Thieves Are Breaking In To Cars and Cops Are ‘Stumped’

Be Aware: Car Thieves Are Using Some Kind of Universal Car Remote…And Cops Are ‘Stumped’

The thief walks right up to the locked sports utility vehicle parked in the driveway. It’s hard to see, but police say he aims something at the passenger-side door. Just like that, the lock clicks, the lights come on and the thief is in the car. Then, an accomplice shows up and does the same thing to the other car in the driveway, all captured by security camera.

Police in Long Beach, Calif. admit they’re baffled by the break-ins.

“This is bad in the sense we’re stumped,” Long Beach Deputy Police Chief David Hendricks told NBC's "Today." “We are stumped and we don’t know what this technology is.”

It seems to be some kind of universal car remote, overriding the car’s built-in encryption security. Thieves have used the technology from California to Illinois, according to “Today.”

“I felt pretty unsafe,” said Michael Shin, whose Honda Accord was breached. “It was shocking. It just opens magically without him having to do anything.”

Even more mystifying: the device seems to works on some cars, but not on others. More footage shows a Ford SUV and a Cadillac remaining locked, but an Acura opens right away. The device also seems only to work on the passenger-side door.

“We’ve reached out to the car manufacturers, the manufacturers of the vehicle alarm systems. Nobody seems to know what this technology is,” Hendricks said. “When you look at the video and you see how easy it is, it’s pretty unnerving.”

Be Aware: Car Thieves Are Using Some Kind of Universal Car Remote…And Cops Are ‘Stumped’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

---------------------------------------------

It seems having all the electronic locks disconnected in a car is the only solution. Use manual keys instead.

This appears to me someone who knows the program code and security for faubs. I work at a car dealer and I find it intriguing that the same faub is able to open up more than one car at times.

Thus, all a person needs to be is familiar with the coding and security of the faubs and he/she would be able to break into any car.

Posted Image

Wish I could both thank and laugh at this. Instead, I'll just quote it so we get to see more David Tennant. Because more David Tennant is always a good thing. :)

That is very true.

This appears to me someone who knows the program code and security for faubs. I work at a car dealer and I find it intriguing that the same faub is able to open up more than one car at times.

Thus, all a person needs to be is familiar with the coding and security of the faubs and he/she would be able to break into any car.

Hmmm.... you seem to have a grasp on this Anddenex, a little too good of a grasp in my opinion...