mormonism and self harm?

Guest fridderz

Guest BarcodeIIIlll

Im an inactive mormon, i have self harm issues, just been discharged from an institution. anyway, what is said in the church about self harm?

because to be honest, it upsets me if its a sin because its not my fault or anyone elses fault if they have mental health issues. :(

thanks.

The Church's position on self harm is that those who engage in it should get help because it isn't healthy for people to hurt themselves.

Whether it qualifies as a sin or not is something I don't feel qualified to speculate on.

If it were, however, I think the doctrines around the Atonement come into play in saying the the Savior knows the struggles of each individual and would probably look mercifully on someone who was self-harming because of mental health issues as opposed to someone who is self-harming for recreation. In other words, it isn't about whether or not it's a sin, but whether or not you can make use of the Atonement to overcome your weakness (along with professional help, of course).

Im an inactive mormon, i have self harm issues, just been discharged from an institution. anyway, what is said in the church about self harm?

I suspect it's not in line with the idea that one's body is a temple and a gift. One can also say the same about overindulging in Twinkies. So while it's not good, I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions on how not good it is ranging from, "Don't worry about it" to "Talk to your Bishop".

because to be honest, it upsets me if its a sin because its not my fault or anyone elses fault if they have mental health issues. :(

thanks.

You may find this reading informative: Mental Illness (It provides some insight into how the Church looks at mental illness).

Primarily we'll be judged based on our ability and knowledge. If it was within your power to not so something you'll be held accountable for it. If because of mental illness your ability to refrain from something is compromised during judgement that'll be taken into account. Ultimately God will be the judge on if, given any limitations of knowledge and mental illness you possess, you did what you could.

thanks.

I wouldn't worry about "sin" or "not sin" in this case. What you have is an emotional health issue, and you need to continue seeing a counselor about this, work on feeling better about yourself, and address the underlying issues. It's obviously not healthy to harm yourself, and God wants you to be happy and healthy, but He is not judging you because you have this problem. He just wants you to heal and find peace.

Hang in there! ;)

HEP

As someone who did this some decades ago, I advise you to seek help, both spiritually and with a qualified doctor. It's not good and any feel-good benefits you might get are merely temporal. No, it's not your fault for mental health issues (woefully misunderstood among culture) but there's still no excuse not to seek help. This is covered by the Atonement!

Edited by NadiaStar
TO FIX A MEANING!

As someone who did this some decades ago, I advise you to seek help, both spiritually and with a qualified doctor. It's not good and any feel-good benefits you might get are merely temporal. No, it's NOT your fault for mental health issues (woefully misunderstood among culture) but there's still no excuse not to seek help. This is covered by the Atonement!

I believe that is a typo on fault so corrected with bold. :)

I wouldn't worry about "sin" or "not sin" in this case. What you have is an emotional health issue, and you need to continue seeing a counselor about this, work on feeling better about yourself, and address the underlying issues. It's obviously not healthy to harm yourself, and God wants you to be happy and healthy, but He is not judging you because you have this problem. He just wants you to heal and find peace.

Hang in there! ;)

HEP

I really love this post. I have bipolar disorder and depression and I have cut myself in the past and tried twice to commit suicide. I have asked for and received referrals to mental health professionals from my bishop in the past. Doing so did not keep me out of the temple, so I feel pretty safe in saying that the Church does not apparently consider having mental or emotional health issues to be a sin.

Now if you know you have these issues and just don't care to get help, then that might fall into a grey area that I don't care to speculate on. Because really, if you have mental or emotional health issues, that can affect your ability to truly recognize your need for help to begin with. But it doesn't sound like that is the case for you, as you've already been receiving help.

Continue to get help, counsel with you bishop and recognize that having these problems is something you were born with and just having mental or emotional issues is not a sin any more than being born with one arm or with autism is a sin. And yes, you will probably slip up from time to time, but even people without these disorders make mistakes and sin, so you're no worse off than them! That's what repentance is all about. :)

To the original poster, please go out and seek help for yourself. God wants you to be healthy and in charge of your own physical performance. Don't let this situation slide and not get help.

Perhaps contact organizations anonymously first if you're a bit apprehensive about doing this.

Good luck and God Bless.

Get back to church. I know how hard it is to go back when you've been inactive for awhile, but the Church can help you. Don't be ashamed to talk to your Bishop about what has been going on in your life (but if you don't want other members to know about your incarceration, then they don't need to know; it's none of their business). The Church can be a great source of support to you if you accept it.