Something That Has Me Cheesed Off!

Yokomsa

Greetings one and all!

I have been inactive for awhile and I am tip toeing back in the realm of the Church. No, I never lost my testimony, I just put it away for awhile.

Anyway. Something that I have a growing concern about is the rudeness of the church members and over usage of the Prophets of the Church in Sunday talks.

Here is the rudeness observation-

For example- me and my family are preparing to leave one state completely and move to another one. There are some factors here- no job, housing, or even a friend. We are basically taking a huge leap of faith. Anyway, I call the local area church and leave a message.

Later on, I get a phone call from a ward clerk who made me feel like I had to justify my family's move to HIS ward. I clearly stated that we weren't looking for assistance, but we wanted church members to be aware that we would be possibly attending the ward in the near future. He actually said to me, "I don't understand why you are moving to a place where you have no jobs, housing, or anything." It almost felt like he was suggesting that we were getting ready to scam the Church out of a jar of peach jam! (Which is sooo good! But I will go and buy my supply for food storage!)

Then I quickly replied- "are you going sit on your bottom when the good Lord tells you something to do?" The Lord has confirmed that we are to be moving onto this place and that should be good enough. I basically told him that my husband's family always said when a new church member calls you, you say Welcome to the area and the Ward--- How may I be of assistance.

The rudeness doesn't stop there. It is seen in the halls while classes are going on, Sacrament being passed. The worst thing I have EVER seen is a child playing a Gameboy in Sacrament meetings. These actions have been witnessed time and time again. But when you witness something inappropriate and you want to bring it to the attention of the person, you get labels and people start to talk about ya behind your back.

Then along the same lines with the Gameboy, the young men and women are being allowed to get away with anything! For example, I have observed that a bishop will take a young man under his wing and have him be an errand boy for the bishop. This never fails- he thinks he is exempt from the rules of the Church because he has the bishop's permission to run amuck. Once he gets done with whatever, he gets his friends together and then they go to the halls and act like that is their living room and when you tell them to get to class, they get that dumb "deer in the headlights look" and put the act on of what--- I am not doing anything wrong. Bull! You are breathing oxygen outside your classroom!

Where are church member's manners and etiquette these days?

Then my 2nd topic--

The over usage of the Prophets in Sunday Talks. AKA- Less glory to God given.

Sittin in Sacrament meeting was listening to some talks and I realized that all 3 talks given down played the role or hardly acknowledged God. But yet, Joseph Smith was put on that throne instead.

I have a real concern when a mortal man is now put on the same level as Our Heavenly Father. Joseph DIDN'T start the church! God started it a long time ago and found Joseph willing to take on the task of bringing it back to people. He knew that it would be hard and life would be tough, but he took on the task of becoming the Prophet of the new Church. Prophet essentially means one regarded by a group of followers as the final authoritative revealer of God's will This is just in case you were wondering the definition of Prophet. I like Merriam-Websters dictionary online!! :D

Joseph played a pivotal role in many things, but his accomplishments are NOT on the level of Christ's sacrifice for us. Joseph was still mortal, he had bad habits, and he even probably got egotistical in leading the church because of the guidance which was given and the members gained wealth and status and Joseph was right in the middle!

In my View I feel that there is too much attention placed on the Prophets of the Church. They are merely the mouth pieces for Our Heavenly Father and they are just like you and me in most respects. Speak with respect and dignity that is owed to those men, but don't go on and on about them! AND stop with the statues, the pictures, the memorials, etc. We are almost turning Catholic in that sense. ( I know... been there, done that!)

Why not try a talk where not 1 single prophet of the church is mentioned?

Give the Glory, honor, and praise back to Heavenly Father, not to a mortal man who brought the words back to the Earth. To him, we just owe a simple thank you because that is all he would really want.

Sorry to ramble, but these are a few things that have been bugging me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings one and all!

I have been inactive for awhile and I am tip toeing back in the realm of the Church. No, I never lost my testimony, I just put it away for awhile.

Anyway. Something that I have a growing concern about is the rudeness of the church members and over usage of the Prophets of the Church in Sunday talks.

For example- me and my family are preparing to leave one state completely and move to another one. There are some factors here- no job, housing, or even a friend. We are basically taking a huge leap of faith. Anyway, I call the local area church and leave a message.

