Some people believe some are gullable in this news article

bcguy

That is probably the most likely cause. Its berry season here in bc. It is late by 2-3 weeks. So, time to pick or buy some blueberries.

Now, there was the story of the elephant statue that drinked milk and east Indians believed it. But the reality was, it was capillary action of the statue that pulled up the milk which pooled on the surface it was sitting.

Okay, wait up.

Marian devotion among Catholics is a big thing. You would have a lot of Mormons flocking to the Temple too if somebody mentions Moroni is bleeding so they can see it for themselves. Well, if you can see it from that high.

Catholics think we, Mormons, are so gullible for believing Joseph Smith's vision. So yes, it's a matter of which side you put your faith on.

I remember when I was a little kid - about 7 or so. We hold the Feast of the Santo Nino (baby Jesus) every January. It's quite a Mardi Gras kind of event with parades and such. That year, the dust on one of the lighted store signs formed the image of the Santo Nino. Of course, it was just coincidence, but flocks of people in prayer lasted for over a week after that! It was quite awesome.

There are quite a number of Marian Miracles that are documented authentic by the Catholic Church. The three most prominent are the appearances of Mary in Fatima, Portugal, Guadalupe, Mexico, and Lourdes, France. Because of this, people are hopeful to see another miracle. So yes, you see some red stuff on a statue that you can't explain, you're probably going to call the neighbors.

What usually happens is - it gives people renewed fervor in prayer and repentance. So, because of this, I don't just dismiss this as a result of highly gullible people. It is a result of a people devoted to their faith.

Okay, wait up.

Marian devotion among Catholics is a big thing. You would have a lot of Mormons flocking to the Temple too if somebody mentions Moroni is bleeding so they can see it for themselves. Well, if you can see it from that high.

Honestly I don't think they would, at least I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect most of those I know well to do so either. I could see some curiosity about what it is that supposedly making him look like he's bleeding but I wouldn't expect them to believe the Moroni statue is bleeding (to be fair who knows how many stopped by the statue of Mary with the same thought). It's just not really part of our religious tradition. Which leads us to the heart of your point, it's not gullibility it's just it's part of their religious tradition. As you point out we LDS have our own religious traditions that we accept such as patriarchal blessings or inspired mission calls that others could easily roll their eyes at and declare, "How gullible."

Edited by Dravin

Honestly I don't think they would, at least I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect most of those I know well to do so either. I could see some curiosity about what it is that supposedly making him look like he's bleeding but I wouldn't expect them to believe the Moroni statue is bleeding (to be fair who knows how many stopped by the statue of Mary with the same thought). It's just not really part of our religious tradition. Which leads us to the heart of your point, it's not gullibility it's just it's part of their religious tradition. As you point out we LDS have our own religious traditions that we accept such as patriarchal blessings or inspired mission calls that others could easily roll their eyes at and declare, "How gullible."

On the bolded part. All I was trying to say is that a lot of people will flock to the statue out of curiousity. That is the same as with the Marian "miracles" like mentioned in the OP. The Catholic Church has a strict process to determine a true miracle. All Catholics know this - or if they don't, they should. Therefore, Catholics do not just accept anything a miracle at face value. But because it is possible in the Catholic Church to have that kind of a miracle, they hold a hope that this might be one of them - of course they know it has to go through the process first. The MAIN STORY about this "miracle" that the news and non-Catholics are not going to focus on is that - these events becomes a call for devotion, regardless of its authenticity. And that's the sad thing when I hear people call them gullible... they just don't understand it.