The garments.

Hala401

Hala, isn't there some kind of analog to the LDS temple garment in Islam? I remember seeing an Ottoman Empire exhibit at BYU some years ago, and one of the displays included a couple of shirts with prayers inscribed on them which were worn by soldiers under the armor and supposed to give some kind of spiritual protection.

Hala, isn't there some kind of analog to the LDS temple garment in Islam? I remember seeing an Ottoman Empire exhibit at BYU some years ago, and one of the displays included a couple of shirts with prayers inscribed on them which were worn by soldiers under the armor and supposed to give some kind of spiritual protection.

Please keep in mind that I am not a non Muslim professor of Islamic studies, I was one for 7 years, so I have my own bias. I know more about the culture than I do the fine points of the belief system. I started out as very conservatiive Sunni and was Shia when I started to work with the Sister Missionaries.

There are not significant undergarments for the Women, and I do not think there are for the men. However, with the men, the area between the knees and the waist is not for public exposure. It is immodest.

For the woman, the area above the lower ankles is forbidden to display. Depending upon the particular culture and the husband of the woman, the husband may require the wife to cover her hands with gloves and her neck and hair. The Niqab covers everything but eyes. When I first started out, even one hair sticking out from under my scarf and one of the older women would fix it and correct me.

I have been to Masjids where I could walk in with black Abaya, and proper Head scarf, and then some women would put "Prayer Garments" over all that. Wallah! It got very hot and I abandoned the additional garments. As far as special garments as in the LDS context, I do not know of them.

If you are within driving distance of Provo, UT, there is a beautiful display at the BYU museum of Shia and Persian Art. You may find this enjoyable, and I promise that viewing this art will not convert you to Islam. :) There was not examples of Muslim clothing, either Sunni or Shia and I thought that would have been quite educational and enjoyable.

The Muslim Prayers are quite involved. The following Youtube vid is for Magrib prayer only. There are 4 other prayes during the day. Enjoy.