "clean". Sometimes the scriptures talk about being "unspoted" from the world. The idea is that G-d does not operate using a reform method but rather the method used by G-d is that of "rebirth". Sometimes called "borne again".

I hope this helps.

Guest MaioCampo

Just gonna toss a couple of articles at you, sissygal:

Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ

When Latter-day Saints speak of the "restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ" they refer primarily to the restoration that has occurred in the latter days, establishing the dispensation of the fulness of times (Eph. 1:10; D&C 27:13). However, there have been a number of restorations of the gospel over the history of the earth.

"Restoration" means to bring back that which was once present but which has been lost. The introduction of the gospel of Jesus Christ on this earth began with Adam and Eve. In the Garden of Eden they partook of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil (Moses 4:12), and as a result they became fallen and mortal and were expelled from the garden. God then revealed to them that they could be redeemed through the Only Begotten (Moses 5:1-12) and gave Adam the priesthood after the Order of the Son of God (cf. Abr. 1:3; Fac. 3, Fig. 3, Book of Abraham). Thereafter, they received the various ordinances of the gospel, including a ceremonial Endowment, and entered into covenants of obedience to all of God's commandments (Fac. 3, Fig. 3, Book of Abraham).

After Adam and Eve became parents, they taught their children the gospel of Jesus Christ. But many of their posterity loved Satan more than God and from that time forth began to be "carnal, sensual, and devilish" (Moses 5:12-13). Eventually mankind substituted worldly interests in place of the commandments of God, and in time the gospel was distorted, fragmented, and lost from the earth.

Prophets have been called by God from time to time to restore the true covenants and gospel of Jesus Christ. One of the prophets was Abraham (Abr. 3:22-25), who, having proved his faithfulness in numerous ways, was given a special covenant for himself, his descendants, and all who accept the gospel. This covenant extended to all future generations and nations of the earth (see Abrahamic Covenant). Another was Moses, through whom the Lord restored the gospel for a short time, but because of the unwillingness of the people, the Lord instituted a preparatory law to help the people turn their hearts from idolatry to God (see Law of Moses). Later God revealed his gospel to Elijah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, among others, who urged the people to repentance and faithfulness. Many ancient prophets testified of a coming Messiah and of his crucifixion and resurrection. They also spoke of a subsequent long period of apostasy, but promised that there would be a restoration in the latter days, prior to the second coming of the Lord (cf. Amos 8-9).

The same gospel, covenants, and ordinances that had once been given to Adam, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, and the other ancient prophets, were restored to the earth during the meridian of time when Jesus Christ lived on the earth. However, the Church that Jesus established in New Testament times was short-lived because of apostasy, which resulted in part from persecution and the eventual dispersion and death of the apostles. Hence, the authority of the priesthood, much of the gospel of Christ, and the ordinances and covenants were again lost to the earth. Peter, John, and Paul each spoke of this apostasy, which was already starting in their day, and prophesied that there would also be a restoration.

In the spring of 1820 a vision was given to Joseph Smith, near Palmyra, New York, in response to his fervent prayer to know the truth concerning religion. In this experience, Joseph Smith was visited by God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ (JS-H 1:17; see also First Vision). In subsequent visits, holy angels instructed, ordained, and prepared him to become a latter-day prophet and an instrument in God's hands in restoring the gospel of Jesus Christ for the last time and setting up the kingdom spoken of by Daniel (Dan. 2; D&C 27:13; 65:1-6).

As part of this restoration, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized by revelation on April 6, 1830, "it being regularly organized and established agreeable to the laws of our country, by the will and commandments of God" (D&C 20:1). It has the same priesthood, doctrines, and ordinances, and the same "organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, Evangelists, and so forth" (A of F 6). Eventually, all of the keys of the priesthood, which had been given to man from Adam's time onward, were restored. Prophets who held priesthood keys anciently came to Joseph Smith and conferred those keys upon him (D&C 128:18). These included John the Baptist (D&C 13), Peter, James, and John (D&C 27:12), and Moses, Elias, and Elijah (D&C 110:11-16).

