If you asked a specific question to the Prophet even in a non-formal setting about drinking cola and he said refrain from it... listen to it. Worse case scenario is you dont drink soda.

They are men, and as such (as others have stated here) have personally opinions. And they know what their personal opinions are and would make that clear. We also have our own brains. If you have to question if it is opinion or doctrine, maybe you should treat it as doctrine.

I once had dinner with President Hinkley and Elder Scott in Venezuela with my father and the Mission president. A very small setting. I remember standing with Sister Scott at the table with the buffet set out, she said to me "you should really try the ham", I looked at Elder Scotts plate and he had the ham on it, Presiden Hinkly had his ham. You see our mission rule was NO PORK unless it was imported. I then looked at my mission president who was standing nearby and asked him if it was okay, he didnt hesitate in saying in his booming military voice "What do you think Elder? Of course not"

Could I not have had it? If the pork was safe enough for President Hinkley, why not me? I tell this story because Just because the Prophet was eating the pork, doesnt mean that it was okay for me. His preference was to eat the pork. My RULE was to not eat the pork. Turn that around to the Prophet saying (hypothetically) he prefers luke warm water over ice cold... does that mean we all drink ice cold water? We use our own judgement, but I dont see how you can go terribly wrong if you listened to even preferences.

Well, what might you think about men who don't care for their principles and take preference to their own? They don't act as leaders or even prophets. But they should. I simply hope the (non-imported) porc once tasted him well, and as well I hope he might have been thinking about his default right now in his Celestial (?) presence. Men make faults. This is what Joseph Smith once told us.

Edited by Arnolt

...You see our mission rule was NO PORK unless it was imported. I then looked at my mission president who was standing nearby and asked him if it was okay, he didnt hesitate in saying in his booming military voice "What do you think Elder? Of course not"...

Did the mission president give a reason for the rule? Were there health problems if pork was eaten?

M.

Did the mission president give a reason for the rule? Were there health problems if pork was eaten?

M.

Considering imported pork was considered acceptable and this comment:

If the pork was safe enough for President Hinkley, why not me?

My guess is it was a health concern with the local pork. I guess we'll know for sure when EarlJibbs swings around the thread again.

Edited by Dravin

M.

You got it. The local pork was against the rules for health reasons, sorry. So was a lot of other foods. I could have been more clear. ^_^

If I were having lunch with the Pope and ordered a coke, he would say, "You're not having beer?" Just sayin...:D

Posted Image

As far as I can see it seems to be a German "Weissbier" from Bavaria. Half a liter. Perhaps "Paulaner" or "Franziskaner" white "wheat-" beer. Im rather sure it is, because normal beer from Northern Germany is more clearer or transparent. PROST! And, of course, it is a special glass for that kind of beer.

PS ... I am not sure if he really drank this beer... but if he did I wouldn't really wonder (in spite of all the things they do...). Haleluja.

Edited by Arnolt

As far as I can see it seems to be a German "Weissbier" from Bavaria. Half a liter. Perhaps "Paulaner" or "Franziskaner" white "wheat-" beer. Im rather sure it is, because normal beer from Northern Germany is more clearer or transparent. PROST! And, of course, it is a special glass for that kind of beer.

PS ... I am not sure if he really drank this beer... but if he did I wouldn't really wonder (in spite of all the things they do...). Haleluja.

You are correct that is is a "wheat-beer", Weissbeir. I don't know what label it is but that is a popular brew in Bavaria. I forget what size that is, but I've had a few when I've been in Bavaria and it does sneak up on ya'! ;) That stuff is like drinking a freshly baked loaf of bread. Yum!

p.s., I'm sure he drank it! Weissbier seems to be a favorite...

Posted Image

Na dann, "oans, zwoa, drei... g'suffa! But remember, it's not only like a fresh loaf of bread but more a drink that makes one losing his religion (I'm not a Southern man, but liked this song).

PS Yea, he drank it. I also think he did. But I wouldn't like sharing their session and not have a beer with them. On the other hand they might dislike me as well... they were drinking "Malteser" wheat-beer. Have never tasted it. I know "Astra", provided here in Hamburg (said not that I'd never drink beer...). Hamburg is the best place and the Northern beers are the bests. (Any Bavarian here...?).

This means not that I recomment anyone to start drinking beer. Even if there exists some wide social acceptance for beer in Germany, it's not an innocuous substance.

Edited by Arnolt

Na dann, "oans, zwoa, drei... g'suffa! But remember, it's not only like a fresh loaf of bread but more a drink that makes one losing his religion (I'm not a Southern man, but liked this song). Let him drink, but be aware of his words and doings of that "church" now and (especially) in the past. You might guess what I mean.

That church that you speak of is Desertknight's church, so it migiht be helpful to be respectful of other's faiths.

M.

That church that you speak of is Desertknight's church, so it migiht be helpful to be respectful of other's faiths.

M.

Je comprends. Excuse-moi et salutations à la terre des nos aieux.... l'Allemand terrible. :mad:

Edited by Arnolt

Oh, for duh. :doh: I just noticed on your profile that you are German. I'm "preaching to the choir" about Weissbeir. I don't understand that last part, though.

Well, it should be understood as a warning for young people not to start drinking. Alcohol is a heavy substance confirmed by the WHO as one of the most strongest drugs that makes people dependent. Scale: Only Heroin makes more dependent. Smoking cigarettes, tabac, for instance, is quite lower in this scale and easier to cure. I know so many ones who will hardly ever quit drinking, because they can not (and this doesn't mean they have been drinking whisky, but beer! It's only a question of the quantity, and beer contains approx. 4,7 to 5,5 % pure alcohol). It's an interdependence or correlation between the alcohol and the nervous system and not only a psychological problem. Once you've been kept by it and it's gone too far, it rules you and might never lose you. Especially young people should be aware of these facts.

Edited by Arnolt

Catholicism teaches an infallible Pope, yet few Catholics seem to believe it;

Mormonism teaches a fallible prophet, yet few Latter-day Saints seem to believe it

I can't speak for Mormons, but I think that many Catholics are simply poorly catechised (religious instruction) as to what infallibility is. It has nothing to do with being a prophet, having direct feed-back from God on issues, or the pope being an impeccable person. Every Catholic, (with one exception), from popes to parishioners, is and has been a sinner, and imperfect in their holiness. My Church will also always have "cafeteria" Catholics as well, who pick and choose what they wish to adhere to and believe, as the call to holiness is a tough and uncomfortable road. We all want it our way, especially man in the modern and post-modern age.

• 2 months later...

When the Prophet is not addressing the Latter-Day Saints, such as conference, is everything he says still considered doctrine? Let's pretend I'm having lunch with the Prophet. I ask him if drinking Cola violates the Word of Wisdom. He says that he does not drink alcohol, coffee or tea and also refrains from Cola products. Would this be his personal opinion or would it constitute as doctrine?

Secondly, is the Prophet the most righteous man on earth? If this is true, that makes him the prime example of obedience and humility. In which case, I should be striving to live by his example and adopt ALL that he preaches (says) and lives by (Do's & Don'ts)?

Unless he indicates that it was revelation for you.... then generally no its not scripture.

That being said... it's probably a very very good idea to heed what he says outside of revelation as they (the prophets) have probably had the most experience in knowing the will of God.