Joel Osteen

CommanderSouth

Anyone else listen to him? He's one of the few preachers from my old pentecostal days I still listen to. I never have to worry about him condemning my faith, in fact he confirmed his belief that LDS are Christian in his mind. I just like to listen to uplifting messages, and I usually don't find too much I disagree with.

Just a good change of pace from Fire and Brimstone preachers (though I do enjoy a good fired up message).

What about you all?

While I know for a fact most non LDS Christians aren't afraid of accepting us as part of the Christian faith, Joel Osteen is one of the few prominent preachers that won't hesitate to say it. In my mind, this shows me that not only does he believe in Christ, he has accepted everything Christ stood for. Granted we and Joel have a different understanding of the bible, but he has at the very least taken up the charge of universal love and peace between all of God's children, unconditionally. That's a pretty big thing to me.

He's very popular, even inside our jail. Many critics say he won't touch the negative stuff--the tough stuff. In an interview he did (not sure he with) he basically said, "Guilty as charged. God made me a positive person, and I want share the very positive Jesus I know." [very rough paraphrase, btw]

What he offers is solid and uplifting. As far as teaching goes, I consider him a spiritual sweets bar.

What he offers is solid and uplifting. As far as teaching goes, I consider him a spiritual sweets bar.

Yep. He is a "health and wealth" preacher. He doesn't do expository preaching, which is disappointing. He is very light on the Bible and doctrine; he is very watered-down in terms of teaching. I also don't like the version of the bible he uses- but I'm a KJV girl. When I hear a sermon I want meat. I want the Bible preached in-depth. I'm so glad my pastor does this.

It depends on what you're looking for.

We listen & watch a lot of Joyce Meyer, who uses the Bible to expound on universal truths... namely, "what manner of men ought ye to be?". If we pay attention in our General Conference addresses, it's the same message... just not as entertaining to listen to.

If you're looking for doctrine, I wouldn't turn here. I would keep to the scriptures and our lesson manuals.

If you're looking for insights into how to better ourselves, we should be students of others points of view and search for good ideas. That can come from anywhere.

He's very popular, even inside our jail. Many critics say he won't touch the negative stuff--the tough stuff. In an interview he did (not sure he with) he basically said, "Guilty as charged. God made me a positive person, and I want share the very positive Jesus I know." [very rough paraphrase, btw]

I agree with that analysis, I've always thought about it from the angle that there are more than enough people to tell you sin is wrong, and that message will be spread far and wide. It's also nice to have somewhere to go to hear something you know will be uplifting and not condemnation. (Though obviously you can't live there forever and forego the purging of sin in your life)

I often joke that if you want the stuff Joel doesn't preach just go listen to someone like John Hagee :)