Later on, I get a phone call from a ward clerk who made me feel like I had to justify my family's move to HIS ward. I clearly stated that we weren't looking for assistance, but we wanted church members to be aware that we would be possibly attending the ward in the near future. He actually said to me, "I don't understand why you are moving to a place where you have no jobs, housing, or anything." It almost felt like he was suggesting that we were getting ready to scam the Church out of a jar of peach jam! (Which is sooo good! But I will go and buy my supply for food storage!)

Then I quickly replied- "are you going sit on your bottom when the good Lord tells you something to do?" The Lord has confirmed that we are to be moving onto this place and that should be good enough. I basically told him that my husband's family always said when a new church member calls you, you say Welcome to the area and the Ward--- How may I be of assistance.

The rudeness doesn't stop there. It is seen in the halls while classes are going on, Sacrament being passed. The worst thing I have EVER seen is a child playing a Gameboy in Sacrament meetings. These actions have been witnessed time and time again. But when you witness something inappropriate and you want to bring it to the attention of the person, you get labels and people start to talk about ya behind your back.

Then along the same lines with the Gameboy, the young men and women are being allowed to get away with anything! For example, I have observed that a bishop will take a young man under his wing and have him be an errand boy for the bishop. This never fails- he thinks he is exempt from the rules of the Church because he has the bishop's permission to run amuck. Once he gets done with whatever, he gets his friends together and then they go to the halls and act like that is their living room and when you tell them to get to class, they get that dumb "deer in the headlights look" and put the act on of what--- I am not doing anything wrong. Bull! You are breathing oxygen outside your classroom!

Maybe I totally misunderstood what you are trying to say in the above comments.

Is it that you feel the clerk was out of line for judging your motives for moving when he really knows nothing about you are your motives. Yes, I think that might be out of place to judge a situation where we only think we know what is really going on. As a matter of fact we shouldn't judge others unless we want the same judgement against us.

Thats a true shame! I must ask which state did you move too? This sounds alot like my ward here. although my ward in Utah was so much more like that, sometimes i think they forget the true meaning of why they are there, sad truley sad!

We are in the process of moving to Kansas.

But I have promised my hubby not to let church members get to me with their offensive attitude.

He tells me that I need to be the Mormon version of Scarlet O'Hara. Be nice to everyone (and genuine), but let them have it with both barrels when they really tick you off. Because THEY are the ones who are keeping me from receiving blessings by attending church.

I always thought it would be interesting to go into church with a replica of the green dress made out of curtains and really get them going!! :sparklygrin:

<div class='quotemain'>

Thats a true shame! I must ask which state did you move too? This sounds alot like my ward here. although my ward in Utah was so much more like that, sometimes i think they forget the true meaning of why they are there, sad truley sad!

We are in the process of moving to Kansas.

But I have promised my hubby not to let church members get to me with their offensive attitude.

He tells me that I need to be the Mormon version of Scarlet O'Hara. Be nice to everyone (and genuine), but let them have it with both barrels when they really tick you off. Because THEY are the ones who are keeping me from receiving blessings by attending church.

I always thought it would be interesting to go into church with a replica of the green dress made out of curtains and really get them going!! :sparklygrin:

Well maybe it won't be as you think it will, (I am hoping)

Loved the scarlet O'Harra comments....... ;) Cute!!!!!!

<div class='quotemain'>

Greetings one and all!

Maybe I totally misunderstood what you are trying to say in the above comments.

Is it that you feel the clerk was out of line for judging your motives for moving when he really knows nothing about you are your motives. Yes, I think that might be out of place to judge a situation where we only think we know what is really going on. As a matter of fact we shouldn't judge others unless we want the same judgement against us.

Yes, I do feel that the clerk was WAY out of line for his grilling. It lasted almost an hour! BTW- I get really harsh judgments against me for some of the activities that me and my family participate in because they actually have a true separation of Church and organization. :wacko: Nothing illegal, just strong associations with people that have different beliefs or don't even believe in God at all!

The worst thing I have EVER seen is a child playing a Gameboy in Sacrament meetings.

We have a High Priest in our ward that whips out his laptop and plays video games and surfs the web during the talks.....and he does not hide it...he sits in the front row middle...we love him anyway...that's just his thing, he would give you the shirt off his back.