Thus, through the latter-day Prophet there has been a restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth with the powers, authority, and ordinances as in ancient times. Other aspects of the restoration to occur are the gathering of Israel, the second coming of Christ, and the Millennium.

(Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 1-4 vols., edited by Daniel H. Ludlow (New York: Macmillan, 1992), 1220.)

Guest MaioCampo

Restoration of All Things

The concept of a restoration of all things is biblical and is frequently spoken of in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Peter spoke of the anticipated "times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began" (Acts 3:21). Latter-day Saints understand this as a prophetic anticipation of a full and final restoration of the gospel in the development and fulfillment of the purposes of God in the last days. The current era is therefore called the dispensation of the fulness of times in which all things will be gathered together in Christ (Eph. 1:10; D&C 27:13). The Church teaches that every gospel truth and blessing, and all priesthood authority, keys, ordinances, and covenants necessary for mankind's eternal salvation have been, or will be, restored in this dispensation. In this manner, the blessings of dispensations past will "flow into the most glorious and greatest of dispensations, like clear streams flowing into a mighty river" (DS 1:168).

The restoration spoken of in the scriptures involves more than a reestablishment of the Church and the function of saving ordinances. Scattered Israel will be gathered, the second coming of Christ will occur, the Millennium will begin, the kingdom of God will be established worldwide, and "the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory" (A of F 10).

The Prophet Joseph Smith testified that he was visited by divine messengers from former dispensations who conferred upon him priesthood powers and restored ordinances, doctrines, and blessings that existed in their dispensations. A brief outline follows:

1. God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ initiated the restoration when they appeared to Joseph Smith in the spring of 1820. He was told to join none of the churches of the day, and he was also taught important truths about the nature of the Godhead (see First Vision).

2. The angel Moroni visited Joseph Smith, revealing the plates of the Book of Mormon, which Joseph Smith translated, restoring gospel knowledge that had been lost to the earth in the centuries since biblical times. Latter-day Saints believe that the canon of scripture is not closed and that God "will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God" (A of F 9), including additional volumes of holy scripture.

3. On May 15, 1829, Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery were ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood under the hands of John the Baptist (D&C 13:1).

4. In 1829 or 1830, three New Testament apostles-Peter, James, and John-conferred the Melchizedek Priesthood, including the power of laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost, upon Joseph and Oliver and ordained them "apostles and special witnesses" of Jesus Christ. This ordination restored to earth the same authority that existed in the Church during the Savior's ministry.

5. The restoration includes reestablishment of an organization to teach the gospel and administer its ordinances. The sixth Article of Faith states, "We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, Evangelists, and so forth." Formal organization of the Church occurred on April 6, 1830, in Fayette, New York.

6. On April 3, 1836, the prophet Moses came to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in the Kirtland Temple in Ohio and conferred the "keys of the gathering of Israel from the four parts of the earth" (D&C 110:11).

7. The prophet Elias conferred the keys of the dispensation of the gospel of Abraham (D&C 110:12), restoring the patriarchal order of marriage and the gifts and blessings given to Abraham and his posterity (DS 3:127; MD, p. 203).

8. Elijah restored authority to bind and seal on earth and in heaven, including the power to seal husbands and wives to each other, and children to their parents (Smith, p. 252). This fulfilled Malachi's prophecy that Elijah should be sent to "turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the children to the fathers, lest the whole earth be smitten with a curse" (Mal. 4:5-6; D&C 110:15). The genealogical research of the LDS Church and the temple ordinances performed on behalf of the dead are integral parts of this process (see Genealogy).

The restoration will result in the culmination of all of God's purposes on the earth. The scriptures even speak of a reshaping of the land surfaces, with a coming together of the continents (D&C 133:23-24; cf. Gen. 10:25).

