I will be getting baptized in the Church this October (starting lessons this September), but I have one worry. I don't want to fall! I'm not the most sturdy person out there, so I am worried that when I am lowered into the water, I'll trip and fall. I know that the person baptizing me is holding me, but I weigh 160 pounds, and have no idea how strong the person will be.

So, do they lower you down, or do you lower yourself down? And what should I do to stop me from falling?

This is a fear of mine, I don't wanna look like an idiot. :lol:

Here is a video of Somebody getting baptised. (Its like 20 second into the video i think)

https://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/first-presidency-message/faith-in-the-power-of-the-priesthood?lang=eng

The video is about the Priesthood but they show a baptism and how they are bent backwards into the water. Once you have chosen who is going to baptise you, you can practice with the person. (Bending backwards and holding your nose)

I will be getting baptized in the Church this October (starting lessons this September), but I have one worry. I don't want to fall! I'm not the most sturdy person out there, so I am worried that when I am lowered into the water, I'll trip and fall. I know that the person baptizing me is holding me, but I weigh 160 pounds, and have no idea how strong the person will be.

You're still mostly water. Fully underwater, you weigh almost nothing. The more of you that is submerged, the less you weigh. I dated a girl once who was about 120 pounds and could easily heave 200 pounds of me most of the way out of the pool like the emergency surfacing scene in Hunt for Red October. I once had to do a water rescue during a Boy Scout trip, and had no problem keeping the ~250 pound guy's head well above the water with one hand while pulling us along a rope with the other. Just remember to stay calm and not thrash if you do lose your footing; fortunately, that kid had the same lifesaving class I'd had, and remembered to stop trying to swim when I got to him.

Edited by NightSG

I know that the person baptizing me is holding me, but I weigh 160 pounds, and have no idea how strong the person will be.

I witnessed a re-baptism a couple of months ago. This man was quite large and he knew it (400+ lbs). His father baptized him... and he looked like quite a little man in comparison. He was much older than him too - probably by about 30 years? It took a couple of tries, but it was done.

So 160 lbs is NOTHING! You have absolutely nothing to worry about. :)

I too witnessed a baptism of a very large man - size 6X - he is terrified of water & can not swim. The man baptizing him is 6'2" and weighs at the most 125 pounds.

They had practiced in the shallow end of the public swimming pool and found that by having the baptizee crouch, then go forward onto his knees and then slide his hands forward along the bottom of the font - the PH can then push on his back to make sure all of him is immersed.

Worked great!

I had no idea how they did the dunking until I was changing for the baptism. I asked the guy baptizing me and the guy confirming me. Bend your knees and let the guy baptizing you control you. Trust me, I way more than 160 and it worked out fine. Though I do remember the witnesses whispering "Bend your knees" like 3 seconds before being dunked.

it's not all that bad.

I had no idea how they did the dunking until I was changing for the baptism. I asked the guy baptizing me and the guy confirming me. Bend your knees and let the guy baptizing you control you. Trust me, I way more than 160 and it worked out fine. Though I do remember the witnesses whispering "Bend your knees" like 3 seconds before being dunked.

it's not all that bad.

K, for the next two months, I'll just keep on thinking "bend my knees!" :P So the person baptizing you is the one controlling you, so to speak?

K, for the next two months, I'll just keep on thinking "bend my knees!" :P So the person baptizing you is the one controlling you, so to speak?

If you keep your knees bent and body loose, let him not only guide you back, but let him push you back and bring you back up. Let him do all the work.

It's less like a dance dip, and more like leaning back to wash your hair in the shower.

I'm over 6 feet tall (the joke was we'd have the 4'10 Thai missionary baptize me).

The water was up to my waist.

I just "bent my knees" as if to sit

Water up to my shoulders

Head tipped back

Under for an eternity in half a second

And up.

No fuss.

No muss.

• 1 month later...