Old List of Scriptures

omega0401

I served a mission in the 70s. In our missionary discussion book, we had a page that listed about 20 scriptures in chronological order from the Book of Mormon. We would take a Book of Mormon and mark it up, circling scriptures and at the bottom write the next page number to go to, to read more marked up scriptures all the way to the back of the book. Then we would hand the book to anyone we would meet on the street.

I wish they still did that because I thought it was a good way to introduce what is actually in the Book of Mormon and an incentive to read more of it.

Well, I have lost my discussion book with those scriptures. Does anyone have that list and would you post those scriptures? I want to mark up a book and give it to a friend with my testimony in it.

I am a convert of about 2.5 years. I was given a BOM with marked up passages.

I have my Scriptures on my iPad and don't use the paper BOM. Recently while moving, I was packing up my LDS books and had occasion to look at that paper BOM again. What a pleasure it was to look at the circled passages and think of the elder who knocked on my door that chilly October night (and who is now about to get married) and of the lessons with him and other elders. It brought back dear memories of my investigator time.

So, at least of 2.5 years ago, they were still marking passages to some degree.

• 5 weeks later...

Missionary pal: Reference guide for missionaries & teachers: Thomas Keith Marston: Amazon.com: Books

I have a series of "scripture chains" that I obtained prior to my missionary service that was from the California Carlsbad Mission. I used them to mark up my scriptures with the chains on various subjects to go from one verse, to the next, to the next, etc.

It was very helpful one Sunday during my missionary service when the EQ president stood up and said "I don't have a lesson. I don't want to give a lesson. Elder Skippy... come up here and give a lesson!" Since they had a monthly theme, and the theme was one of my scripture chains, I went right through the scriptures and took up nearly the entire time! It was very helpful.