Are you sure you haven't been going to the RLDS church by mistake? Just kidding! I'm sorry you have had such a rough time in your new ward....remember, we are all Saints trying to grow and become better people together...the ward is the Hospital, everyones sick and everyones a doctor.....!

Then my 2nd topic--

That's near impossible because the church gets all it's revelation through the Prophets...and they sometimes have to be quoted because they are the Lords mouthpiece.

Give the Glory, honor, and praise back to Heavenly Father, not to a mortal man who brought the words back to the Earth.

Personally I thank the Lord that he choose to give us a Prophet in these latter days to guide us...I seriously doubt any of these speakers you talk about are glorifying the Prophets....honoring them perhaps but mostly just quoting them to give meaning to a subject. I believe we do have to honor and praise our Prophets for they are choosen by God to lead his church....remember Joseph Smith sealed his testimony in his blood....I for one am grateful he lived and was the one whom God directed to restore the church to the Earth.!

To him, we just owe a simple thank you because that is all he would really want.

Yes we do....but we can't forget their teachings, for they are of the Lord!

The worst thing I have EVER seen is a child playing a Gameboy in Sacrament meetings.

We have a High Priest in our ward that whips out his laptop and plays video games and surfs the web during the talks.....and he does not hide it...he sits in the front row middle...we love him anyway...that's just his thing, he would give you the shirt off his back.

<_<Sorry, but we can play video games at home. My husband and a friend of ours makes up Calculus problems for each other to try and solve. That at least is a little more tolerable.

Are you sure you haven't been going to the RLDS church by mistake? Just kidding! I'm sorry you have had such a rough time in your new ward....remember, we are all Saints trying to grow and become better people together...the ward is the Hospital, everyones sick and everyones a doctor.....!

I met an RLDS person once... they like their chicken fried, too! Just they like to organize the chicken according to the tastiest of the pieces! (Sorry- I know sooo bad! I like Scottish sheep jokes, too!)

Then my 2nd topic--

That's near impossible because the church gets all it's revelation through the Prophets...and they sometimes have to be quoted because they are the Lords mouthpiece.

Give the Glory, honor, and praise back to Heavenly Father, not to a mortal man who brought the words back to the Earth.

Personally I thank the Lord that he choose to give us a Prophet in these latter days to guide us...I seriously doubt any of these speakers you talk about are glorifying the Prophets....honoring them perhaps but mostly just quoting them to give meaning to a subject. I believe we do have to honor and praise our Prophets for they are choosen by God to lead his church....remember Joseph Smith sealed his testimony in his blood....I for one am grateful he lived and was the one whom God directed to restore the church to the Earth.!

No, what I have seen it out and out putting the Prophets on the equal level of God. I wanted to stand up and ring those people's chimes! Christ sealed our way back to him with his blood.. to me that is more important. What I am saying is don't forget that this The Church of Jesus Christ NOT Joseph Smith. I appreciate what the prophets have gone through for me to have every advantage to complain about things within the church or to simply feel blessed by their willingness to serve in that capacity.

To him, we just owe a simple thank you because that is all he would really want.

Yes we do....but we can't forget their teachings, for they are of the Lord!

Didn't say forget the teachings.. just don't put the Prophets above Heavenly Father in the food chain. I mean if I said that... we won't have the Doctrine and Covenants.

FWIW, it's pretty hard to not ever quote "prophets" instead of "god", when "god" had never really said ANYTHING, EVER. Quotes in a book that is thousands of years old doesn't really count, so all you have to rely on is what some people think happened, a really long time ago, mostly before they were even born. Most of the counts of Jesus' tales were originally penned decades or centuries after he died.

You get what you pay for, or maybe not.

FWIW, it's pretty hard to not ever quote "prophets" instead of "god", when "god" had never really said ANYTHING, EVER. Quotes in a book that is thousands of years old doesn't really count, so all you have to rely on is what some people think happened, a really long time ago, mostly before they were even born. Most of the counts of Jesus' tales were originally penned decades or centuries after he died.

I can tell this newbie is going to be very entertaing LOL :hmmm:

<div class='quotemain'>

Me, a newb? I've been on this board for 5 years. How about you? In fact, I was on this board before it was this board.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Me, a newb? I've been on this board for 5 years. How about you? In fact, I was on this board before it was this board.

