ACLU sueing Utah school for restricting access to a book

RMGuy

I believe such books should be available to children (with correct supervision and explanations) the same way as books on other cultures and religions should be. So that other peoples life choices can be explained to children. I understand we are talking about elementary school children here, but young minds are the most open and willing to accept differences.

Which is exactly why the ACLU is pushing this. Indoctrinate the children.

If it's not right for you, then don't do it. But I reject the argument you mention. I don't send my children to school for the benefit of other people's children. The school exists for MY CHILDREN'S benefit, not vice versa. If it doesn't benefit my children, I won't sent them. There is simply no other reasonable course of action.

I agree with this. We may have public schools that may have to follow certain policies, but the community still has a lot of influence and it seems the school board fairly voted for the permission slip policy.

I imagine those school board members were at least partially influenced by community members--for example, some guy like Vort who has every right to express his opinion to the school and also has the right to remove his children if he and the school can't reach a suitable arrangement.

Perhaps this little rant of mine is a derailing but here it is.

I have come to hate that word, indoctrination, it's come to be used as a substitute for "learning anything that I don't agree with" and I get a little irritation twitch now when people start talking about "indoctrination".

I believe the older generation has a responsibility to "indoctrinate" the next generation with the morals and beliefs that the older and hopefully by now somewhat wiser generation has obtained, to expect each successive generation to just "figure it out" on their own is pure foolishness, and is what seems to be purported by modern so called progressives.

I've gone through that "figure it out" stage, it sucks, I'm for one am eternally glad for every core value my single mother tried to drill into my head, it's probably the only reason I came out of that big trial in my life, with my life.