Now I'm concerned!

I was just reading the post below about the gentleman who was concerned about his child being sealed to his wife and her ex-husband. Now I am really worried about my own situation.

I married a life long member of the LDS church. I converted 3 years ago. We have not been sealed in the Temple as of yet...I have WOW issues...or had...anywho...we are preparing to go the Temple to be sealed. My husband was married before me and was sealed to his ex. We just now sent in our paperwork for him to have a sealing clearance so we can go to the Temple. We have two children. So, will they not be sealed to us when we go???? This is very upsetting to me!!

This is so confusing!

Upon research I do not see to much instruction related to the Father. I do read that children born to a Mother who had a Temple Sealing are born under the Covenant. I am sure that once approval is given for you and your husband to be sealed, then you and husband and all your living children can enter into the Temple to be sealed together as a family.

Edited by SQUARE

foodforthought, this is definitely the reason why we all need to study and become aware of the principles, policies, and doctrines of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

First, since you have not been sealed to any man within the temple the children born to you have not been born within the covenant, thus they will need the opportunity to be sealed to their parents.

Second, your husband doesn't need to receive a sealing cancellation in order to be sealed to you in the temple. The two of you are able to begin planning to attend the temple and even if the sealing cancellation hasn't come you two will still be able to go to the temple and be sealed.

Third, in order for your children to be sealed to you and your husband you either must have full custody over the children, or the other natural parent has given permission for the children to be sealed provided you don't have legal custody.

I assume, from your post, you have full legal custody and that he is the father of the two children you speak of. If so, and they are under the age of 21 (appears so), then you and your husband will be able to go to the temple and be sealed to your children who "have not" been born in the covenant.

At least this is according to my understanding of the Handbook.

Best wishes in your desire to be sealed and attend the temple. This ordinance will bless you and yoru family as you are faithful to the covenants made therein.

Second, your husband doesn't need to receive a sealing cancellation in order to be sealed to you in the temple. The two of you are able to begin planning to attend the temple and even if the sealing cancellation hasn't come you two will still be able to go to the temple and be sealed.

Wait....hold the phone...how is this possible? Why wasn't I told this??? My ward is kinda different...I feel like no one knows what is what...so it wouldn't surprise me if this were true.

Wait....hold the phone...how is this possible? Why wasn't I told this??? My ward is kinda different...I feel like no one knows what is what...so it wouldn't surprise me if this were true.

A man doesn't need a sealing cancellation. He does need a sealing clearance. Foodforthought, you were correct in your OP -- Anddenex just conflated the two.

No...wait...I just checked...it's a clearance he is requesting...he still needs the clearance...sorry...it's all so confusing to me.

I'm so frustrated because I have been working hard on my issues to become worthy of the Temple. We sent in the paperwork-as we wanted to be sealed while visiting family in June (they are all LDS) and wanted to share the even with them. We just had a change in Bishopric and when my husband when to find out the status of the paperwork...learned it had never been sent in!!! This is a month-after we met the Bishop to get it started!

Wingnut is correct. I misread "clearance" and inputted cancellation. Doh! :o

Yes, your husband will need a sealing clearance. I confessed, forsaken the wrong statement, now you can forgive me. :D

P.S. Please be patient with your bishop, he has a lot more on his plate and they are not perfect man. I would recommend a weekly follow up with the new bishopric to make sure this is being taken care of.

If it weren't for our leaders following up with me in our bishopric, I would miss a few things myself. Not intentionally.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case it is still sounding confusing, I thought I would clarify it a little.

If your children are sealed to you, they are sealed.

What you are worrying about cannot be an issue for a woman, only for a man.

Women can only be sealed to one man. So if a woman marries in the temple, and is later married a second time, she cannot be sealed to the second spouse (unless the first sealing has been cancelled).

When children are born to her and the second spouse, they are born under the covenant that she has, which is to the first spouse. Otherwise, they wouldn't be sealed at all, or have the blessings that come with that.

No...wait...I just checked...it's a clearance he is requesting...he still needs the clearance...sorry...it's all so confusing to me.

I'm so frustrated because I have been working hard on my issues to become worthy of the Temple. We sent in the paperwork-as we wanted to be sealed while visiting family in June (they are all LDS) and wanted to share the even with them. We just had a change in Bishopric and when my husband when to find out the status of the paperwork...learned it had never been sent in!!! This is a month-after we met the Bishop to get it started!

This happened to Husband and myself too. Our 1st Bishop got distracted by his business and personal life and neglected his Bishop duties.

The next Bishop had a lot of *undoing* and *catching up* to do. From the date when we first filled out the forms to the date the First Presidency granted the sealing clearance between Husband and his previous wife (who by the way had voluntarily left the church and was extremely eager to rid herself of ALL things Mormon) it was 19 months later that we were finally sealed together.

Keep asking your Bishop if he has an update - but be nice about it. He turns it in to the Stake President, and the Stake President turns it in to the 1st Presidency. We were told that the 1st Presidency only deals with this type of thing during a few months together out of a year.

When the clearance comes, you only have ONE (1) month to get to the Temple. SO if you are not already endowed - get on it and do so.

We wanted to get sealed in August - on our civil wedding date - well the approval came the first week of May. We were sealed the middle of May. BOTH of us already had our endowments so we didn't have to scramble to get those.

From my life in the Church - baptized at 14 and am now 61 - patience is just one of the things that is a constant recurring theme. Learn patience and learn it well - because it is a virtue you absolutely need to perfect. I have not perfected it 100% - more like 60% so I still have a lot of learning, practicing and perfecting to do. :P