Catholic going to Convert?

pk55847

Hey I am new to the forums, nice to meet you all. Anyway, I am a Catholic right now but I have been reading the Book of Mormon and talking to the missionaries for a little over a week now and they asked me to be baptized later on in May. I am 20 years old and I haven't attended my first temple service yet, I am quite nervous. Would I have to speak in front of a large group of people as a visitor or anything? What is expected of me after baptism? What is RS and home teacher? I have so many unanswered questions that I haven't asked the missionaries yet, so I though maybe you all could help.

Edited by pk55847

Hey I am new to the forums, nice to meet you all. Anyway, I am a Catholic right now but I have been reading the Book of Mormon and talking to the missionaries for a little over a week now and they asked me to be baptized later on in May. I am 20 years old and I haven't attended my first temple service yet, I am quite nervous.

I know I'm being a little 'technical', but LDS temples are for members in good standing to perform ordinances for the living and the dead. Missionaries will teach you more about LDS temples. I'm pretty sure you meant our meetinghouses and attending Sabbath Day services.

Would I have to speak in front of a large group of people as a visitor or anything?

Nah. The most you may need to be asked is to briefly introduce yourself during the ward Priesthood meeting, but the missionaries may introduce you for you.

What is expected of me after baptism?

Mosiah 18:8-11

8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?

11 And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts.

What is RS and home teacher?

The RS is the Relief Society, the largest and oldest women's organization in the world.

A home teacher is a member of the priesthood who has a duty to be a friend and share a gospel message to selected families within the congregation.

I have so many unanswered questions that I haven't asked the missionaries yet, so I though maybe you all could help. Also since I am 20, I know this si a long shot and I probably won't only because I know it takes a long time to save money but is there any chance I could later be a missionary myself? (I am male) Thanks.

Yes, it is possible to serve as a missionary, provided one is living worthy of that blessing from the time of baptism. While the age for missionary service was recently lowered to age 18 for males, I believe the maximum age for full-time service is still 26.

Good questions! Keep them coming! :)

I'll add on what skippy said.

Hey I am new to the forums, nice to meet you all. Anyway, I am a Catholic right now but I have been reading the Book of Mormon and talking to the missionaries for a little over a week now and they asked me to be baptized later on in May.

Exciting! How is the reading going? Been praying about it?

E I am 20 years old and I haven't attended my first temple service yet, I am quite nervous. Would I have to speak in front of a large group of people as a visitor or anything? What is expected of me after baptism?

Skippy answered this but I will add on when you go to church on sunday's you won't be required to do anything. Just sit and listen and enjoy it ;). Every ward is different (meeting house). The atmosphere will vary slightly but they are usually very friendly and will talk to you. (more than your used to)

There are 3 parts to church

1)Sacrament

2)Sunday School

3)Priesthood meeting/Relief Society (the males go off to their class and the females go off to their class, except the youth under 18 years old they have their own classes too)

The order may vary.

What is RS and home teacher? I have so many unanswered questions that I haven't asked the missionaries yet, so I though maybe you all could help. Also since I am 20, I know this si a long shot and I probably won't only because I know it takes a long time to save money but is there any chance I could later be a missionary myself? (I am male) Thanks.

The hometeachers are other males who visit members of the church once a month. I am not sure if you have to wait a year after baptism for mission but anyone is allowed to. Unless they are married than only can go later in life as a senior missionary.

Does everything make sense the missionaries have taught? Is the BOM easy to read (most have a harder time at first)?

Edited by ElectofGod

I thought I answered this one... but I don't see my response. Is this a 2nd post?

I moved the thread into a different category that fit (Advice) lol. Yes, The BoM makes sense as I read it and I have been praying very good feelings about it :D

I met a young man who had converted. Since he was the only LDS in his family, his ward was going to support him on his mission. You may be able to do the same thing; there is certainly assistance for those who can't pay their own way. I would imagine you aren't the first missionary-age convert the Church has had to work with to get them on a mission.

Thanks, by the way who can attend a baptism? Or who usually does? Can non-mormons?

Anybody you want.

Yes non Members attend all the time (the more the merrier)

If you don't keep a journal (or Diary) I suggest you do so now. It can even just be thoughts you type up on the computer.

Talk about what you are leaning and the questions you have. Then when you get an answer to the question do a follow-up.

