Is it actually...

wyarwehere

Haven't covered Distance = Rate*Time problems yet? People solve those all the time, they just don't think of it as algebra.

At least with those, it's more of "fill in the blank" for the 1 unknown variable.

You're not trying to solve for 'x', 'y' and 'z'.

In fact:

"Dear Algebra: Please stop asking us to find your 'x'. She's not coming back. And please don't ask 'y'. We don't know." :D

At least with those, it's more of "fill in the blank" for the 1 unknown variable.

Only if you are trying to solve for "d", if you want "r" or "t" you have to rearrange the formula. Not exactly difficult to do, but not quite just plug and chug. Actually I think one of the key understandings to walk away from Algebra with is that you can rearrange formulas and get valid results. I have seen people be given distance and time and get a glazed look in their eyes because it hasn't clicked yet (assuming the units are odd, if they are familiar enough with the units involved they'll do it intuitively).

Another real world application of algebra is calculating compound interest. There are more though, but I suspect you might be using a limited concept of real world application. For example using algebra to figure out how to dilute an acid isn't something a store clerk would do but it very much is a real world use, it's not theoretical. As a (future) geologist one of my tools is dilute hydrochloric acid, the cheapest way to get it, for field use, is to buy big jugs of acid from Home Depot intended for cleaning metal, etching concrete, or the like, but it'll be stronger than I need. Instead of buying 10% HCl solution I can just buy some 32% HCl solution and dilute it to 10%.

(32 g HCl)/(100 g + X) = 0.10, do the math and X = 220 g. What's fun is that now I have a relationship I can clean things up a bit and get 0.3125*X Acid + 0.6875*x Water = 10% Acid. If I don't mind my acid not being exactly 10%, but rather 9.6%, I can fudge it to 3 parts 32% Acid to 7 parts Water by weight. Which I probably would as this is for field identification as opposed to lab use.

You're not trying to solve for 'x', 'y' and 'z'.

I actually kinda like solving systems of equations, matrices are handy.

Edited by Dravin

On the first day of my information economics class, the professor announced, "There's some math, but don't worry, we won't go past the first derivative in calculus." Those of us who had not had calculus trembled just a bit and looked toward the exit, which was blocked by the bodies of English majors trying to get out. Alas, since there was no escape, all we could do was put our heads down and work. It did not defeat us, it made us stronger.

Years later, when I thought I might apply to PhD programs in business, I took stats and calculus courses. I lived. I wasn't happy about it; but I lived.