Source reference needed for modern application of WoW

grauchy123

I'm looking the actual source reference for the modern application of the Word of Wisdom. i.e. No Tobacco, Coffee, Tea, Alcohol.

D&C 89 only specifically prohibits Tobacco, Hot Drinks, and "Strong Drink" (While making allowance for "Mild Drink"). I can find many many references in conference talks discussing prohibition of Coffee, Tea, Alcohol. The GAs in these cases usually just refer to "Modern Day Revelation" but they fail to ever cite the primary source. Sometimes they also incorrectly imply that D&C 89 covers these issues specifically.

The primary source is the one I'm looking for help locating. Which prophet received this revelation and when? I'd really like to read it and be able to cite it as a source reference.

Thank you.

I'm looking the actual source reference for the modern application of the Word of Wisdom. i.e. No Tobacco, Coffee, Tea, Alcohol.

D&C 89 only specifically prohibits Tobacco, Hot Drinks, and "Strong Drink" (While making allowance for "Mild Drink"). I can find many many references in conference talks discussing prohibition of Coffee, Tea, Alcohol. The GAs in these cases usually just refer to "Modern Day Revelation" but they fail to ever cite the primary source. Sometimes they also incorrectly imply that D&C 89 covers these issues specifically.

The primary source is the one I'm looking for help locating. Which prophet received this revelation and when? I'd really like to read it and be able to cite it as a source reference.

Thank you.

Joseph Smith himself clarified that hot drinks meant coffee and tea: Word of Wisdom, Caffeine and Hypocrisy « FAIR (Look at footnote 1). Concerning the break down of strong drinks to mean all alcoholic beverages I don't have anything for you.

Thanks for the good source reference for Coffee/Tea

Do we have a citable source for *all* alcoholic beverages as is the modern application?

I don't want this thread to become a discussion of the merits of WoW or the and/if/but/how's I'm just looking for a primary source reference.

Thanks.

Allow me to preface my comments with this scripture from D&C 58:26-29

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

29 But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.

Now, let's discuss the Word of Wisdom in the context of this revelation. In a nutshell, I see that the WoW is intended as a guideline for healthy living. Does it list all the specific do's and don'ts, no it does not, nor should it. I also argue that we ought not wait upon the hand of the Lord to lead us every single step of our lives. To put it in the words of a fellow missionary at the time, "God gave us brains for a reason, and he expects us to use them."

The overall tenor of the Word of Wisdom is that we need to care for our bodies, and avoid foods that harm us physically. It's not a new concept, even for its time. It's not even a difficult idea to understand. However, as with any other rule or law, in theory it's simple, in practice it can get tough very fast.

Now, as a direct look at what the WoW is, and why we have it, ect. I'm done. However, you could be doing a research project on the principle as it exists as a defining characteristic of LDS theology. I think such a report would be interesting to read, as I'm unsure of the when's and what's of the specific history of the principle are.

Am I the only one who thought of World of Warcraft?

Yes, I have no help for you, OP. I can remember a talk about avoiding addicting stuff, but I couldn't tell you who or when, except it was within the past 8 years lol.

Yes, I have no help for you, OP. I can remember a talk about avoiding addicting stuff,

Oxygen is far more addictive than nicotine, caffeine or alcohol; we're all hopelessly hooked before we're even born, and withdrawal symptoms are fatal in all cases. (OK, one could argue that being translated is a means of going cold turkey on O2 without dying, but that's stretching it a bit.)

Thanks for the good source reference for Coffee/Tea

Do we have a citable source for *all* alcoholic beverages as is the modern application?

Thanks.

President Grant prohibited all forms of alcohol as a requirement for a temple recommend. Before that, even though many Saints stopped the consumption of strong drinks such as whiskey, they still drank beer and cider.