Could I fit in with Mormonism?

Gretsch59

I will keep this short...

2 weeks ago I was approached by a group of three “missionaries” in the street after work, had a little chat... asked if I believe in god etc and explained I did, but I do not go to church...

I read the book of Mormon they gave me, and I am intrigued..

I do wonder why they approached me, I am a musician, tattooed, and do not look like your typical church goer, I look more like a bad young Elvis, I drink, go out on the weekends clubbing, picking up girls, and I do not even know any way I could possibly change the way I live my life.

Sometimes I am two people. one is the nice one. The other is the one that causes all the trouble and that’s the person I feel I need to be because its what my friends expect of me.. its what they are used to and its also like I am living up to an image.

I have been through a period of heavy drug use, never addiction – the drugs were free so I took them, I went on a 6 week long cocaine and amphetamine binge and almost killed myself since then I don’t take drugs anymore I finally found out I was deceiving myself. That this was one of those things that have a false face.

There are parts of my life I cant leave behind, like partying, rock music, my motorcycles, friends, drinking etc....

In answer to your question I would recommend reading the different articles written about the "Tattooed Mormon."

I am only able to speak from my own experience, the missionaries are rarely concerned with your appearance as they are your willingness to learn more about the gospel of Jesus Christ.

When we come unto Christ, his spirit changes us, and thus we begin to fit in. In the beginning it will probably be a little uncomfortable depending on the charity of the ward a person attends.

My experience, if a person has a testimony, is willing to serve, you can fit anywhere in the Church.

I will keep this short...

2 weeks ago I was approached by a group of three “missionaries” in the street after work, had a little chat... asked if I believe in god etc and explained I did, but I do not go to church...

I read the book of Mormon they gave me, and I am intrigued..

I do wonder why they approached me, I am a musician, tattooed, and do not look like your typical church goer, I look more like a bad young Elvis, I drink, go out on the weekends clubbing, picking up girls, and I do not even know any way I could possibly change the way I live my life.

Sometimes I am two people. one is the nice one. The other is the one that causes all the trouble and that’s the person I feel I need to be because its what my friends expect of me.. its what they are used to and its also like I am living up to an image.

I have been through a period of heavy drug use, never addiction – the drugs were free so I took them, I went on a 6 week long cocaine and amphetamine binge and almost killed myself since then I don’t take drugs anymore I finally found out I was deceiving myself. That this was one of those things that have a false face.

There are parts of my life I cant leave behind, like partying, rock music, my motorcycles, friends, drinking etc....

I've never known of anyone who had to give up their motorcycle to join the church. :)

As to the other things...I understand that people will say they "won't" give up certain things in their lives (whether it be to join the church or for another reason), but you use the word "can't". Why do you feel you "can't" leave things such as drinking behind?

I've never known of anyone who had to give up their motorcycle to join the church. :)

As to the other things...I understand that people will say they "won't" give up certain things in their lives (whether it be to join the church or for another reason), but you use the word "can't". Why do you feel you "can't" leave things such as drinking behind?

I use the word can't because, I have an amazing bunch of friends, I love them dearly,we are just a group of 3 good looking guys having a good time and when we go out, it always ends up with us getting pretty drunk,or hitting on girls, or both. no matter how good our intentions are "no drinking this weekend" "i am doing a 30 day detox" yet it never happens, same as smoking, but i only smoke when I drink.

Edited by Gretsch59

"Could" you fit in with Mormonism?

YES. But with such a contrasting lifestyle, certain changes will have to be made in order for you to become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. That said, all walks of life are welcomed. The members that makeup the Lord's church are all very different and unique in many ways.

I use the word can't because, I have an amazing bunch of friends, I love them dearly,we are just a group of 3 good looking guys having a good time and when we go out, it always ends up with us getting pretty drunk,or hitting on girls, or both. no matter how good our intentions are "no drinking this weekend" "i am doing a 30 day detox" yet it never happens, same as smoking, but i only smoke when I drink.

If you're interested, go ahead and learn more. The church was made for man, not the other way around. Been there, done that but what I got from this church is perspective. There is more to life than living for the weekends to get wasted. You may want to sit down and think about where you're at, where you want to go, is this lifestyle going to get you there and are your friends helping or hindering your progress.

Don't forget that Christ said that those who lose their life for his sake will find it. That includes losing your old lifestyle and friends and replacing it with the lifestyle and friends that Christ want's you to have. You don't have to be ready to change, you have to be willing.

So, it is not really a "can't". As with everything in life, it is a choice. Your choice.

Keep learning about the church. Keep your mind - and your options - open. I know you won't believe me now...but someday you may be looking back with the realization that an evening spent at the temple is a million times better than any night spent getting drunk.

Sounds like all of you want to do something better. Just stopping drinking etc is not enough. You need something to fill that gap. Something else to do. :D Invite your friends and the missionaries and see if you and your friends can find a fit.

Gretsch59, incase you are concerned about not "fitting in" let me assure you that there are all kinds of Mormons, by using myself as an example. Culturally, I'm quite distant from most Mormons myself. I'm (more or less) your typical vegan, straightedge, hardcore/punk/metal guy. I keep my hair in a mohawk most of the time. My dress usually consists of a mosh hat (military cap) and a faux leather jacket covered in spikes and studs. At least 60% of my friends are atheists. It's not uncommon for me to be hanging out with my friends at a bar (I'm the guy that only drinks the water) and despite how drunk they get, I'm often the most obnoxious one. My idea of a good time is throwing down in a mosh pit. One of my major hobbies is composing deathmetal songs. I crack jokes on the daily that would make the devil blush.

Needless to say, when I'm around other Mormons, I don't fit in, but that's ok, because fitting in is irrelevant. Allow me to elaborate. Mormonism, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which I will hereto refer to as "The Church" and the teachings of, as "the gospel", is for everyone, regardless of culture/sub-culture/lifestyle. You said you are intrigued, that's good enough for now. No one becomes perfect over night, and very few people immediately change their lives upon introduction to the gospel (that's not to say that you can't, or that you shouldn't, but it would be an unrealistic expectation indeed). Take that interest and build on it. Just because you are not ready to turn a 180 doesn't mean you can't go to church, participate, study the scriptures. Try not to make your goal or perspective to be one of 'fitting in', but instead take what you can from these new ideas/teachings/philosophies for your own personal growth. In time you may find that you not only want to, but CAN change certain aspects of your lifestyle. And if not, at least your time spent studying the gospel has added to your life experiences.

My point is, maybe you will (and maybe you won't) be a black sheep if you got involved with, or joined the church. While the black sheep might not always feel understood, or even welcome by the rest of the flock, when it is lost The Shepherd calls it's name all the same. Perhaps now He is calling yours.

Oh, and as far as your friends are concerned. Changing your lifestyle doesn't mean abandoning your friendship. It just means being strong enough to live your own way, while they live theirs. If they are truly your friends they will support you in any new journey you decide to take. And if you find yourself at a place in your life where you WANT to change, but your friends hinder your personal development, I leave you with a lyric from Seven by xDeathStarx - "Break the bones in the hands that hold me back."