What's happening to me?

autismmum

Hi

Over the last couple of days when I am praying or reading my Book of Mormon it is making me cry:confused:

I am not feeling sad with it infact I am probably the calmest and happiest I have been for ages ...but I just keep crying...just tears falling not any sadness...it's hard to explain

It should be noted that the crying can be a side effect of spiritual communication but shouldn't be confused with the spiritual communication itself. That is to say, feeling the spirit can make you cry, crying doesn't necessarily mean you are feeling the spirit. I cried at the end of Pan's Labyrinth, it was because the ending of the movie was sad, not because I was being overcome by the spirit.

What can happen is when we are touch with the spirit we can become really sensitive and when we aren't use to it that can result in a bit of a roller coaster ride of emotions. And remember, crying doesn't just happen for sadness, tears are also associated with feelings of joy. With that in mind I mention some of the fruits of the spirit:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

To add on to Dravin, our communication with the spirit will feel a bit different to everybody. Some describe it as a burning, some a tingling or a chill, some as an enlightenment of the mind. It is something that is very difficult to describe with words, and the spirit communicates with each of us in a way which works best for that individual.

Learning to recognize and respond to those spiritual communications is a life-long process. Sometimes we will feel very intune with the spirit, and we will be flooded with feelings of peace, joy, and personal revelation. Other times, it will be very difficult to discern his whisperings.

There are many ways in which the Spirit can communicate with us. Sometimes it can fill us with such great joy and peace that tears come to us. For the prophet Ammon, such joy made him fall unconscious on several occasions, simply because the Spirit's power overwhelmed him. Some speak in tongues, others prophecy, and some see angels. So works the Spirit of God.

When our joy is full, we tend to get emotional. This happens to me also, to the point of tears. Even the Savior, when He visited the Nephites, experienced this.

3 Nephi 17

18 And it came to pass that when Jesus had made an end of praying unto the Father, he arose; but so great was the joy of the multitude that they were overcome.

19 And it came to pass that Jesus spake unto them, and bade them arise.

20 And they arose from the earth, and he said unto them: Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full.

21 And when he had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them.

22 And when he had done this he wept again;

23 And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones.

24 And as they looked to behold they cast their eyes towards heaven, and they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven as it were in the midst of fire; and they came down and encircled those little ones about, and they were encircled about with fire; and the angels did minister unto them.

You could be a little like me. I can be touched by anything sweet or sad and the waterworks start. With me, it has nothing to do with not being used to feeling the spirit. That's just how my body reacts when I do. I sometimes wish I could feel the warm fuzzies instead of everyone wondering what is wrong with me...but I also think that me feeling things so sensitively could be a gift in other ways that I don't fully understand. Like incredible faith. Often I feel like I don't just have faith, but instead that I KNOW cetain things for myself and don't have any doubts. I can however start crying over other things besides feeling the spirit so sometimes it's hard to know which it is. I also have huge empathy, so I could often cry for someone going through something hard even if they aren't when they tell me about it. I am especially good at crying when I am over-joyed. Not excited and happy in an active way, but happy in an internal way...waterworks. Sometimes it drives me nuts, but I just try to live with it. The hard part is being in public -- and church meetings when I really feel something. I must look like a wreck but feel fine.

That sounds a lot like me to be fair. It's a strange feeling when you don't even know what you are crying about. Oddly after thinking about it whenever I have been on holidays etc and visited cathedrals and churches I got the same teary thing going on. I am worried now about what I am going to be like when I do get baptised! I will probably look like a total nutter crying lol....how embarrassing