Book of Mormon Commentaries?

phi39

I'm attempting (again) to read the BoM and D/C straight through before the end of January when I'll be taking a class that will cover Mormonism. I was wondering where I could find any verse by verse commentaries, either online or in print. I have a triplet edition with footnotes that correspond to a Topical Guide, but I don't have that.

I would appreciate any pointers.

It's not completely verse-by-verse, but the "Church Educational System" (a system of supplemental religious education courses for Mormon university students) publishes a study manual, which you can see online here.

The Church's adult Sunday School classes focus on the Book of Mormon every four years (the other three years are spent on the Old and New Testaments and another book of Mormon scripture called the Doctrine and Covenants). They use a separate set of lesson manuals from the CES, and you can see the one for the Book of Mormon online here.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I would *highly* recommend Brant Gardner's commentary on The Book of Mormon. It is a bit spendy, but there is no other commentary that comes even close to it in depth and scholarship. You can always try it out by buying the first book and going from there. Being a commentary geek, I can guarantee that you'll learn more from this than other commentary around.

FAIR LDS Bookstore - Second Witness: Analytical & Contextual Commentary on the Book of Mormon 6 Vol. Set

Edited by livy111us

I second what livy111us said.

There are many BoM commentaries but Gardner's sets a new standard. I recently bought the collection to prepare for SS class next year. The guy from Benchmark, where I buy most my LDS books in SLC said that Gardner makes the other authors look lazy by comparison.