Actually i have been here that long (changed my account dont remember a bat) but i think i have an idea who you are .......................................... :P

Like 6 years ago when this place was yellow? ya i was here! Chat too!

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

That was back when those dastardly anti-pokemons had the run of the place. Now that we are rid of them, do you have anything of substance to add?

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

That was back when those dastardly anti-pokemons had the run of the place. Now that we are rid of them, do you have anything of substance to add?

I can clearly see you don't. it's all a joke to you isn't it? ;)

Sorry About the off topic Sabran it was rude of us. :unsure:

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Stop being rude. It makes baby Jesus cry.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Posted Image

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Posted Image

So, miss smartypants....what is your opinion of the gospels in the Bible that were written decades after his death by persons that never even met him....Which is pretty much all of them. More pictures? That figures. The sand must be warm where you are.

Thanks for the apology, but none needed!

But I do think you are missing the point I am making.

Yes, I have acknowledged that the Prophets are needed to carry Heavenly Fathers' word, but they don't deserve the same adoration as Heavenly Father. I have heard talks where only Heaven Father was spoken about and not ONE mention of a prophet. Those are the talks that give me the most inspiration, not talks about a recollection of a martyrdom. That is history and I can read that online or e gads go to the jail and read the story myself.

My biggest thing is that Joseph, Brigham - Gordon B. Hinckley should not be given the same type of love, adoration, and respect as we do our Heavenly Father, and don't put them as his equal because they are not.

I don't worship Joseph Smith, I worship Heavenly Father.

[

LOL we have one of these guys too but he sits in the lobby

I don't worship Joseph Smith, I worship Heavenly Father.

Quote of the day! :D

I do see what your are saying, And understand you B)

Batt,

Knock it off with the sarcastic attitude.

I don't find it amusing when people start spouting off in that tone of voice via forums or emails.

Personally, I have done more studying on the Bible from not only Church members, but a Jewish Rabbi, a Christian minister, and a Muslim and I have formed my own conclusions that will stay with me because I came to those conclusions on my own.

I, personally have some problems with your statement, but you are entitled to believe how you see fit. However, don't start throwing out timetables and history of the Bible because you might as well be on the History Channel. Those facts and figures really don't mean much in the big picture.

Batt,

Knock it off with the sarcastic attitude.

I don't find it amusing when people start spouting off in that tone of voice via forums or emails.

Personally, I have done more studying on the Bible from not only Church members, but a Jewish Rabbi, a Christian minister, and a Muslim and I have formed my own conclusions that will stay with me because I came to those conclusions on my own.

I, personally have some problems with your statement, but you are entitled to believe how you see fit. However, don't start throwing out timetables and history of the Bible because you might as well be on the History Channel. Those facts and figures really don't mean much in the big picture.

Just ignor him, he loves contraversy and feeds off of it, i realized this so i am not going to feed this troll,

Greetings one and all!

Where are church member's manners and etiquette these days? <<snip>>

I wrote this for another topic, and as I was writing it I realized that it is appropriate for here.

Dr. T

I believe that Christ's torment was more so in the Garden, not on the cross. Emotional, mental and Spiritual torment/agony is infinitely more painful than physical. The physical you can block- the others you can not.

I know, I blocked the pain of physical abuse but I could not block the emotional, mental, verbal abuse that was heaped on me by my ex-husband.

Christ went back into the Garden three times too that night. Willingly went back the second and third times knowing full well the torment and agony He was going to suffer, knowing that each time it was going to get worse. He tells us this in this verse: 18 Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit

By the time He was taken from the Garden, flailed, beaten, i.e. the physical torture, He had the Holy Ghost there to comfort Him as well as other Angels. The same Angels that comforted Him in the Garden. He also had the Holy Ghost to comfort Him as He bore the cross through the streets.

This is where we are taught the true love of Christ. All throughout this, Christ did not condemn His abusers. He did not curse them, He did not whine and complain about them, He did not plead with His Father to bring them to their knees. He pleaded with Father and said: Forgive them for they know not what they do.

So for those people who irk you, who are not as "Mormon" as you think they should be, as "Righteous" as you think they should be, who aren't as "Reverent" as you think they should be, as "Saintly" as you feel they should be - stop and think- What did Jesus DO? He forgave them, and plead with His Father to forgive them too. Can you do less???