But even more write down how you are feeling. The Spirit (as I'm sure you have felt) is a feeling that gives you thoughts. Or more its the Holy Ghost talking to your spirit. It can be hard for us mortals to understand it and explain it. Even more when its gone it can be hard to fully remember how it felt. So write it down!

Thanks, I am just concerned because my family members said they wouldn't attend because it goes against their teachings but I still want to do it, I was just wondering if it is common for late converts to be baptized alone with no family in attendance?

I got baptized without any of my family in attendance. My kid got baptized 8 years later and my brother attended. My 2nd kid got baptized 2 more years later and my brother and parents attended....

Oh okay, I have never attended any type of baptism before and I know how family oriented LDS church is.

I was 38 when I was baptized. I had no spouse and no family within 500 miles of where I lived. None of my non-LDS friends or coworkers knew I was getting baptized, although in retrospect I was silly to hide it from them, and I'm quite sure all my non-LDS friends would have come to support me even if they didn't fully understand what I was doing.

Going alone to the baptism was difficult. I can remember my heart pounding on the drive to the meetinghouse. And yet the baptism was one of the nicest experiences of my life. A lot of my new LDS friends were there, and they were wonderful. The bishop spoke after the baptism and brought out a painting of the lion and the lamb lying down together. (To this day I am moved deeply by this painting.) Afterwards several members asked me to come to their houses just so I wouldn't have to be alone after a significant life event.

If you are ready for baptism, press ahead and don't waste a moment worrying about who is or isn't there. Best wishes...

I was 38 when I was baptized. I had no spouse and no family within 500 miles of where I lived. None of my non-LDS friends or coworkers knew I was getting baptized, although in retrospect I was silly to hide it from them, and I'm quite sure all my non-LDS friends would have come to support me even if they didn't fully understand what I was doing.

Going alone to the baptism was difficult. I can remember my heart pounding on the drive to the meetinghouse. And yet the baptism was one of the nicest experiences of my life. A lot of my new LDS friends were there, and they were wonderful. The bishop spoke after the baptism and brought out a painting of the lion and the lamb lying down together. (To this day I am moved deeply by this painting.) Afterwards several members asked me to come to their houses just so I wouldn't have to be alone after a significant life event.

If you are ready for baptism, press ahead and don't waste a moment worrying about who is or isn't there. Best wishes...

Thanks for the nice story, it makes me feel a lot better haha

Hey I am new to the forums, nice to meet you all. Anyway, I am a Catholic right now but I have been reading the Book of Mormon and talking to the missionaries for a little over a week now and they asked me to be baptized later on in May. I am 20 years old and I haven't attended my first temple service yet, I am quite nervous. Would I have to speak in front of a large group of people as a visitor or anything? What is expected of me after baptism? What is RS and home teacher? I have so many unanswered questions that I haven't asked the missionaries yet, so I though maybe you all could help. Also since I am 20, I know this si a long shot and I probably won't only because I know it takes a long time to save money but is there any chance I could later be a missionary myself? (I am male) Thanks.

I'm curious as to why you want to serve a mission.

Just curiosity I guess, I don't know if I would or not. Serving as a missionary is not on my mind right now, I haven't even been baptized yet lol.

Okay, just wondering. In answer to your question, I believe you can be a missionary. After baptism you will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and the priesthood of Christ will be made available to you. All missionaries hold the Melchizedek priesthood. This is the same priesthood the Apostles had and you will have to enter a Temple to receive the ordinances.

You can also receive this priesthood and not serve a mission.

After all this and if you still wish to serve Christ as a missionary, you will have to speak to your Bishop and submit some paperwork to Utah. All missions are decided in Utah by the prophets and apostles of the Church.

Good luck with your conversion and with the promise of baptism the saints welcome you to Israel.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, just wondering. In answer to your question, I believe you can be a missionary. After baptism you will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and the priesthood of Christ will be made available to you. All missionaries hold the Melchizedek priesthood. This is the same priesthood the Apostles had and you will have to enter a Temple to receive the ordinances.

You can also receive this priesthood and not serve a mission.

After all this and if you still wish to serve Christ as a missionary, you will have to speak to your Bishop and submit some paperwork to Utah. All missions are decided in Utah by the prophets and apostles of the Church.

Good luck with your conversion and with the promise of baptism the saints welcome you to Israel.

Thanks, I am just excited for my baptism haha.