What do LDS believe heaven will be like?

Irishcolleen

no this is assuming that somehow I get there:lol:

Here is the thing though, if you really are lazy and uninterested in laboring in the Lord's work in the next life, you won't have to worry about it. Either you won't be there or you'll have changed your attitude along the way. That you'll be there but you've not changed your attitude along the way is incompatible. It's akin to what Loudmouth points out when people opine about how they'll have a hard time with someone who has wronged them being in heaven. Either you'll have changed your tune before then or you won't be there, you've got nothing to worry about.

And there had better be prime rib and cheesecake.

:lol: Nothing against prime rib, but I would like to think that HF takes mercy on all of his creatures and that there would be no meat in heaven. There's nothing wrong with some black beans on rice with a side of quac and chips and an almond milk strawberry shake. /soapbox

Here is the thing though, if you really are lazy and uninterested in laboring in the Lord's work in the next life, you won't have to worry about it. Either you won't be there or you'll have changed your attitude along the way. That you'll be there but you've not changed your attitude along the way is incompatible. It's akin to what Loudmouth points out when people opine about how they'll have a hard time with someone who has wronged them being in heaven. Either you'll have changed your tune before then or you won't be there, you've got nothing to worry about.

well I have a long life ahead of me so I am sure I will change something along the way

I was a little taken aback by the idea of work in the afterlife when I heard it in Gospel Principles. Don't Mormons ever get a chance to rest?? :lol: I know I don't want an eternity of singing Hosannas to HF, but I'm not sure about working in heaven either.

The Lord's rest is from the turmoil we find in this world. D&C 84; " 24 But they hardened their hearts and could not endure his presence; therefore, the Lord in his wrath, for his danger was kindled against them, swore that they should not enter into his rest while in the wilderness, which rest is the fulness of his glory."

This kind of "rest" has nothing to do with labor, it has to do with the pull we have towards the natural man. When we die we leave behind the natural, corrupted body unless one has internalized that nature into their spirits, then it stays with them. This life is a probationary period, it wasn't meant to last. It has an end, so we will rest from these conditions.

Per Malm of the Seventies; "To find rest unto our souls includes peace of mind and heart, which is the result of learning and following the doctrine of Christ, and becoming Christ’s extended hands in serving and helping others. Faith in Jesus Christ and following His teachings give us a firm hope, and this hope becomes a solid anchor to our souls. We can become steadfast and immovable. We can have lasting inner peace; we can enter into the rest of the Lord. Only if we turn away from light and truth will a hollow feeling of emptiness, like the tree’s, occupy the innermost chambers of our souls, and we even might attempt to fill that emptiness with things of no lasting value.

In view of our existence as spirit children before we came to earth and immortality in the life hereafter, this earth life is indeed but a very short moment.

It is, however, a day of probation, but it is also a day of opportunities when we choose to follow the invitation to not waste the days of our probation (see 2 Nephi 9:27). The thoughts that we dwell on inside our minds, the feelings we foster inside our hearts, and the actions we choose to take will all have a determining impact on our lives, both here and in the hereafter."