Are you really any better than they are? By complaining about their humaness, by finding fault in the human things that they do, by murmering? By being so negative that you chase the Holy Ghost from you? By being so self-righteous? From what I am reading, you really are no better than they are. Can you walk on water?!

[

So for those people who irk you, who are not as "Mormon" as you think they should be, as "Righteous" as you think they should be, who aren't as "Reverent" as you think they should be, as "Saintly" as you feel they should be - stop and think- What did Jesus DO? He forgave them, and plead with His Father to forgive them too. Can you do less???

Are you really any better than they are? By complaining about their humaness, by finding fault in the human things that they do, by murmering? By being so negative that you chase the Holy Ghost from you? By being so self-righteous? From what I am reading, you really are no better than they are. Can you walk on water?!

________________________________________________________________________________

Did I say that I was better than them? No. I am commenting on the fact the members of the Church are showing more and more acts of BLATANT disrespect for our Heavenly Father's house and the members that attend his house for whatever the purpose may be. We as Church members have the right to have an environment that encourages us to listen to what is being said and not distracted too much. Besides, are we not to have higher standards because we are the true church upon the face of the Earth? Aren't we supposed to have higher standards because we are Heavenly Father's children who have accepted the Gospel, participated in the Temple and have gained greater knowledge? Has it not been said from the pulpit of general conference that we are held to a higher standard? (I will produce a source if need be.)

Yes, Jesus would forgive them, but he would also admonish them for their unkindness to their fellow man.

Let me get this straight- I am supposed to let people be rude and disrespectful to me. I am supposed to let members of the church stab me in the back. I am supposed to conform to their standards and I will be a much better person because I allow this to happen? Interesting.

Am I better than them? Wow! I wouldn't know because I don't compare myself to others. What I have stated are experiences that have personally happened to me with interactions with Church members, and as a result of those negative experiences I am now being accused of murmuring. Again interesting.

Self-righteous? Not in the least- Self awareness. I am seeing a trend that manners and reverance don't count anymore. I never claimed to be better than anyone else, but frustrated that people cannot extend the hand of kindness. Again, your claims of me being a disgruntled member of the Church because I am holding them to a higher standard and that standard is tact, concern and care, and just being aware of other people's feelings. Then yes, I will stand in front of my accusers on judgement day for that and that will be a judgement I freely accept as well as the penalties involved.

And yes, I can walk on water. (I am being serious here.)

I am commenting on the fact the members of the Church are showing more and more acts of BLATANT disrespect for our Heavenly Father's house and the members that attend his house for whatever the purpose may be. We as Church members have the right to have an environment that encourages us to listen to what is being said and not distracted too much. Besides, are we not to have higher standards because we are the true church upon the face of the Earth? Aren't we supposed to have higher standards because we are Heavenly Father's children who have accepted the Gospel, participated in the Temple and have gained greater knowledge? Has it not been said from the pulpit of general conference that we are held to a higher standard? (I will produce a source if need be.)

You're right, of course. My ward is pretty strict on behavior in Sacrament. The Bishop has the Aaronic Priesthood close the doors and stand by them during the blessing and passing of Sacrament; you don't come in at that time. If you're that late, you wait in the foyer and they'll bring it out to you. He doesn't like distractions at that time. We are told to turn off cell phones or at least silence the ringers, and there are no video games or other electronics allowed. I appreciate the reverence my ward shows for the Sacrament.

Yes, Jesus would forgive them, but he would also admonish them for their unkindness to their fellow man.

Let me get this straight- I am supposed to let people be rude and disrespectful to me. I am supposed to let members of the church stab me in the back. I am supposed to conform to their standards and I will be a much better person because I allow this to happen? Interesting.

Let me tell you a funny story. A few years ago we had a set missionaries who were both a bit immature. One Sunday they sat in Sacrament playing and scuffling, getting quite loud and distracting. My best buddy takes reverence in Church very seriously. He went over and told them to quiet down and behave like adults. One told him to mind his own business, at which point my friend offered to take him outside and straighten the matter out. That calmed them down, and I got a good chuckle out of it. It's just that my friend takes behavior like that as disrespect to God, and he won't tolerate it.

And yes, I can walk on water. (I am being serious here.)

I want you at our next ward pool party! :lol::lol: