Can he write me back?

ldsinvestigato

Hello,

okay, I am not a mormon (yet). I am an investigator. I got this special friendship with this missionary. A time ago he got transferred to another city. So i wrote him a card. I never got a letter/response back. So my question is: Can he write me back? Or are there some rules for having contact with old investigators?

Thanks!

ps: sorry for my english, i am not an american. I live in Europe.

• 4 months later...

I'm coming late to the party, but its been my understanding (and yes there are some variations of the rules depending on the Mission President), but as I was saying, missionaries are usually only allowed to write to their parents and grandparents. Anyone can write to them, and the missionary can write a specific email (or hand written letter) back to that person, but it must go to the missionary's parents (or grandparents) who could then read it for appropriateness and then forward it to the other person.

It also depends on where they're serving their mission (not because of the Mission President's rules, which we already mentioned), but for example, my son is in Paraguay and it takes snail mail months to travel back and forth, so everything is email, and in most of his areas (some of which are fairly remote) there is no internet, so they have to take the time to travel to a town of some size and use the local equivalent of an internet cafe.

The only other thing I would add is that the missionary must be very careful about corresponding with a young woman (or man, in the case of a sister missionary) who might be considered a possible suitor, as this could quickly lead to impure thoughts which would be a huge distraction to their work.

Edited by DMGNUT

• 9 months later...