Dating a married woman? or am I

Hmmmm it's interesting because every time they pulled into port, they would have to fly him off of the ship to another ship because the law stated she was still married to him as they would not recognize the divorce. The Navy was always afraid of legal repercussions if he were in the Philippines where she was.

Did that happen before 1988? Article 26 of the Family Code did not become law until after Marcos left office.

Not sure how Brazil handles it, but many countries require you to obtain citizenship in another country before you can formally renounce your original citizenship. Given that I know people who have been here for more than a decade as permanent residents, gainfully employed and actively trying to obtain US citizenship, I would have to say that this is something that should be considered on a case-by-case basis.

So does that mean they recognize divorce now or how does that work?

Philippine marriage law as of August 3, 1988 (or thereabouts) states that the Philippines will recognize laws of the country of citizenship of the foreign national that impact a marriage contract to a Filipino citizen. There are no "grandfathered" marriages.

Basically, the law protects Filipinos from abandonment where the Philippines have no authority to make the person who abandons his spouse liable for the abandonment.

I'm sure there's a better way to state that...