The fundamental purpose of the restoration is to prepare the Church and the world to receive their King, the Lord Jesus Christ. Latter-day Saints view the restoration of all things as the work of God preparatory to the time when all old things shall become new, with a new heaven and a new earth. The restoration will include resurrection, regeneration, and renewal to all life upon the earth and the glorification of the earth itself, when it becomes a celestial sphere (Isa. 65:17; Matt. 19:28; Rev. 21:1; D&C 29:22-25; 88:17-20, 25-26). As explained by Alma, referring in particular to the resurrection, "the plan of restoration is requisite with the justice of God; …that all things should be restored to their proper order" (Alma 41:2).

(Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 1-4 vols., edited by Daniel H. Ludlow (New York: Macmillan, 1992), 1219.)

Guest sissygal

Hi Gang:

Ijust came over to this site and saw quite a few answers to my question. In fact, some are so thoroough I wasn't laughing--that's not it--but it was something close to laughing. It was definitely a funny surpirse.

And--since I am pleased that you took the time to actually answer, I must say: I thank you thank you thank you. I actually feel flattered that you took the time to spell all this out. And, I'll come back and read these posts again. Some are involved and I really can't take it in so quickly. (I do have a copy of the BOM) So, Happy New Year.

SissyGal

• 1 year later...

I thought I would look at some of the earliest posts on the site tonight, and found this one...

I wonder whether sissygal has read through all the books/documents recommended, and whether she has any thoughts on it to share with us 12 months later?

For instance, has she become a member of the LDS church and studied more of its history/practises?

I have a question regarding the 'restoration' too...is there any way in which you can proove your theory that the church was restored by Joseph Smith using only Bible quotes, rather than referring to the BoM and D&C, Book of Abraham...etc. which non-lds people would consider biased.

Originally posted by Traveler@Jan 5 2004, 04:57 PM

As we consider the history of Christian thinking over the past 2000 years we see an evolution of sorts. The experts in history call this "reform". To LDS reform means in essence changes brought about by man or men inspired to make things better.

LDS do not believe man should "reform" the things of G-d. It is our basic belief that if the doctrines, orginaztion or practices have become corrupt that in essence G-d will start over with a restoration.

This is because the things of G-d are to be kept "pure" and "clean". Sometimes the scriptures talk about being "unspoted" from the world. The idea is that G-d does not operate using a reform method but rather the method used by G-d is that of "rebirth". Sometimes called "borne again".

I hope this helps.

Unfortunately, as much as we may like to say the Church doesn't reform anything, an overview of the LDS Church since 1830 will reveal plenty of reforms over time.

Originally posted by Cal@Jan 25 2005, 07:20 PM

Unfortunately, as much as we may like to say the Church doesn't reform anything, an overview of the LDS Church since 1830 will reveal plenty of reforms over time.

Does this not worry you at all Cal? Does it not weaken your testimony?

Originally posted by pushka+Jan 25 2005, 07:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pushka @ Jan 25 2005, 07:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Jan 25 2005, 07:20 PM

Does this not worry you at all Cal? Does it not weaken your testimony?

My testimony of what? Can you be more specific? I have testimonies about lots of things--some stronger than others.

I'm sorry to have been so vague Cal...I suppose I was referring to the old 'this is my testimony..' saying...I have read your answer in another post where you say that you choose to believe some things and not others? hope that is what you meant! I was just thinking that your whole belief in the LDS church being the 'true' church might be a little shaken by your doubts over events/reforms etc.

Originally posted by pushka@Jan 28 2005, 04:02 PM

I'm sorry to have been so vague Cal...I suppose I was referring to the old 'this is my testimony..' saying...I have read your answer in another post where you say that you choose to believe some things and not others? hope that is what you meant! I was just thinking that your whole belief in the LDS church being the 'true' church might be a little shaken by your doubts over events/reforms etc.

You are still being a little vague, but I will humor you and say that my testimony is that I believe that the church is true enough to justify doing any good you can in its name, but not true enough to justify doing or thinking any evil, injustice or irrational things in its name.