Tattoos and the Church

jiujitsu47

Original Poster I have to say that generally speaking most religions are against any kind of human modification. Besides the two earring slots for women in their ears human modification is always unwanted.

Sunni Muslims, Jews, and some Christian groups oppose tattoos. However, most Christians don't take issue with them.

The first is that human modification is abhorrant to the site of God.

Really? When did He say that? Leviticus 19:28 says this: "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord." Last time I checked, though, we Christians don't follow the Law of Moses. If we did, we would indeed not be allowed to have tattoos, but we also couldn't eat shrimp or pork chops.

He gave you this body for you to take care of and to keep healthy. Human modification through tattoos and piercings largely goes against caring for ones body.

Eating sugar largely goes against caring for one's body.

Your body is a temple, so keep it untouched and unpricked.

We decorate our temples. We paint them with (permanent) murals, and put ornaments like the Angel Moroni on top of them. Just sayin' ;)

Just to repeat what I said earlier, I find tattoos unattractive, for the most part, but don't think it's a "sin."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Original Poster I have to say that generally speaking most religions are against any kind of human modification. Besides the two earring slots for women in their ears human modification is always unwanted.

I would say that there are various reasons for this. The first is that human modification is abhorrant to the site of God. He gave you this body for you to take care of and to keep healthy. Human modification through tattoos and piercings largely goes against caring for ones body. Your body is a temple, so keep it untouched and unpricked.

Hmmm,

When someone purports to know what God thinks and feels, you can be pretty sure that they are just telling you how THEY think and feel... Besides which I doubt you really believe what you are saying. I'd guess that you believe that some body modifications are just fine (mascara, pierced ears, exercise induced muscular hypertrophy) but when someone has a modification you personally don't like, then you claim that it is God who does't like it

Hmmm,

When someone purports to know what God thinks and feels, you can be pretty sure that they are just telling you how THEY think and feel... Besides which I doubt you really believe what you are saying. I'd guess that you believe that some body modifications are just fine (mascara, pierced ears, exercise induced muscular hypertrophy) but when someone has a modification you personally don't like, then you claim that it is God who does't like it

My statement pertains to the general rulings in most religions. Orthodox Judaism does not allow piercings nor tattoos. Catholicism frowns upon it as well. I do not have the LDS statement but I will have to say that they view it the same way. This has nothing to do with taste but with the general acceptance that some body modifications are unwarranted and unneeded.

For instance, in the Islamic faith it is frowned upon for women to put on any type of makeup. Does that mean that all Muslim women do not wear makeup? Of course not. But for someone to have such a condescending and patronizing response I would expect some sources or facts at hand.

Do yourself the benefit of being informed, or better informed when it pertains to specific subject matter. We can save ourselves from ignorance, God gave us that gift.

Sunni Muslims, Jews, and some Christian groups oppose tattoos. However, most Christians don't take issue with them.

Really? When did He say that? Leviticus 19:28 says this: "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord." Last time I checked, though, we Christians don't follow the Law of Moses. If we did, we would indeed not be allowed to have tattoos, but we also couldn't eat shrimp or pork chops.

Eating sugar largely goes against caring for one's body.

We decorate our temples. We paint them with (permanent) murals, and put ornaments like the Angel Moroni on top of them. Just sayin' ;)

Just to repeat what I said earlier, I find tattoos unattractive, for the most part, but don't think it's a "sin."

Tattoos aren't necessarily a sin, as such I never said they were.

The statement has nothing to do with following the law of Moses. There are general principles found within the OT that all Christians hope to observe and follow. Jesus himself had something to say about that as I'm sure you know.

See also

Latter-day prophets strongly discourage the tattooing of the body. Those who disregard this counsel show a lack of respect for themselves and for God. The Apostle Paul taught of the significance of our bodies and the danger of purposefully defiling them: "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" (1 Corinthians 3:16–17).

My statement pertains to the general rulings in most religions. Orthodox Judaism does not allow piercings nor tattoos. Catholicism frowns upon it as well. I do not have the LDS statement but I will have to say that they view it the same way. This has nothing to do with taste but with the general acceptance that some body modifications are unwarranted and unneeded.

No - you pretended to know what God thinks and feels. You do not.

For instance, in the Islamic faith it is frowned upon for women to put on any type of makeup. Does that mean that all Muslim women do not wear makeup? Of course not. But for someone to have such a condescending and patronizing response I would expect some sources or facts at hand.

Do yourself the benefit of being informed, or better informed when it pertains to specific subject matter. We can save ourselves from ignorance, God gave us that gift.

Now you are pretending that I am unknowledgeable while you are knowledgeable.

Do you really think anyone will fall for the pretense?