Your Interpretation of Mark 7:24-30

Sicily510

Hi,

I had family home-evening with my sister and her husband, Chapter 7 was there area of reading and discussion that night. I'm just curious as to anyone and everyone's thoughts on this chapter and specifically the verses in the thread 24-30 of Chapter 7.

What was going on? Where did this take place? What was the problem? How was it handled and by whom? And what's the purpose of this story in the scriptures? I appreciate your time. I just want to know what others understanding is upon these verses. Possibly to better clarify my understanding of this scripture.

Thanks.

I'd recommend the Church's Institute manual on the New Testament. It is a pretty good commentary on the meaning of the scriptures with background and insights.

New Testament Manual - LDS Institute

“The rabbis often spoke of the Gentiles as dogs. …

“… [Jesus] says not ‘dogs,’ but ‘little dogs,’ i.e. household, favourite dogs, and the woman cleverly catches at the expression, arguing that if the Gentiles are household dogs, then it is only right that they should be fed with the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.” (Dummelow, Commentary, pp. 678–79.)

Christ did not go among the Gentiles. The Book of Mormon goes further, where Christ teaches that he never goes among the Gentiles, but only ever to the house of Israel. This woman requested a favor, something reserved for "the children" (of Israel), and demonstrated not only cleverness but such great faith in her response to the Lord that he saw fit (or perhaps could not help but) grant her petition.

I like to think that she was an early baptism post-crucifixion and resurrection.

Christ did not go among the Gentiles. The Book of Mormon goes further, where Christ teaches that he never goes among the Gentiles, but only ever to the house of Israel. This woman requested a favor, something reserved for "the children" (of Israel), and demonstrated not only cleverness but such great faith in her response to the Lord that he saw fit (or perhaps could not help but) grant her petition.

I like to think that she was an early baptism post-crucifixion and resurrection.

The way it is framed, her faith made her part of the covenant.