What to feed a One Year Old?

MomInBabylon

Please help, I fed my son canned peaches and chips for dinner tonight because he wouldn't eat the scrambled eggs I made him. He also refuses to eat anything wrapped in a flour tortilla. He does like pasta, but I don't want to make that EVERY night! He loves fruit, crackers, cereal, and yogurt.

I need ideas of dinners I can feed him that I don't have to put on my Master Chef hat to make. There are a couple dinners I make for the family that he can/will eat too, but I need things that are easy to make, or ready to go. Ideas?

When my now-four-year-old daughter was about a year old, we'd feed her for a week on a can of kidney beans (or black beans, or pinto beans). They're great protein, and perfect finger foods! Beans, cheese, blueberries, and peas. It was all very colorful, and well-varied, too. The only thing is that if you use kidney beans, they're a little too big still, so cut or bite them in half before giving them to baby.

Whatever you're eating, cut up in small pieces! My babies won't eat tortillas, either. Just give him whatever you'd put inside it.

This.

At a year old, baby can handle most of what you're eating, minus straight milk and nuts.

Young children go through phases when they won't eat or get really picky about what they are eating. Just offer him a variety of healthy foods you're fixing for your family. He won't starve. Don't make a big deal out of it and don't force the issue. Offer the food and if he won't eat put it away. Then when he's hungry bring it out again. Eventually he'll out grow this phase and be on to the next one.

However, if he's like my grandson he will revisit the picking eating phase again off and on. It drives me nuts! :wacko:

Here's one thing to consider: According to pediatricians, toddlers need about one third of their calories from fat. Fat is important in the development of brain and nervous tissue, and it's a good thing for them. But it can be hard to find traditional baby foods that have that much. So...we've always added cream and avocados to their diet.

Whatever you're eating, cut up in small pieces! My babies won't eat tortillas, either. Just give him whatever you'd put inside it.

Missed the tortilla comment. I attest that this is true! My daughter had zero interest in tortillas. But she does like cheddar bites and mini beef dogs (the ones that look like vienna sausage).

• 6 months later...

When i was a baby my mum would cook and mash up a range of vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflour, pumpkin, silverbeat, potatos, carrots or anything that you could mash she would then place a poached egg on top and wella there you have a healthy meal for your child. Works great in most cases from time to time my family and i will still have a meal like that, you could also try an omelette and chuck in other things that your child likes or just do the whole trial and error thing and see what he will and wont eat i guess its all in what you want to make for him/the family there is a website i go to its to do with eggs but its more to do with what you can make/create with eggs i hope i dont get into trouble for this but the website is Eggs Inc I hope you can access this from where you are as i know its a New Zealand website. Hope this helps :)