Tithing questions

paw722

Help me understand where the money goes and what it is used for

Tithing 10% ?

Fast offering the monies you would spend on two meals???

General missionary ?????

Ward Missionary????

Humanitarian aid????

Other????

ANY and all help understanding would be great

Tithing goes to help pay for the running of the church and buildings.

Fast Offerings goes to help those in financial need.

General missionary fund helps those with a portion of their mission expenses.

Ward missionary fund helps those missionaries within their ward or stake with some of their mission expenses.

Humanitarian aid fund allows the church to help in things such as times of disaster. To provide safe water, food, medical supplies and anything else needed. Does not matter the race, religion or background.

My experience with "other" is that if the ward is trying to raise funds for a particular project, the means of collecting the donation is that they'll ask you to fill out a standard donation slip and write the name of the project. (For example: "Christmas trees for local nursing home", or what have you.)

what is the "other" category for?

It's use is for specifying funds be used for something other than the categories provided, it's a catch all line on the tithing slip and that is why it asks you to specify.

Edited by Dravin

My experience with "other" is that if the ward is trying to raise funds for a particular project, the means of collecting the donation is that they'll ask you to fill out a standard donation slip and write the name of the project. (For example: "Christmas trees for local nursing home", or what have you.)

You can, to my knowledge, also use it for things that used to be on the tithing slip like the Perpetual Education Fund (for Paw's benefit: The Perpetual Education Fund of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ), subsidizing Books of Mormon, and Temple Construction Fund.

Edited by Dravin

Well, according to the scriptures, to be tithed is to give all your surplus property to the Church. "For the building of mine house, and for the laying of the foundation of Zion and for the priesthood, and for the debts of the Presidency of my Church." Then "those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually" and it should be a "standing law unto them forever".

The disclaimer on the bottom of the tithing slip was changed maybe a year ago. It now reads:

"Though reasonable efforts will be made globally to use donations as designated, all donations become the church's property and will be used at the church's sole discretion to further the church's overall mission."

Other is also where you would mark if you were say paying for a place on a stake organised temple visit with bus and accommodation etc, or if like me you dont having a checking account but need a check to pay for, as an example, our national single adult conference - I can pay the cash to the branch, write at other "sa conference" and get a check from my bishop