Priesthood??

drham3rd

I'm a recent convert and have been ordained a priest in the Aaronic Priesthood. I'm excited about being able to assist with sacrament on Sunday's. But, because of my background of being raised in the Episcopal church, attending the Baptist after marriage, and then finally becoming a Methodist; my only understanding of ordination was within these denominations, where a pastor had to have some type of formal education before being ordained! So, I'm having some problem getting my "head" around this realization that all worthy men of the church can obtain ordination! I know I'm probably over analyzing this but I wanted to get some feedback from others about how they conceptualized this part of the LDS experience??

Thanks

I'm a recent convert and have been ordained a priest in the Aaronic Priesthood. I'm excited about being able to assist with sacrament on Sunday's. But, because of my background of being raised in the Episcopal church, attending the Baptist after marriage, and then finally becoming a Methodist; my only understanding of ordination was within these denominations, where a pastor had to have some type of formal education before being ordained! So, I'm having some problem getting my "head" around this realization that all worthy men of the church can obtain ordination! I know I'm probably over analyzing this but I wanted to get some feedback from others about how they conceptualized this part of the LDS experience??

Thanks

Here is a thought for you to consider in light of studies in the Old Testament. I was ordained in every priesthood ordination by my father. I have baptized all of my children, blessed all my children and given them names and ordained all my sons to their ordinations in the priesthood. My sons and sons-in-law have blessed all their children and given them names and baptized all their children. I believe that is how G-d intended such things to be.

As a side note: it was the influence of Charlemagne that changed the course of Christianity when he established institutions of "universal" learning to qualify teachers of religion to meet standards of education.

The Traveler

Peter James and John had a lot of training before they were ordained, but it consisted of catching fish.

John the baptist wore leather underwear and lived in the wilderness.

So in conclusion if you have leather underwear and can catch a fish you have enough training.

So in conclusion if you have leather underwear and can catch a fish you have enough training.

I don't have leather underwear or know how to catch fish very well. I should probably turn in my Elder's Quorum Card. :lol:

The LDS Church, more than most, relies on the adage that church is a hospital for sinners and not a museum for saints. There is no need to be a perfect person or a doctrinal scholar to perform the Lord's work. Breaking bread into little pieces for the sacrament takes about 10 minutes of training, not a semester long course.

Isaiah 28:10 says, "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little"

Once you've mastered passing the sacrament, you can add blessing it. Next you can add giving blessings to heal the sick. The grace of Christ lifts us up to accomplish what we cannot do on our own. This is the key to understanding how we can perform mighty things without needing extensive training. As long as we have a willing heart, we will be called to the work. If we are called by one having the authority, we will be given the ability to accomplish that which was asked of us.

Hello. It's nice to meet you. Welcome to the forums.

As has already been hinted at, Christ himself chose very ordinary men to be his Apostles. He didn't insist on a certain amount of education for those he ordained to the priesthood.

What matters is that one is striving to live the gospel with integrity and virtue. D&C 4:5 says, "And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work."

You may be interested in reading through the scriptures listed in the Topical Guide under Priesthood, Qualifying for. <---- see link

Hope that helps. :)

If you have been interviewed and found worthy, you have probably properly answered 12 of the toughest questions you will ever be asked in your life, and only a very small portion of the world can say the same. Priesthood is based on personal worthiness and not on schooling. Trust me, if you learn to serve in your callings you will have ten times the experience and wisdom of someone who has sat through divinity classes.

Welcome and may the Lord bless you in your endeavors!

I thank everyone for their insight. My home teacher actually gave a good lesson last night on the priesthood since he knew I was having issues getting my mind around this. I have come to realize that I'm over analyzing this as usual....guess an occupational hazard for a college professor!