The Spirit Of A Man

mdb

How does the LDS contend with such verses as Zech 12:1 that says a man's spirit is formed within him?

This verse seems to point to the creation of the spirit rather than a pre-existent spirit placed in a man at birth.

The burden of the word of the Lord against Israel. Thus says the Lord, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him: (Zech 12:1)

The Hebrew word for form means: form, to be formed or to be created, fashion, frame, potter, make.

Okay, I'll give you some options:

God, through the person who wrote that scripture, was and is basically saying that He (God) forms the spirit within man... which can either mean:

God forms the spirit inside man (or man's physical body)

or

:hmmm: what else???

From what you said I think you may be thinking that God forms the spirit inside man either:

while man's spirit was inside man (or man's physical body)

or

before man's spirit was inside man (or man's physical body)

And personally I think "before" makes a lot more sense.

And btw, here are some scriptures which may help you.

I think our (LDS) Topical Guide is a very good resource. :)

• 2 weeks later...

had a friend say that the unborn child within the womb gets it's spirit during the last tri-mester of a pregnancy..(any help to this qestion??)

The human body is a temple. Regardless of when a spirit inhabits it does not reflect well on those that desecrate temples.

The Traveler