A Little Help Needed

lds_mormon

I have been carrying on some debates with other "traditional Christians" and one of the things they like to do is discredit the Book of Mormon by pointing out its logical errors. For the most part, I am doing a great job at defending it, but one thing I'm not too sure on how to defend it is their claim that only a handful of people came to the American continent, and within 30 years, there were two large civilizations at war with one another, the Nephites and Lamanites.

I am a little rusty with the Book of Mormon, I don't study it as much as I'd like, so any advice on how to answer this would be greatly appreciated.

I have been carrying on some debates with other "traditional Christians" and one of the things they like to do is discredit the Book of Mormon by pointing out its logical errors. For the most part, I am doing a great job at defending it, but one thing I'm not too sure on how to defend it is their claim that only a handful of people came to the American continent, and within 30 years, there were two large civilizations at war with one another, the Nephites and Lamanites.

I am a little rusty with the Book of Mormon, I don't study it as much as I'd like, so any advice on how to answer this would be greatly appreciated.

Pray about it, and research that issue.

There was a lot of missionary work happining aswell remember, and conversion ment immigrating, so there did become a great number in one area.

Usually Jeff Linsday has awsome answers!

http://www.jefflindsay.com

Good luck!!

I am sure someone will help you better than I will.

This is general ignorance of scriptures. When the ancient Hebrews (first temple era and before) talked about moving their house hold often it involved a lot more than the characters named as family members. For example Abraham moved his house hold to the promised land and then took from among his servants an army of 300 men to save Lot and he has had how many children?

The wars between the Nephites and Lamanites as large civilizations did not occur within 30 years of Lehi arriving in the Americas. It is obvious that these so-called traditional Christians are nothing more than religious bigots that have never read the Book of Mormon are checked out any of the references they use to criticize it. You are wasting your time.

Our purpose is to gathered scattered Israel from among the gentiles. If your traditional Christians are not interested in the prophesies concerning the gathering of Israel there will be no more gained among them than Jesus was able to gather from among the Pharisees and Scribes that crucified him. It may be time for you to become familar with scripture. I wish you well.

The Traveler

Nowhere does the Book of Mormon say there weren't people already living in the Promised Land when Lehi and family arrived.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But I'm not real up on the Book of Mormon. My specialty lies more with the Bible. I have set off to start reading the Book of Mormon all the way through again. Its been a while.

Nowhere does the Book of Mormon say there weren't people already living in the Promised Land when Lehi and family arrived.

well it kinda does...when the people find the other records and the land of desolation as they call it, where there was a horrable war...let me look it up...in mosiah 21 the jaredite plates...indicating there were ppl there but of course they were all dead.

but i honestly think that if nephi or someone would have meet other ppl in the wilderness he would have mentioned it...but thats just my thinking

Guest ApostleKnight

That's certainly one way to look at it. My point is that just because the Jaredites wiped themselves out doesn't mean the Lord didn't lead other peoples to the Americas who may have eventually mingled with and been incorporated by the Nephite/Lamanite nations. I mean I don't believe these other peoples met Lehi and family on the beach as their boat landed, holding signs saying "Welcome to the Promised Land." They may have mingled with them much later.

As AK has said there is no where in the Book of Mormon that says that Lehi and his family were the only ones in the New World. There was only one person left and found by the people in the land of Zarahemla.

I am not so sure that there were not many people living on the land we know as the Americas when Lehi arrived.

I guess I would ask for someone to prove that there were not others here.

Ben Raines

I think we can be quite sure that there were many peoples encountered both to the land Bountiful (where the ship was built) and in the Americas. There are records among the Chinese of a journey to the Americas as well as evidence in the Americas of Chinese influence. The records that come to us through the golden plates is a very short history giving a "religious" acount. There are some hints in the Book of Mormon of other people encountered. One theory is that the Laminites mingled with a civilization of people that caused them to have a darker skin.

The Traveler